Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security updates for Vista after end of support - Windows Server 2008 patches

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#76 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:36 AM

....If you go to https://askwoody.com/ms-defcon-system/ you will see Woody currently has his MS Patch Recommendation at MS-DEFCON 2 (i.e., Patch reliability is unclear. Unless you have an immediate, pressing need to install a specific patch, don't do it).

.... There is no header that indicates which patch is being rated.   I am guessing that it updates the rating after each new Patch Tuesday.  Is that right?

Hi KYKaren:

Woody Leonhard's MS Patch Recommendation at https://askwoody.com/ms-defcon-system/ changes throughout the month.  It was initially raised to MS-DEFCON-1 on 12-Oct-2017 (see his article MS-DEFCON 1: Patches failing at a phenomenal rate) and will be lowered to MS-DEFCON-3 or MS-DEFCON-4 later in the month when he feels it's safe for most users to go ahead and install the October 2017 Patch Tuesday updates.

This MS-DEFCON system is only meant to be a general guide for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 users that gives them a simple way to gauge the overall reliability of the Patch Tuesday updates. At the current MS-DEFCON-2, he still recommends that users go ahead and install individual security updates that patch vulnerabilities that are being actively exploited (e.g., like the 17-Oct-2017 KB4049179 security update for Adobe Flash for IE11 delivered via Windows Update for Win 8.x and 10 users).

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.4.0 * NS Premium v22.11.0.41 * MB Premium v3.2.2 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3

Edited by lmacri, 19 October 2017 - 07:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#77 Sardoc

Sardoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'm back. The op went ok, and I've recovered enough to be able to sit down for a while more or less comfortably. Time for updates.

These are October 2017 updates......

DST changes: KB4023136. Originally released in May 2017, however it wasn't listed anywhere until I bumped into it on this list.

Hi Sardoc,

I find in the Microsoft Update Catalog that KB4023136 (May 24, 2017) has been replaced by KB4020322 (June 26, 2017)-- DST changes in Windows for Haiti and Morocco. :-)

Thank you for this one! I'll add it to next month's list, because for some reason I can't edit the post with October's patches. There must be some sort of time limit for editing posts unfortunately.

#78 VolumeZ

VolumeZ

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

OK, VZ, RE: 4042007 and 4042050  --  what's your advice??  Both?  Only one?  If only one, which one?  KYKaren

Both. None has a replacing effect on the other.  :)

#79 level2

level2

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:58 AM

Greetings, Glad to have found this thread~thank you for providing such information``` I'll look this computer over to see if I can apply these updates and the information provided to this machine with the ability I have```

Richard

#80 KYKaren

KYKaren

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 06 November 2017 - 10:58 AM

I'm still in morning, since October 19.  My Vista x86 mostly expired then.  The display is dark, although I can hear the signal to login and I can network to it from my Windows 7.  This happened in stages ... little by little the display got worse.  I don't think it's was due to a virus. At the outset, I was able to do a Malwarebytes complete scan and no infection was reported. I kept up with WS2008 patches April through September and was about to install the October patches.  Fortunately, I had everything backed up, so I have lost no files.  I loved that Vista machine and I will miss it immensely.

Edited by KYKaren, 06 November 2017 - 10:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users