Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PPPoE Russia Vs Dynamic IP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 j_bins

j_bins

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:56 AM

TP-Link WR841N Router

Wimax

Hi

Recently our ISP asked us to change our Router 'Wan Connection Type' from 'Dynamic IP' to 'PPoe/ PPoE Russia'. Should I be suspicious? I was unable to connect to Netflix and they said this would fix the problem (and it has). When the same problem has occured previously, Netflix Support suggested that the ISP flshed thier DNS Cache. we passed on the message and the problem was fixed.

I live in Rural Ireland and the Internet Services are not great. Currently we have 15 Mbps unlimited DL for a monthly subscription. The main problem is dropouts, Listening to a Podcast is frustrating as you have to keep relocating the place in the stream where the connection was lost.

Anyhow, I have tried to read up on PPPoE Vs Dynamic and the pros and cons but to be honest its all a bit confusing. What are your thoughts? Is there any advantage of one over the other?

:)

Edited by j_bins, 30 May 2017 - 06:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

Hello

For the ISP there might be an advantage in using PPPoE. This could be related to user verification, keeping an eye on traffic used, automation of billing, assigning a permanent ip and other operational things.

For the end user IPoE is easier. Just set the router to DHCP and you are set.
PPPoE requires a username and password.

As for differences the tunneling will steal away 8 bytes from max packet transfer size.
Ethernet has 1500 bytes length as opposed to 1492 bytes on PPPoE

In practise there will be no difference between the two :)

Hth!

tfn

#3 j_bins

j_bins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

Thanks so much for making things clearer Tfn and taking teh time to reply.

Really helpful.

:) :) :)

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:11 PM

Glad I could help :)

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic