Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Device Disconnect Sound on New Intel NUC

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 finvarra

finvarra

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:42 PM

Maybe you guys can help me figure this one out... because I am stumped.

I was using a self-built machine. Suddenly random USB disconnect sounds (the old windows DUH-DUH downward disconnect sound) started occurring (sometimes 3x in a row, other times not for several hours) - I disabled all system sounds and it still continued, even though I didn't notice any USB hardware blips). 

Two weeks ago, I bought the new Intel NUC7i7BNH, installed Windows 10, and within a few hours the issue suddenly started all over again. Here's what I have done:

(1) updated all drivers with Intel Driver Update Utility
(2) swapped out a wired keyboard
(3) bought a new isb mouse
(4) used bluetooth mouse and keyboard
(4) replaced a wired USB hub with a newer model ( thought this was the solution - no sounds for 2 days, then suddenly 4 times today - sontinues continue with or without it running).
(5) disabled all energy saving options in Win 10 power settings
(6) disabled all windows system sounds (in the 1st machine, I even deleted the offending WAV files - still heard them)
(7) disabled onboard audio
(8) updated all drivers and BIOS
(9) reset Windows 10
(10) have no network printers
(11) shut down a Synology NAS (sounds continued)
(12) running a Sonos controller and speakers

I received no error messages in event viewer and nothing shows up in USBDeview. So it doesn't seem to be a USB issue. It MUST be some external hardware, but I have no idea what it could be.

Here's what I have plugged into the USB slots of the NUC:

in the back: (1) the new wired hub (2) an AudioQuest - DragonFly Red USB DAC (sound issue predated this)
in the front: (1) an external hard drive
in the hub: (1) wired keyboard (2) wired mouse (3) connecting wire from battery backup and surge protector (this is also new)
2 M-Audio AV40 speakers plugged into the AudioQuest

The "disconnect" sound (or whatever it is) is coming through the speakers b/c I can lower the volume.

The randomness is what is really frustrating. For instance it was silent all Sunday morning, then 6 times in a half-hour, then nothing until this morning - just once - and then suddenly 5 times in less than 10 minutes.

I am now down to two possibilities, I believe. Either the internet connection is somehow causing this - or there's a problem with the speakers (which seems highly unlikely). Everything else has been investigated (settings changed, drivers updated, devices swapped out, etc) ad nauseum. I was thinking about when this started and it seemed to occur after a power outage. (oops--2 more sounds as I was typing this...) Due to some issues with Comcast and no other choice, I am using DSL - and when power returned I had some difficulty getting the internet up again. Is that a possibility... or am I just flailing? At any rate, I re-signed (resigned) with Xfinity today and will see if that makes any diff.

Is there any thing else I may have missed? Aside from this random issue, the computer is great... and I would just like to figure out where the sound is coming from so if possible I can disable it.

*I would appreciate ANY direction as this has been very frustrating. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

Maybe you guys can help me figure this one out... because I am stumped.

I was using a self-built machine. Suddenly random USB disconnect sounds (the old windows DUH-DUH downward disconnect sound) started occurring (sometimes 3x in a row, other times not for several hours) - I disabled all system sounds and it still continued, even though I didn't notice any USB hardware blips). 

Two weeks ago, I bought the new Intel NUC7i7BNH, installed Windows 10, and within a few hours the issue suddenly started all over again. Here's what I have done:

Just to make sure I understand, does the above mean you have encountered the issue on two different computers...the "self-built machine" and the Intel NUC7i7BNH? Or am I not understanding and there is only one computer?

#3 finvarra

finvarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

Yes, and I *think* since posting I may have isolated it to a bad switch in my router. Hopefully...

#4 finvarra

finvarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

Just got a new router and new IPS - within 5 minutes, sound started again. That is the last piece of hardware in common between old and new computers - except the speakers themselves.

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

Have you tried connecting the speakers directly to the computer without the USB DAC?

#6 finvarra

finvarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

Yes. Only difference - NUC has only headphone jack so it was terrible sound. But again... this issue predates the USB DAC. I can't believe it could be the speakers - when I hear the noise, there is no sound drop off... and I can control the volume of the noise. Frustrating!

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

Yes. Only difference - NUC has only headphone jack so it was terrible sound. But again... this issue predates the USB DAC. I can't believe it could be the speakers - when I hear the noise, there is no sound drop off... and I can control the volume of the noise. Frustrating!

I realize it predated the USB DAC, but it still might help to eliminate as many things as possible.

From what I recall, the disconnect sound will not happen with ethernet connections or directly connected speakers. It will happen with USB devices for sure. So, generally, the best way to proceed would be to disconnect all USB devices and see if the sound still happens (with speakers connected directly). If the sound happens then, it might be some internal USB header connection or some other internal piece of hardware. If the sound does not happen, then you start reconnecting one USB device at a time. You may have done that, but I am not 100% sure from what you wrote (probably me not understanding).

#8 finvarra

finvarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 05:26 PM

I'll try that - in fact, I'll connect a different set of speakers.

Somehow I don't think it's USB related, however - if it were, you would expect something to show up in USBDeview, correct?

btw... I'm noticing that the sound is sometimes not the two-tone "DUH-DUH" (downward) device disconnect sound, but more like just one. Does that make sense?

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 05:40 PM

I'll try that - in fact, I'll connect a different set of speakers.

Somehow I don't think it's USB related, however - if it were, you would expect something to show up in USBDeview, correct?

I have never used USBDeview, so I don't know fully how it works or how well it works. In looking at its description on its webpage, then it should show all USB devices.

I am not completely clear how you are using USBDeview such that it would help diagnose the problem if USB related. Are you saying that when you had everything connected that you have USBDeview running and everything still showed connected even after hearing the sound? If so, I am not sure how quickly that program would show disconnects. So, what if it is some intermittent problem with one USB device where it disconnects very momentarily? I don't know if that program might help catch that.

In general, I tend to like doing things the "old fashioned way". You will get people on this forum who will ask you to run this program or that program and post the log (an example is MiniToolBox). For general problems, I don't like that way (it is definitely appropriate for potential malware type problems). I would rather ask questions and propose some suggested things to try and see if things change. Maybe it is because I just don't like having to scroll through those long reports. :grinner: Or it could be that just trust asking questions more than what some program tells me (even if that program might tell me "good stuff").

So, if it were me, my approach would be to disconnect everything (get as "minimal setup as possible") and see if the sound still happens. If the sound still happens, then that rules out some external peripheral that has been disconnected. If the sound stops, then it must be one of the peripherals that you disconnected. Then you reattach one at a time to see which one is just added when the sound happens again. Then that is likely the problem. To verify, you can disconnect everything again and then just connect that one device to see if the sound happens again.

As I said, it is the "old fashioned way" (used the same method with start up program conflicts way back with Mac OS version 7 through 9). It is kind of laborious, it generally works.

btw... I'm noticing that the sound is sometimes not the two-tone "DUH-DUH" (downward) device disconnect sound, but more like just one. Does that make sense?

This does raise the thought that was nagging me at the back of my head...what if our assumption that it is the device disconnect sound is wrong and it is something else making the sound? To some degree, the above approach might help with that. If it is NOT the device disconnect sound, then you would still hear the sound with EVERY disconnected (except some speakers directly connected...you need to hear the sound somehow :grinner:).

#10 finvarra

finvarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:04 PM

I've run USBDeview for days and nothing shows up - even after numerous *sound* events. I have also disconnected every USB device (used a bluetooth keyboard and mouse) - sound continued. And I have to stress again how random it is - nothing for hours last night, one small sound this morning, nothing until about 45 minutes ago, and then 3 really loud sounds within 10 seconds (kind of like thunder when lightning is near). And nothing ever shows up in event viewer... so I can't believe it's Windows related.

For a time, I thought it might be a network issue. However, I switched ISPs and it continued unabated,

My next step is to disconnect the new computer and connect another one with the same hardware, etc. - and see if the sound issue continues. That way I can at least if it's a problem with the NUC computer or something external.

At this point, however, I've replaced or swapped out everything except for the speakers. The NUC only has USB inputs and a headphone jack... and the only other speakers I have won't work in that configuration.

It's so frustrating because I get used to the silence and then out of nowhere (it doesn't matter what I'm doing or if I'm nothing at all) THE SOUND. Ugh!

Thanks for sticking with this...

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:58 PM

I've run USBDeview for days and nothing shows up - even after numerous *sound* events. I have also disconnected every USB device (used a bluetooth keyboard and mouse) - sound continued. And I have to stress again how random it is - nothing for hours last night, one small sound this morning, nothing until about 45 minutes ago, and then 3 really loud sounds within 10 seconds (kind of like thunder when lightning is near). And nothing ever shows up in event viewer... so I can't believe it's Windows related.

You mention the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I believe you said the same sound happens with wired keyboard and/or mouse. Is that true? Just making sure I completely understand.

For a time, I thought it might be a network issue. However, I switched ISPs and it continued unabated,

I don't believe the network disconnecting will make an alert sound, but I have to admit that I am going on memory that might be fuzzy. I have not been actively using Windows in a long time. I might test that later tonight with my new Windows tower build that I finally got around to completing (if I remember).

My next step is to disconnect the new computer and connect another one with the same hardware, etc. - and see if the sound issue continues. That way I can at least if it's a problem with the NUC computer or something external.

That would be good test. I would suggest starting first with minimal things connected first, but that is just me.

At this point, however, I've replaced or swapped out everything except for the speakers. The NUC only has USB inputs and a headphone jack... and the only other speakers I have won't work in that configuration.

It's so frustrating because I get used to the silence and then out of nowhere (it doesn't matter what I'm doing or if I'm nothing at all) THE SOUND. Ugh!

Thanks for sticking with this...

Kind of creates the urge to want to smash things, eh?!? :grinner: I have encountered that feeling many times in the past. I now firmly believe that my computers are truly psychic and can tell when I am really, honestly starting to think about that sledge hammer in the garage. They seem to start behaving when those thoughts start to get somewhat serious. :grinner:

On a more serious note, we might need to try thinking of other possible causes for the sound. Could it be some sort of alert sound? I believe that Windows 10 has some alert/notification system, but I don't have very much experience with it at all (I installed it on my new build...first time I have it on one of my computers). Is there some program running that might make some sound?

#12 finvarra

finvarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

(1) Yes, same sound with bluetooth and usb mouse/keyboard.

(2) I've definitely ruled out network disconnecting as the source.

(3) I'm going to plug in computer #2 with the same hardware (will start minimalist) and computer #1 (the NUC) where I had #2. It'n on the same network - only difference is it will now hook up to a TV using HDMI sound.

(4) My wife had to take that sledgehammer away from me several times (actually last weekend, I put the little NUC monster in the closet) and urges a Zen attitude.

(5) I've already disabled Windows 10 notifications - so I don't think that's the cause.

I'm trying to remember when this all began.... I think it dates shortly after we had a power outage in early spring. But I don't think that's cause b/c I have everything hooked up to a new battery backup.

Thanks again!

Edited by finvarra, 03 June 2017 - 07:27 PM.

#13 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:15 PM

(1) Yes, same sound with bluetooth and usb mouse/keyboard.

That is what I thought, but wanted to double check.

(2) I've definitely ruled out network disconnecting as the source.

As I said, I don't remember network disconnects making a sound, but it has been a LONG time since actively using Windows plus it was older versions of Windows). I will test with my new build in a bit (I am in the middle of imaging the original setup and then will make a clone disk of the setup...both for recovery purposes).

(3) I'm going to plug in computer #2 with the same hardware (will start minimalist) and computer #1 (the NUC) where I had #2. It'n on the same network - only difference is it will now hook up to a TV using HDMI sound.

Sounds like a good plan.

(4) My wife had to take that sledgehammer away from me several times (actually last weekend, I put the little NUC monster in the closet) and urges a Zen attitude.

Being Zen is overrated sometimes. :grinner:

(5) I've already disabled Windows 10 notifications - so I don't think that's the cause.

I'm trying to remember when this all began.... I think it dates shortly after we had a power outage in early spring. But I don't think that's cause b/c I have everything hooked up to a new battery backup.

Thanks again!

It could have messed something up internally. Did you have the NUC at that time? If so, was it hooked up? Kind of sounded like it was new. If it was new, then it should not be anything power outage related.

If you have disabled Windows 10 notifications, then you are correct in that should not be the cause.

It could be something else. I will have to explorer Windows 10 some to see if anything comes to mind.

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

I did test disconnecting the network cable from my Windows 10 desktop. Not a peep. This lines up with what I remember.

#15 finvarra

finvarra
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:12 PM

At this point, I would just be happy to determine where that bleepingcomputer sound is coming from - so I can disable it.  Otherwise, the NUC is great. (Of course, that reminds me of the old joke about Lincoln's assassination: "Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users