Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskbar Programs Won't Open & Missing Notification Icons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 blub

blub

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Monday night I had to restart my computer. When it booted back to the desktop, I noticed that more than half of the Notification Area icons were missing. I also couldn't open any of the programs that had missing icons. Two of the missing icons are Malwarebytes and Peerblock. I tried opening them from the Start Menu as well as their program folders, but they won't open. They appear to be running since they are listed in Task Manager. Since it was late, I shutdown the computer and went to bed.

So about 12 hrs later, I turned on the computer and am having the same problems. If I right click the Taskbar, click Properties, and select customize the Notification Area, I'm given a list of programs and icons that are typically shown in the Notification Area. However, some of the programs listed do not have icons. All I see is a little blue box. Those that don't have icons are the ones missing from the Notification Area.

I tried doing a virus scan with Avast, but it kept getting hung up at 33%. So I decided to try updating it with the latest virus definitions. It's currently still downloading them (I'm on dialup).

Any ideas as to what is wrong and how to fix it?

In case it's important, I have not installed any Windows updates since I got this computer in December. Being on dialup, it's a royal pain to do updates - it takes forever. I was going to look into doing manual updates, hoping I could download them at a relatives's house onto a flash drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:46 AM

There are a couple of things you can try. One of these would be a System Restore.  You would want to use a restore point dated prior to this problem.

How to use System Restore in Windows 10

Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

When the menu opens select Control Panel, then click/tap on Recovery, click/tap on Open System Restore.

When System Restore opens you will see the image below, click/tap on Next.

sys%20restore1_zpsybgszxv8.png

You will see the image below.  Select a restore point prior to your problem.  Please notice that in the lower left portion of there image the is the option to Show more restore points, use this if there isn't already a restore point above that will work.

sys%20restore2_zpsh2nii6mg.png

Click/tap on Next after selecting your restore point.  Click/tap on finish.

Because the AVAST scan hung at 33% I'm curious about the health of your hdd/sdd.  Please do the following.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installatioSeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 blub

blub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

I tried the Restore, but it wouldn't work right. My settings are a little different from your instructions. Once I'm in the Control Panel I have to select System & Security>System>System Protection. From there it lists the available drives that have protection enabled and I can choose a System Restore. But it wouldn't let me do anything, the drives were not coming up. In fact, under System & Security>System it indicated that Windows was not activated.

Due to a thunderstorm, I was left with no option but to shutdown the computer once Avast finished updating. But during the shutdown process, something got hungup. The screen was black, the computer was running, the keyboard lights were on and the keys worked (tested with the Caps Lock key), but there was nothing else going on. I waited a few minutes, but with the storm moving closer, I held the power button in until the computer went off. I then unplugged it for several hours.

This morning, I decided to unplug the printer/scanner from the surge protector thinking maybe there were too many things plugged in as I just plugged in the speakers last week. When I turned on the computer, everything seemed to work just fine. I don't know how long it took for everything to load once it booted to the Desktop, but everything is working now.

The only weird things were that Avast popped up a message that Real-time Protection was turned off. I turned it on and did several virus scans. The other thing is that Malwarebytes (still in the free premium trial mode) had turned on Real-time Web Protection even though I have it disabled. There's a bug in the software where as a dialup user, I can't have Real-time Web Protection on and have access to the internet.

Other than that, everything seems fine. I'm concerned as to why any of this even happened. The fact that several programs would not run is worrisome to me. Is there a way to determine what went wrong? This problem could happen again.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:32 AM

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

You will need to open the Command Prompt to run the sfc /scannow.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.  This will open the Command Prompt.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

You will see an image similar to the one below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users