Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel learns pricing lesson, adjusts upcoming flagship price to....

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:27 AM

newest socket 2066 i9 Extreme Edition , flagship, set to debut at a mere $1999.....

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11464/intel-announces-skylakex-bringing-18core-hcc-silicon-to-consumers-for-1999

Only $200-$300 more than the last debut of their outrageously priced 10 core monstrosity....

It seems Intel has not *quite* yet learned a valuable lesson about price gouging....

I hope the 12 people that buy it are rewarded somehow..... :)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:29 AM

I'd say intel has done marketing research to determine its price point. Canon has a $6500 camera-only SLR (no lens yet) and you'd be surprised how many copies they sell...

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:57 AM

Meanwhile their $60 Pentium G4560, silently launched with no fanfare, is the best bargain buy in computing at the moment.

Things like this new i9 are interesting to read about but for 99% of us that's all it will ever be. AMD have not been standing still though and their new Threadripper and Epyc are on the way. Perhaps they'll be more affordable than the Skylake X?? They certainly appear to be huge CPU's,,,,  http://www.anandtech.com/show/11482/amd-cpu-updates-threadripper-64-pcie-lanes-epyc-june-20th

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:53 AM

I think this is the equivalent of people conned into purchasing the full Microsoft Office Suite when perhaps only 10% of the people who purchase it use it's full power. 

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:50 AM

I think this is the equivalent of people conned into purchasing the full Microsoft Office Suite when perhaps only 10% of the people who purchase it use it's full power. 

Indeed.

I am endlessly advising clients who can and will do nothing on their computers except web surf, e-mail, maybe Skype (or equivalent), and watch the occasional YouTube video that they do not need to buy that $1500 (or more expensive) machine.

These days a netbook has more than enough processing power to do all those things, do them well, and do several of them at the same time.

The idea of matching the tool to the tasks (with a bit of room to grow) has never taken root in the computing world because of the endless push by marketing for the latest and greatest, whether anyone actually needs that or not.

If you're doing something where the latest and greatest can be exploited to its full potential, or even something near that, then go for it.  Otherwise, it's a waste of money.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:53 PM

I'm guessing perhaps Intel might be privy to 'less than a stellar bargain' anticipated pricing for the ThreadRipper series.....

In any event, it will be interesting to see the various comparisons once each delivers...

#7 MDD1963

MDD1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:55 PM

Indeed.

I am endlessly advising clients who can and will do nothing on their computers except web surf, e-mail, maybe Skype (or equivalent), and watch the occasional YouTube video that they do not need to buy that $1500 (or more expensive) machine.

These days a netbook has more than enough processing power to do all those things, do them well, and do several of them at the same time.

The idea of matching the tool to the tasks (with a bit of room to grow) has never taken root in the computing world because of the endless push by marketing for the latest and greatest, whether anyone actually needs that or not.

If you're doing something where the latest and greatest can be exploited to its full potential, or even something near that, then go for it.  Otherwise, it's a waste of money.

Heck, one almost does not even need a computer anymore what with the power/speed of modern phones these days...

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:58 PM

Meanwhile their $60 Pentium G4560, silently launched with no fanfare, is the best bargain buy in computing at the moment.

Things like this new i9 are interesting to read about but for 99% of us that's all it will ever be. AMD have not been standing still though and their new Threadripper and Epyc are on the way. Perhaps they'll be more affordable than the Skylake X?? They certainly appear to be huge CPU's,,,,  http://www.anandtech.com/show/11482/amd-cpu-updates-threadripper-64-pcie-lanes-epyc-june-20th

Given the size and 4000+ pins, some of Epyc sure suspiciously looks like 2 cpus with one heat spreader, does it not? :) (Pentium D rises from the ashes!) :)

#9 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:24 AM

I have read somewhere these processors are going to be made up of two dies so yes, just like the old Pentium D's in that respect. Still I remember a time when a 32 core machine would literally have been in a cabinet the size of a car...

7sbvuf-6.png

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,262 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

MDD1963 wrote: Heck, one almost does not even need a computer anymore what with the power/speed of modern phones these days...

I have been saying for quite a while now that the term Smart Phone is a complete misnomer (though I understand its genesis).  What are now on the market as smart phones have processing power well beyond most of the PCs I worked with early in my career (mid-1980s).  They have long been microcomputers with a phone feature where the term "microcomputer" has literal meaning so far as human scale goes.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users