Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strava on iPhone 5c, iOS 10.3.2, "background processes disabled" error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

I've recently started running, and have downloaded the Strava app onto my iPhone 5c.  It currently has the latest and greatest version of iOS, namely 10.3.2

Whenever I try to record an activity, I get the following error:

Background App refresh Disabled

Strava cannot track your activity while background processes are disabled

It happens as soon as I tap the 'record' button.

It seems to be an issue that's known and 'out there' but nobody seems to have any sensible or viable reasons or solutions to it.

Location Services are turned on

Airplane Mode - Off (although this should really be "aeroplane mode"

Bluetooth is On

It getting a GPS signal - as evidenced by a green banner message and an accurate location on the map.

At least I know I did the 11.5K this lunchtime - even if Strava doesn't - but has anyone else seen this and if so, what's the solution?

Thanks!

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:40 PM

Go to the Settings app. Select "General". Scroll down to the section labeled "Background App Refresh" and select it. Scroll through the list until you find Strava and make sure Background App Refresh is turned on for Strava (the switch should be green). If it is not on, does turning it on help?

#3 Angoid

Angoid
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:48 AM

Bravo smax013!  That appeared to do the trick!

Thanks!

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

Just so you know, you will want to disable Background App Refresh on as many apps as you can. The more apps you leave it enabled for, the faster your battery will drain.

#5 Angoid

Angoid
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 03:01 AM

Hi smax013, apologies only just seen your final post (as problem resolved, I hadn't checked back again apologies for that)...

Yes, I end up charging it virtually every day, that's one of my low-priority tasks to do - go through and disable the b/g tasks I don't need.

Or just blanket disable when I'm not needing to use Strava, as I don't really use them for any other reason anyway.

Thanks for the tip!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users