Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser problems in Linux Mint...

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 RJNB

RJNB

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:59 AM

Hello,

I have recently installed Linux Mint Xfce 18.1 on my laptop (specs in signature)...

Ever since I have started using it, I have been facing problems viewing web pages...Firefox keeps loading some websites for several minutes while some don't load at all-Firefox just says that the connection timed out... Thinking that this might be an issue with Firefox, I installed another browser- Midori. The same problem in Midori as well.

Moreover, I am having trouble posting on this site: I found out a few days ago that my long posts were not being saved, so I tried posting something in the 'tests and scribbles' forum- just a few words and the post was saved! (Sorry again for the trouble I caused due to that post...)

So it seems like I can't post more than a few words per post...

Have tried rebooting several times, clearing history, cookies and cache, starting Firefox in safe mode as well as refreshing Firefox...

This seems to be only a Firefox Linux version issue as Firefox for Windows is loading all those websites properly (that's why I could post here)...

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

RJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:09 AM

I wonder if it is a Wifi issue as I've been telling others today.  I would boot up Mint 17.3 do some posting etc. to see if all is working well, use a USB if possible because the DVD's are slow.  

It may be better to post an inxi -Fz output also instead of Speccy for us linux guys.  Don't loose the Speccy though, hopefully you got the Text of Speccy saved also.

pcpunk

Edited by pcpunk, 30 May 2017 - 12:07 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:57 AM

I wonder if it is a Wifi issue

Me too. RJ, are you using wifi, and if so can you connect your laptop using ethernet and see if the problem persists?

#4 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

Hello,

I always connect to the internet via an ethernet cable.

Thanks

RJ

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:24 PM

RNJB, Do you know how to post a inxi -Fz Specs info?  That would be a good start!  This could still be a Connection issue, even Ethernet.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Hello,

No, I didn't know how to do that, but I learnt it just now! :)

Attached File  New Text Document.txt   1.97KB   15 downloads

Thanks

RJ

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:31 PM

Try the Wireless and see if you have the same problems.  

Don't have time right now to look into it but will, and already have, but want to see what drivers your Network Card is using.  For some reason don't see your Network Card in the inxi -Fz.  Next time you can just Copy Paste it into your Post.  Or Select the "< >" in the Post Toolbar and Paste it into that and Click Ok.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

I wonder if it's the hardware that's the issue, as it looks rather old.

Edited by Al1000, 01 June 2017 - 08:45 AM.

#9 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:19 PM

Sometimes I get that when /* capturing ingression data from torrents */

They say file sharing using torrents taxes the computer down.  It should not.  It really shouldn't.  Try using a http proxy.  Sometimes it clears things up. 
You know how to use one right?  Those are the http proxy sites that have this little input bar and it stealths you.  You add the address to http proxy settings.  It works just fine that way.

#10 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:01 AM

Hello,

I wonder if it's the hardware that's the issue, as it looks rather old.

I doubt that hardware could be the issue... I didn't have this issue while I was using Linux Mint 17.3 Mate (from my external hdd) on the same laptop...

Sometimes I get that when /* capturing ingression data from torrents */

They say file sharing using torrents taxes the computer down.  It should not.  It really shouldn't.  Try using a http proxy.  Sometimes it clears things up. 
You know how to use one right?  Those are the http proxy sites that have this little input bar and it stealths you.  You add the address to http proxy settings.  It works just fine that way.

Nope, I have never used a proxy and don't know how to use one either... Will have a look at it though...

Thanks!

RJ

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:09 AM

I doubt that hardware could be the issue... I didn't have this issue while I was using Linux Mint 17.3 Mate (from my external hdd) on the same laptop...

Older drivers (for older hardware) are deprecated, as newer drivers (for newer hardware) are included in newer releases.

The reason I suspect hardware is the issue, is because Mint 18.1 is newer than Mint 17.3, and you didn't mention having this issue when you were running Mint 17.3.

Perhaps I could word this differently. I suspect the issue could be a lack of suitable drivers (for your hardware) in Mint 18.1. :)

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 05 June 2017 - 06:26 AM

Hi

Have you tested your download speed? Copy paste this into terminal.

curl -s  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python -

#13 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

Hello,

Hi

Have you tested your download speed? Copy paste this into terminal.

curl -s  https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py | python -

guUmkg0.png

Older drivers (for older hardware) are deprecated, as newer drivers (for newer hardware) are included in newer releases.

The reason I suspect hardware is the issue, is because Mint 18.1 is newer than Mint 17.3, and you didn't mention having this issue when you were running Mint 17.3.

Perhaps I could word this differently. I suspect the issue could be a lack of suitable drivers (for your hardware) in Mint 18.1. :)

So, is there any way to check if more suitable drivers exist? Or is removing Mint 18.1 and installing 17.3 the only solution?

Try the Wireless and see if you have the same problems. 

Well, I don't have any wireless connection, just a broadband connection through an ethernet cable...

Thanks!

RJ

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

Test out 17.3 first. 

I thought this was a laptop, is it that you just don't have a Router? or the laptop wireless don't work?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

So, is there any way to check if more suitable drivers exist? Or is removing Mint 18.1 and installing 17.3 the only solution?

If you didn't have the same problems when you used Mint 17.3 previously, as you are currently having with Mint 18.1, that would indicate that Mint 17.3 comes with more suitable drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users