Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Bios Or Os. But I Think I Have Power.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jcw

jcw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 12:36 AM

Went to turn on the Computer the other day and.....nothing. I could hear the case fan come on but nothing on the screen. I started with the most logical things first and worked my way into things. I believe I have power as the case fan and fan on the video board power up. I tried another monitor with no luck (monitor is getting power). Tried another video card and no luck. Bought another motherboard (cheap at newegg) and this didn't work. Powered up and checked voltages at the power supply connector and they seem fine so I THINK the power supply is OK. I took the fan and heatsink off the CPU and powered it up to see if it was getting warm. It stayed cool so I took a chance and bought a cheap Pentium 4 CPU (socket 478) from newegg and fired it up. Nothing. AAAArh! Now I'm not sure what to do. I am thinking I could borrow a power supply and see if maybe by chance its the power supply even though the voltages coming out check out fine. My nephew thinks I should buy new memory. Its older PC2100 memory. Two DIMMS (I think thats the right term), 512 MB. It doesn't seem like it could be the memory because shouldn't the BIOS load and then check the memory and detect and error. If I remove the memory I still get nothing. I also don't think you would burn out 2 sticks of memory at the same time.
One last thing. When I power up, the HDD light stays on constantly. If I pull off the IDE cable one the back of it and power up, I can hear the hard disk spinning. If it was a hard disk problem, wouldn't the BIOS load and then you would get an HDD error message? Also, no beeps out of the PC speaker. Tried resetting CMOS also. Getting tired of throwing money at this. I am waiting till after the first of the year to build a new system when dual core pentium chip prices might dip a little. So.... what do you think I should try next?[/font]

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:36 AM

Start with a minimum configuration on the new motherboard to test what is happening -

The only things that should be connected are the keyboard and mouse, the monitor, and the video card (only if the mb doesn't have on-board video).
1 Stick of ram, one ide hard drive and one cd device.
No sound card - speakers disconnected.
Use a wired mouse and keyboard connected to PS2 ports - not USB, and absolutely not wireless.

Set the bios settings for fail safe configuration and the boot order for the cd first,

Boot from the Windows Installation cd and see if you ca install Windows.

#3 jcw

jcw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 01:50 PM

Start with a minimum configuration on the new motherboard to test what is happening -

The only things that should be connected are the keyboard and mouse, the monitor, and the video card (only if the mb doesn't have on-board video).
1 Stick of ram, one ide hard drive and one cd device.
No sound card - speakers disconnected.
Use a wired mouse and keyboard connected to PS2 ports - not USB, and absolutely not wireless.

Set the bios settings for fail safe configuration and the boot order for the cd first,

Boot from the Windows Installation cd and see if you ca install Windows.

OK
I tried connecting as described. Only a minimum. Nothing extra.
Here's the problem, I still get nothing. Nada. No blue screen, no POST, nothing. No BIOS. Don't even get so far as to begin to load windows. The only two things left to try replacing are new memory and the power supply. It seems like if it was the memory that was bad, when check memory comes up in the BIOS (which I don't get) it would say they was a problem with the memory. Once again,however, I get nothing. I checked the voltages with a multimeter on the connector coming out of the power supply and every thing looks OK there. I'm thinking that rather than throw good money after bad I'll just save my money and buy a new system. Too bad, because its a 3 year old Pentiium 4 that actually still ran rather well.
Anyone else out there have any other ideas to try? I'm most definetly open for suggestions at this point.
Thanks
Joel

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:15 PM

hm, so, this can't be a motherboard issue... can't be a videocard issue... can't be a bios issue, can't be a memory issue... doubt it's a power supply issue... so, let's see... disconnect it from the wall for fifteen seconds, plug it back in, tell me how it goes. You may want to take a look at the cords that hook all your stuff together, they don't go bad very often, but when it's something like this, it's one of the only things you haven't checked at this point. I don't suppose it to be something silly, like your contrast is turned down all the way?

Edited by Gyro, 13 September 2006 - 04:16 PM.

#5 jcw

jcw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:13 AM

hm, so, this can't be a motherboard issue... can't be a videocard issue... can't be a bios issue, can't be a memory issue... doubt it's a power supply issue... so, let's see... disconnect it from the wall for fifteen seconds, plug it back in, tell me how it goes. You may want to take a look at the cords that hook all your stuff together, they don't go bad very often, but when it's something like this, it's one of the only things you haven't checked at this point. I don't suppose it to be something silly, like your contrast is turned down all the way?

Unplug overnight and plug in---nothing. Try with known good cables and a good monitor-----nothing. Friday I am hoping to go over to my brothers and hook it up to a different power supply and maybe use his memory if it fits. If neither of these work, I am really stumped. That means I will have replaced (or tried with known good components) Motherboard, CPU, Power supply, Memory, Video card. I'm not a computer professional but I know my way around a system pretty well and I think that can only mean the hard drive. Keeping this in mind, I am running Beta Vista on this system as sort of a fun project. If it turns out that Vista is the cause of the problem......the fun project is over.
Once again, thanks in advance for any help. I'll keep others posted on progress or lack ther of.
Joel

#6 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 07:38 AM

I'm thinking memory is your best option. When my memory wasnt connected properly, I had the exact same symptoms you are describing. This might sound stupid but is your ram in the slots properly? If not, it could be busted.

#7 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:55 PM

hope it's the ram, but if not, it sounds like a faulty bios chip, that needs to be sent to someone who can fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users