Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus wireless mouse not recognised in W7.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:36 PM

I recently replaced a knackered old MS wireless mouse with an Asus WT-425 2.4 Ghz wireless mouse.  It uses it's own USB mini receiver.

I'm booting multiple OS's on this computer.  It works fine in Windows 10, was recognised instantly, no driver required. It works in Linux. It even works in the UEFI BIOS, which suggests it's a pretty standard HID device.

Windows 7 however, is another matter. I cannot get passed the "Device driver software was not successfully installed" message. No driver is available from Windows Update. No driver is available from Asus. Searching on the hardware ID leads to some sites that want you to install their driver application, but I'm wary of them.

UNinstalling the device in DM, and rebooting helps in as much as at the W7 login screen, the mouse works, but on logging in, after some activity, I get the driver error message and the mouse stops working again..

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attached File  No_driver.PNG   60.26KB   0 downloadsAttached File  No_Driver2.PNG   152.06KB   0 downloadsAttached File  No_Driver3.PNG   25.04KB   0 downloads

Edited by jonuk76, 30 May 2017 - 10:37 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:18 AM

I had the same problem (with a different mouse) and it was an infection.  Create a brand new user account and see if it works there.  Does it work in Safe Mode indefinitely?

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 31 May 2017 - 01:19 AM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:20 PM

Creating a user account didn't help.  Unfortunately it doesn't work in Safe Mode either.  However, I think I've narrowed it down a bit, in that when I uninstall the device and restart, I get mouse control until the driver detection routine for USB devices kicks in.  For example, I started up Safe Mode having just rebooted after removing the 2.4G Receiver device via Device Manager. The mouse worked at the log on screen, for about 20 seconds until the detection routine (where it detects, keyboard, USB drives etc) took over and after that it stops working. I suspect it may be using BIOS support prior to the Windows driver taking over (and failing to work).  Infuriating... 

In Windows 10, it's detected as a generic "USB Input Device".  Attempting to manually install the 2.4G Receiver as a USB Input Device in Windows 7 fails though. The driver installs, but it doesn't work.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

Creating a user account didn't help.  Unfortunately it doesn't work in Safe Mode either.  However, I think I've narrowed it down a bit, in that when I uninstall the device and restart, I get mouse control until the driver detection routine for USB devices kicks in.  For example, I started up Safe Mode having just rebooted after removing the 2.4G Receiver device via Device Manager. The mouse worked at the log on screen, for about 20 seconds until the detection routine (where it detects, keyboard, USB drives etc) took over and after that it stops working. I suspect it may be using BIOS support prior to the Windows driver taking over (and failing to work).  Infuriating... 

In Windows 10, it's detected as a generic "USB Input Device".  Attempting to manually install the 2.4G Receiver as a USB Input Device in Windows 7 fails though. The driver installs, but it doesn't work.

I suggest vetting your system for malware and also operate from the theory that the O/S is installing the wrong driver.  The fact that it works, then it doesn't, during the boot process is compelling.  Either the driver is starting off as the generic "right" driver, and then changing to a specific and "wrong" driver, or there is malware involved.  The mouse works prior to the malware being activated and then when the malware becomes active the mouse stops working.  It may be that the malware is replacing your working driver with a fake mouse driver when in fact the file is actually the malware.

Those are my two flea-bitten theories.

If it were mine I'd do a bunch of stuff, to include running Autoruns in order to see if something odd is being loaded on boot (malware).  Also I've read about driver "clean-out" programs and have read about success in using those, where a bad, corrupt device driver is completely removed so that a good, clean and working copy of the driver can be correctly installed.

Also, in fact the best, first option might be to simply run system restore and see if that fixes it.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 02 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

No malware as far as I can tell. Have scanned the installation offline with MS Defender (W10 version) and from within Windows 7 (Avast, Malwarebytes).  All clean. 

Regarding the fact it "works" during booting and then "doesn't" (but note only when I uninstall the 2.4G Receiver prior to rebooting) does suggest that it's loading an incorrect driver.  I'm thinking that possibly generic USB keyboard and mouse support is provided by the BIOS until the Windows drivers take over.  As I said, I can go into the UEFI and both keyboard and mouse work fine.

I believe it is possible to essentially "reset" the driver stack. Does anyone know how to do this?

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

No malware as far as I can tell. Have scanned the installation offline with MS Defender (W10 version) and from within Windows 7 (Avast, Malwarebytes).  All clean. 

Regarding the fact it "works" during booting and then "doesn't" (but note only when I uninstall the 2.4G Receiver prior to rebooting) does suggest that it's loading an incorrect driver.  I'm thinking that possibly generic USB keyboard and mouse support is provided by the BIOS until the Windows drivers take over.  As I said, I can go into the UEFI and both keyboard and mouse work fine.

I believe it is possible to essentially "reset" the driver stack. Does anyone know how to do this?

When I said "check for malware" I didn't mean you decide what that means, I meant follow the established procedure here on Bleeping Computer (whatever it is, I really don't know).  Malware is extremely sophisticated and constantly evolving.  It's entirely possible that you are both infected and incapable of knowing if you are infected or not.

Having said that, I also think trying to clean-out the "old" drivers and replacing them with "new" drivers is a good idea.  I read stuff about doing this sort of thing but have no idea on how to go about it.

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 02 June 2017 - 12:15 PM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Problem with the mouse solved.  Thanks Aaron for trying to help.  Here's the solution here for anyone who runs into this issue in future.  Thanks to plodr on the Sysnative forum who pointed me in the right direction. Also similar problem posted on https://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/263437-usb-composite-device-cannot-find-specified-file.html

The problem was that somehow the file usb.inf was deleted from my Windows\inf\ folder.  No idea how, possibly a rogue program uninstaller or something.  This file is not protected by Windows and therefore will not be recreated if missing using the System File Checker sfc /scannow.

Fortunately, copies are usually kept elsewhere.  So the solution is to search the Windows folder recursively for usb.inf  In my case there were copies in Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository and buried in the WinSXS folder (both the same file).

When you find it, simply copy the usb.inf to Windows\inf and reboot. If there are no copies, then you might need to get one from another machine running the same bit (32 or 64 bit) Windows 7.  But hopefully there should be a copy.

I then plugged in the problem device and when it detected as 2.4G receiver as before, uninstalled it in device manager, and selected "Scan For Hardware Changes".  This time it correctly identified the device and loaded the required drivers.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users