Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer hangs, and occasionally BSOD

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 tatertots87

tatertots87

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:35 PM

to call it a bleeping computer is incredibly apt in this situation. i built this computer on cyber monday of 2016, because my old computer was some 8 years old. so i went to newegg after using pcpartpicker (along with asking advice on various forums) and ended up with the following:

-MSI H110M PRO-VD PLUS LGA 1151 Intel H110 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 Micro ATX Motherboards - Intel

-PowerColor Radeon RX 470 DirectX 12 AXRX 470 4GBD5-3DHDV2/OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support ATX Video Card

-Thermaltake Smart Series 500W SLI/CrossFire Ready Continuous Power ATX 12V V2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply Haswell Ready PS-SPD-0500NPCWUS-W

-Intel Core i5-6400 6 MB Skylake Quad-Core 2.7 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56400 Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

-APACER Panther DDR4 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model EK.08G2T.GEC

that was directly copied from the order invoice. when i had everything finally in my hands and built, i decided to test it out on a game called Phantasy Star Online 2. it was around december/january and occasionally the computer would simply freeze, and my screen would look like colorful version of the static you'd see on TV. around march i tried a different game, much older from 2010 or so. my old computer was able to handle running 2 instances of it at once, but this computer would often crash after a seemingly random set of time. i stopped because i thought something was wrong with the game itself. i recently picked up another old game, Final Fantasy XI and the problem is occurring here too. it utterly annoys me because i know for absolute sure that this computer can easily run all the above, because my old computer could and that was a dual core 9600 GT.

i nabbed a picture from my computer screen with my phone after it crashed once: http://i.imgur.com/e6fhlg7.jpg

i also followed a number of differing steps from various threads i found here via google. i've tried:

1. Memtest86 - 13 passes not a single failure

2. Video Card Stress Test - temperature never exceeded 70 C and ran for 2 hours

3. BurnIn Test - ran this 3 times, everything passed

4. HDD Test - old HDD was apparently dying, replaced. new HDDs have no errors, BSOD still occurs

5. Power Saving - every single option is disabled, as stated by others

6. Power supply was changed to a 650 Watt, problem still occurred

7. Surge Protector changed, along with the wall outlet used. problem still occurred.

8. Windows 7 reinstall - did not help

9. Driver Verifier - ran 24 hours, no issues or BSOD

10. Netbios setting - disabled as i grasp for straws, still BSOD

11. Virus/Malware scan - completely clean

12. Speccy open during BSOD, temperatures never exceed 50-60 C. overheating isn't an issue.

13. Factory settings on motherboard/processor, i did not tweak with OC settings at all. mainly because i do not know how, nor is it too important to me.

what bugs me is the computer simply hangs and there's absolutely no way the event log will catch the error. the few times i got a Windows Error Report thing i copied it and placed in a text file. i've also added my WhoCrashed output hoping it can help. when i built this computer, my dad helped me. he's built so many that i trust his word that everything was put in place properly with nothing getting snagged or anything like that.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ItzRetro

ItzRetro

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:31 PM

Hi there,

When looking at the Who Crashed Output,

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x6F4C0) 

Kept on popping up and this is what Wikipedia said.

ntoskrnl.exe (Short for Windows NT operating system kernel,) also known as kernel image, provides the kernel and executive layers of the Windows NT kernel space, and is responsible for various system services such as hardware virtualization, process and memory management, thus making it a fundamental part of the system. It contains the cache manager, the executive, the kernel, the security reference monitor, the memory manager, and the scheduler.[1]

and i found an article about someone getting blue screens from Ntoskrnl.exe here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-3023677/bsod-caused-ntoskrnl-exe.html

So as of right now i think there is a problem going on with you kernel, im still researching this. 

Thanks for reading. 

~Retro

Edited by ItzRetro, 31 May 2017 - 08:32 PM.

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Wow, good troubleshooting so far. Please try updating your BIOS and reseat everything in your case. Just one loose connection can cause a multitude of errors... be sure to put your graphics card on another motherboard slot.

A dump from May 20 indicated you had a STOP 0xC4 bugcheck, which means that Driver Verifier detected a violation and blue screened the system. What's strange however is that Driver Verifier appeared to be completely disabled at the time. Anyway, are you 100% sure you've turned off Driver Verifier?

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

I also meant to include that you should uninstall all MSI software, as they are known to cause BSODs.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 tatertots87

tatertots87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

i'm fairly positive i turned off driver verifier. correct me if i'm wrong, but i had to type /verifier reset in an elevated command prompt, and restart? that's what i did. i will try reseating and possibly moving the video card if my motherboard allows it. is there any insight as to what the various bugcheck codes can be pointing to?

#6 tatertots87

tatertots87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:57 PM

a small update: i looked inside my computer case, and absolutely everything is secure and not loose. zip ties are holding the cables out of the way and not coming into contact with any of the hardware. it's practically dust free as well, but i gave a good once over to move any excess dust. the only new change was that i moved the ram into the second slot. i also removed the MSI programs as per request.

i could not move my graphics card into a new slot.

EDIT: moving the RAM did not help. it still crashed.

Edited by tatertots87, 02 June 2017 - 02:25 AM.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

I'd reseat everything to be sure. It's not just whether if everything is connected firmly — correct connections matter a lot. I've seen cases in which users connected two cables wrongly and got a plethora of BSODs. We all make mistakes sometimes, trust me. :)

Have you updated your BIOS yet?

Best regards,

bwv848

#8 tatertots87

tatertots87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:43 AM

yes, everything is seated and connected properly. and yes, my BIOS has been flashed. i forgot to mention that was one of the things i did (and the problem still persists).

#9 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2017 - 09:43 PM

Will you please run Prime95 and note how the system behaves? Please read the details in the link.

Best regards,

bwv848

#10 tatertots87

tatertots87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 12:46 AM

i ran the small FFT test. after 1 hour and 48 minutes (marked by the computer clock), my computer froze. my computer temperatures, according to speccy, never passed 57 C for my motherboard and processors. the thing is, i passed every test sent my way.

EDIT: also ran a full blend test, it lasted 14 minutes before freezing up. for some reason, i've noticed that there's a strange noise my computer makes after a seemingly random period of time. it sounds somewhat like a jet engine being turned on.

Attached Files

Edited by tatertots87, 05 June 2017 - 01:19 AM.

#11 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 03:47 PM

Let's have a look at a Speccy report:

:step1: Speccy by Piriform
  • Download and save Speccy from here.
  • Navigate to the directory in which you saved the ZIP file.
  • Right-click on the downloaded ZIP file, click Extract all, taking note of where the files will be extracted, and then hit Extract.
  • Open up the extracted folder, right-click on Speccy64.exe (or Speccy.exe, if your system is 32-bit), and select Run as administrator. Please accept any User Account Control prompts.
  • After waiting a while, click File, then Publish Snapshot.
  • Hit Yes to the Publish Snapshot dialog, then click Copy to Clipboard. Paste the URL in your next reply.
We'll move on from there. While waiting for a response, can you remove the graphics card and use your on-board Intel graphics? I would like to find out whether if your graphics card is a suspect, or whether another hardware component (likely the CPU or even the motherboard) is to blame.

Regards,
bwv848

#12 tatertots87

tatertots87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Xnpk5VNTX0buKNRCYjXaNel

i used speccy to monitor my temperatures, and everything was great. this URL is currently under load of 1 game client, idles around 40 C with nothing loaded (the graphics card). i will unload the card and edit this post after testing.

EDIT: now the game does not appear able to launch, and Driver Booster is showing sound/video/game controllers as faulty. it shows the driver using a 2010 version. i went ahead and updated it.

Edited by tatertots87, 05 June 2017 - 06:24 PM.

#13 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

Curiously, do you know the sub-vendor of your graphics card (e.g. MSI, GIGABYTE, EVGA, etc.)?

#14 tatertots87

tatertots87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

MSI

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 07:56 PM

Kindly try these older AMD drivers and see whether if they help. :)

http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/amd_w764_16.12.1.zip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users