Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back-Up Error 0x80070002

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:13 PM

My OS Win 7x64 Home.

I've just encountered this error while trying to back-up files. Never had this problem as it just arose this evening. The back-up completes @ 100% but never finishes. I get the message:

Check your backup results.
The backup completed but some files were skipped.”

I viewed the skipped files and it says:

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Humphrey\Pictures\2016-08-05 001. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

Kind of scratching my head here. Any help in resolving would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:20 AM

Run chkdsk.  Hard Drive errors would cause this.  What backup software are you using and where are you saving your backups to?

#3 jamescartonn

jamescartonn

• Banned Spammer
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:20 AM

First, you check Mismatch in system DataStore folder I think your data has duplicate or Mismatch kindly check your data and first you clean with antivirus.

#4 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:18 AM

Run chkdsk.  Hard Drive errors would cause this.  What backup software are you using and where are you saving your backups to?

Thanks for responding Aaron_Warrior. The HDD is less than 6 months old. I use Windows Backup and save them to rewriteable DVD's.

I could run chkdsk as you suggest, to rule out bad sectors, errors.

First, you check Mismatch in system DataStore folder I think your data has duplicate or Mismatch kindly check your data and first you clean with antivirus.

I run malware scans every night after sessions. This is not the cause. As far as a Mismatch in DataStore?? Don't know exactly what you mean. I must confess, however, that I am not the most technically proficient when it comes to computers and software.

#5 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:44 AM

Update:

I ran chkdsk and there were no bad files or sectors.

Any other suggestions ?

#6 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:17 PM

Update:

I ran chkdsk and there were no bad files or sectors.

Any other suggestions ?

Check to make sure your Power Supply is delivering correct/adequate voltage to the hardware.

FYI "writable DVD's" (optical media) is the least reliable method of data backup. Do some research.  They have a high failure rate.  I'd recommend using a secondary, internal hard drive as a data backup storage location.

It may be that the problem is with either the optical media (defective) or the CD/DVD burner.  Reinstall the device drivers for the CD/DVD burner. What is the brand of your optical media?  (Memorex is regarded to be very poor quality media.)

As an experiment, you could test the functionality of the whole system but save the back-up copy to your C: drive. Keep everything else the same BUT the optical drive and optical media.  If it fails, you'll know it's not the optical media/drive, and if it's successful, that points more towards the optical drive & media.

#7 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

Hi again Aaron_Warrior,

I appreciate your effort to help. However, if you look closely to what it says about skipped files you will notice "pictures" is indicated as the culprit (see below)

Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Humphrey\Pictures\2016-08-05 001. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002))

So, I would hazard a guess that it is looking for a specific picture file and it cannot find it, thus the error. I'm currently searching the web for a solution.

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:41 PM

Came across this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/979281/error-code-0x8100002f-and-or-error-code-0x80070002-when-you-back-up-files-in-windows-7

I tried "Scenario 2 Resolution" and then tried a backup and it succeeded. However, there is a definite drawback with this resolution. When I do further backups my AppData,Contacts, Searches and Pictures shows as not being backed up. Surely there is a solution.........but where to find it !

I've tried doing a System Restore prior to finding the link above..........that was fruitless. I have a System Image that I created in May of this year, but I'd prefer not to go that route if another resolution is out there.

#9 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:31 PM

Are all the skipped files pictures?  Are the pictures that were skipped actually there?  Can you see them?  Are they corrupted in any way?  Have you deliberately excluded pictures (.jpg files, etc...) from the data being backed up?

What about the suggestion(s) and question(s) I asked.

#10 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

Are all the skipped files pictures?  Are the pictures that were skipped actually there?  Can you see them?  Are they corrupted in any way?  Have you deliberately excluded pictures (.jpg files, etc...) from the data being backed up?

What about the suggestion(s) and question(s) I asked.

The skipped file is a picture. This is the picture that was saved "2016-08-05 001" on this date from the error posted previously. I cannot find this picture anywhere. I did not exclude pictures in backup.

The only thing I can think of (prior to running backup) was that I took a DVD that had some pictures on it and erased and formatted it. Then I used it for the backup that failed resulting in the error code. I don't know if this had any bearing on the cause of the error. The only thing I can say is that prior backups went flawlessly.

Frankly, I did not try your other suggestions because in googling for answers to this problem none of what you suggested was mentioned or even alluded to in other forums and websites, including MS.

Please do not take offense. I appreciate your willingness to try and help. Did you look at the link I posted??

I'll keep searching, surely someone has a solution.

Edited by sikntired, 31 May 2017 - 05:38 PM.

#11 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:10 PM

You are welcome to do or not do suggestions here, as it's your computer and you will feel the consequences.  However you should also be aware that frequently some Users have huge blind spots and assume they know more than they do, and/or the person trying to help them knows less than they really do.

My suggestion to run the job and drop the data somewhere other than the unreliable optical media was a good one as it isolates the cause of the problem to either "A" or "B" (optical drive and/or media, or the rest of the system).  It's a valid troubleshooting method.

Also, if you are doing incremental backups (and not full backups) and you delete the original source data, you are probably going to get those errors, as incremental backups only "copy" data that actually changes, but a totally deleted source file doesn't "change", it disappears completely.  I asked if all the missing data was pictures.  Now I wonder if all the skipped data has a 1:1 correlation with the data that was deleted previously.

Also I reiterate your data backup solution is inadequate.  In addition to being unreliable, you are spending time manually messing with it when, for the low cost of a good Hard Drive, the data backup operation could occur regularly and invisibly with no human involvement.  In addition to the standard backup of just the data, you could also be performing image backups of the system drive as a safeguard against a time when either your system data is corrupted or destroyed beyond repair, or the system drive itself fails, which is inevitable.

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2017 - 06:57 AM.

#12 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

Well, thank you for your input and observations. However,  you never really did reply in regards to my query about the link I posted which mirrors the problem I am experiencing . Perhaps I am not the only on who may suffer from the occasional "blind spot".

I can assure you that I am hardly the most tech-proficient user. But I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that the optical drive/media is the culprit when the error code specifically points to "picture". Of course then, what do I know, it could be possible.

I realize DVD's are not the "top of the list" backup media but my resources are very limited and are cost-effective for my needs. I would like to be able to use either an internal device or an external device other than the DVD's. The last time I checked their cost was $50+. So, until the time I can do that, I rely on the DVD's as they are better than doing nothing at all.

I truly appreciate your assistance.

Can you explain in detail how you would have me check the optical drive/and or media. I guess I'm somewhat reluctant as I am leery about "messing with things" that I think are working OK. And as stated previously not the most proficient.

As a footnote: I followed the procedure outlined in this link  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/979281/error-code-0x8100002f-and-or-error-code-0x80070002-when-you-back-up-files-in-windows-7 . However instead of unticking AppData, Contacts & Searches I unticked Pictures and then went back to doing the backup and completed successfully. The only drawback is that my pictures now show that they will not be backed up going forward. I was looking for a way around this.

Edited by sikntired, 01 June 2017 - 09:22 AM.

#13 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

Well good luck.  I hope everything goes well for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users