Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I boot iMac from anything other than the OS

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:41 AM

Recently I scavenged up an old intel iMac running os X leopard. Since it is so outdated, most modern applications don't run or even install, but I want to try breathing some life into it. It is 64 bit, has a decent processor, and has 2GB of RAM. I want to install ubuntu 16.04(or 17.04) to see what it can do with more "in date" software. Does anyone know how I would do this... any suggestions are welcome. 

Thanks Ahead Of Time   :bananas:

Specs

2 Gb of RAM

2.16 GHz intel core 2 duo

64 bit architecture

EFI Architecture: 32-Bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:49 AM

Note to members:

What we are attempting to establish here is not how to install Ubuntu, but rather how to boot the mac from anything other than the OS.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/648111/installing-ubuntu-to-an-old-imac/?p=4250503

Edited by Al1000, 30 May 2017 - 08:50 AM.

#3 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:54 AM

Thank you for clarifying AI1000

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

You're welcome.

I've changed the title of this topic to reflect the nature of the enquiry.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:52 AM

If you have a USB port on the computer use Unetbootin for a MAC and any linux iso you wish to create a bootable flash drive. I am not sure how the BIOS is set up on a MAC or what key to push at boot to select the USB flash drive or even if your computer supports booting form a USB flash drive.

https://unetbootin.github.io/

Edit: Perhaps this will help.

http://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/apple/how-to-use-os-x-boot-options-to-troubleshoot-your-mac-1305645

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 May 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#6 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

the booting from the drive is the main issue, I don't know if BIOS is even accessible from macs... but I know it is possible.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

So you are saying you cannot boot a bootable disk in the IMAC? How did you burn the DVD if using a DVD? In the link I posted there is a step showing what key to press during boot to select your DVD drive. See #4. Press the Option key during boot will show all your bootable devices.

#8 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:36 AM

Oh, I did not notice the second link... I will test that out.

Edited by TheGreatOBO, 30 May 2017 - 10:37 AM.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

Just in case you were wondering, the most current macOS version Mac can likely run (I am 98% sure I have the right model from your description) is 10.7.5 (aka Lion), which is two versions newer than Leopard (aka 10.5.x). You can certainly find Snow Leopard (aka 10.6.x) retail discs* on sites like eBay and likely even find a Lion install disc (I found one). Lion is a bit trickier as it was primarily available through the App Store and all App Store purchases are tied to an AppleID, so you would need the AppleID used to purchase Lion through the App Store in order to install it if bought through the App Store. Apple did, however, also sell install USB drives and I believe even optical discs for it that were not tied to an AppleID. So, you just need to be careful about which you buy if you choose to go that route.

* For install discs that existed prior to Apple moving all OS upgrades/purchase through the App Store, there are two types of install discs. There are retail install discs. They will have a colorful label on the disc. Retail discs can be used with any Mac that supports the version of the macOS. Then there are the recovery discs that originally came with a Mac. They will have a mono color (typically grey) label on the disc. Recovery discs will ONLY work with the specific model that they originally shipped with. In other words, if you Mac is a 2006 original 15" MBP, then a recovery disc from a newer MBP or from an iMac will not work with it.

#10 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

Knowing ubuntu is pretty lightweight, and free... I have decided os x is not worth it. I have definitely considered it... but I am not a huge fan of os x in the first place, and I love ubuntu... so in the end it seemed like a no brainer in my situation  

#11 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:29 PM

Knowing ubuntu is pretty lightweight, and free... I have decided os x is not worth it. I have definitely considered it... but I am not a huge fan of os x in the first place, and I love ubuntu... so in the end it seemed like a no brainer in my situation

I figured you likely would not be interested, but just wanted you to have the info if you ever are. Since 10.7 is so old, it is no longer supported and would not be the best idea to run it for a computer on the Internet even though the macOS does not have a lot of threats for it. It would be more if you wanted "play" with the macOS.

#12 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:26 AM

Does it support os x 10.10, or is that too new.

#13 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

IT IS BOOTING :lmao: . sorry about caps, I am just really excited.

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Does it support os x 10.10, or is that too new.

As I said, assuming I have your model correct from your description, the newest version it can support would be 10.7.4. So, no, it cannot run 10.10.

#15 TheGreatOBO

TheGreatOBO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

New Question, How would I go about overclocking the iMac (If that is even possible). I downloaded minecraft (knowing that it is not the most graphically demanding game around.), just it see what it could do... but with the render distance down to 2, it still struggled to hit 30 fps. I am not sure that a higher clock speed would help much, but it is worth a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users