Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Problems... Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 roobikscubemaster

roobikscubemaster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

Hello. I have a custom built PC. Here are the specs:

CPU: i5-6600k
RAM: 16GB TridentZ
GPU: Gigabyte 1060 Gaming G-1
MOBO: Gigabyte z-170XP-SLI
Case: Corsair SPEC-1
Monitor: Asus VG245H
Monitor connected to PC via HDMI cable

I plugged in my headphones(it has a built-in mic) into the monitor, and the sound worked fine. The monitor has two jacks, each with a different symbol.

However, when I tried using the built-in microphone for Skype, it did not work. The mic is not broken, it works for my phone.

On my old Dell computer, I used to plug my headphones into the jack with the headphone symbol, and the microphone operated perfectly.

So I went into the Sound settings in the Control Panel. The sound is coming from my headphones, but in the "Sound" menu it shows that it's coming from my monitor, "VG245-4."
I have Realtek HD Audio Driver installed on my PC. When I tried making the "Realtek Digital Output" the default, I stopped getting any sound.

Also, the "Speakers" says it's "not plugged in," and I can't even configure it.

I tried using the front ports of my case, but "Realtek HD Audio Manager" only gives me the option of "headphones" or "microphones." I want both the headphones and the microphone to work at the same time.

In summary, here are my questions:
1) How do I get my monitor to recognize my headphones?
2) How can I use my headphone and its built-in microphone using one jack?

I've basically tried everything, but I'm still stuck with the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Edit: Moved topic from (Software)Audio and Video to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:01 PM

First, there isn't any headphone/microphone in a single jack.  They are separated as they are different functions, one input, the other output.  Plugging in any device to the headphone jack on the PC will disable the monitors audio out.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:15 PM

First, there isn't any headphone/microphone in a single jack.  They are separated as they are different functions, one input, the other output.  Plugging in any device to the headphone jack on the PC will disable the monitors audio out.

I will disagree with the above phrasing, but agree with the overall idea.

There are such things as single jacks that support both headphones and microphones. Just about every smartphone that I have ever used had such a jack.

This issue is that not all computers or computer equipment will necessarily have such a jack. In fact, many computers don't. They tend to have a separate jack for the headphone part and one for the microphone.

So, the first thing you need to determine is whether the jack you are trying to use supports both headphones AND a mic on the one jack.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

Hello. I have a custom built PC. Here are the specs:

CPU: i5-6600k
RAM: 16GB TridentZ
GPU: Gigabyte 1060 Gaming G-1
MOBO: Gigabyte z-170XP-SLI
Case: Corsair SPEC-1
Monitor: Asus VG245H
Monitor connected to PC via HDMI cable

I plugged in my headphones(it has a built-in mic) into the monitor, and the sound worked fine. The monitor has two jacks, each with a different symbol.

However, when I tried using the built-in microphone for Skype, it did not work. The mic is not broken, it works for my phone.

On my old Dell computer, I used to plug my headphones into the jack with the headphone symbol, and the microphone operated perfectly.

So I went into the Sound settings in the Control Panel. The sound is coming from my headphones, but in the "Sound" menu it shows that it's coming from my monitor, "VG245-4."
I have Realtek HD Audio Driver installed on my PC. When I tried making the "Realtek Digital Output" the default, I stopped getting any sound.

Also, the "Speakers" says it's "not plugged in," and I can't even configure it.

I tried using the front ports of my case, but "Realtek HD Audio Manager" only gives me the option of "headphones" or "microphones." I want both the headphones and the microphone to work at the same time.

In summary, here are my questions:
1) How do I get my monitor to recognize my headphones?
2) How can I use my headphone and its built-in microphone using one jack?

I've basically tried everything, but I'm still stuck with the same problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Edit: Moved topic from (Software)Audio and Video to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

This all seems normal and correct to me.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:35 PM

Yes, not all PC's are wired for combined mic and stereo headphones on one jack plug. One way around it should be a relatively cheap splitter like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/kenable-Adapter-Seperate-Headphone-Sockets/dp/B01M5INX8R/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1496514841&sr=1-3&keywords=3.5mm+mic+splitter

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users