Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Security updates for Vista after end of support - Windows Server 2008 patches

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#16 KYKaren

KYKaren

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

SO I think stands for "Security Only", whereas the SQR is probably "Security and Quality Release".

You are exactly right.  I should have read readme.txt, which I did not see because I looked only at the x86 folder.  Thanks for your patience.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 KYKaren

KYKaren

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

Every update installed correctly, though WS2008 security update KB4018196 said it wasn't applicable.

I looked up KB4018196 in the Microsoft Update Catalog and it says it's for x86 only.

#18 KYKaren

KYKaren

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:46 PM

In this thread, I will compile a list of monthly updates for WS2008, and provide feedback on how the installation process went on a virtual machine running Win Vista x64. If you're interested and want to take this opportunity, be my guest, though be advised that while the updates will most likely install successfully, you're still doing this at your own risk.

So without further ado, this is a list of WS 2008 updates for the month of May 2017 that I attempted to install on Win Vista. In general I've provided Microsoft Update Catalog links which allow you to choose either the 32 bit or 64 bit version, however, for .Net installers, I've provided direct download links separately to avoid Microsoft's stupid and confusing bundling of updates, which lumps updates with different KB numbers together. You will need to download them and install manually, as Windows Update will NOT find them. Vista is unsupported now, remember? :-)

Here they are:

WS2008 security updates: KB4018196, KB4018466, KB4018556, KB4018821, KB4018885, KB4018927, KB4019149, KB4019204, KB4019206 (for each of these choose the correct 32 or 64 bit system version)

I've compared your May 2017 list with that at the msfn URL and the one at the mega.nz URL (both URLs recently from Jody Thorton) and one patch seems to be missing in your list: KB4020535.  The Microsoft Update Catalog gives it a date of May 5 and there is both an x86 and x64 version.  Should it be here in your list?? 

#19 KYKaren

KYKaren

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

Hello, everyone!

Welcome to June 2017, the first month where Vista receives its own updates despite being unsupported.

As usual, I've gone through Microsoft's messy, unbearably confusing and unnecessarily complicated list of updates and will post them here. Since some of last month's updates have now been released for Vista as well, I will put a note next to the ones released released in May previously.

Here's the list for Vista dedicated updates for June 2017:

Enjoy.

Hi Sardoc,

I am getting ready to download and install the WS 2008 SP2 updates you have listed in your May 29 and June 16 postings that are relevant to my machine (Vista SP2 x86, NFW 2.0 and 4.5.2.)  A few questions:

1) Should I install them in lowest to highest KB order?

2) Should I restart after every install?  Or can I install all of May and then restart?   And then install all of June, and then restart?

3) And what about KB4020535?  [See my June 26 post.]

Thanks in advance.

Edited by KYKaren, 01 July 2017 - 07:17 PM.

#20 Sardoc

Sardoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

Hello, everyone!

Welcome to June 2017, the first month where Vista receives its own updates despite being unsupported.

As usual, I've gone through Microsoft's messy, unbearably confusing and unnecessarily complicated list of updates and will post them here. Since some of last month's updates have now been released for Vista as well, I will put a note next to the ones released released in May previously.

Here's the list for Vista dedicated updates for June 2017:

Enjoy.

Hi Sardoc,

I am getting ready to download and install the WS 2008 SP2 updates you have listed in your May 29 and June 16 postings that are relevant to my machine (Vista SP2 x86, NFW 2.0 and 4.5.2.)  A few questions:

1) Should I install them in lowest to highest KB order?

2) Should I restart after every install?  Or can I install all of May and then restart?   And then install all of June, and then restart?

3) And what about KB4020535?  [See my June 26 post.]

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thank you for the message. I've just checked the download link for update KB4020535 which you said I had missed. I will download and attempt to install it as soon as I can (pretty busy at the moment, probably until the weekend). Since I can't edit a post that old, I'll include it in July's bundle if it installs correctly. Once again thanks for reporting!

I don't think there's a particular order to install the updates. I just installed them as I was writing the post. I also wasn't restarting anything at all until I was done with all the updates mentioned in the posts, then I rebooted the system.

#21 KYKaren

KYKaren

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:40 PM

Here they are:

WS2008 security updates: KB4018196, KB4018466, KB4018556, KB4018821, KB4018885, KB4018927, KB4019149, KB4019204, KB4019206 (for each of these choose the correct 32 or 64 bit system version)

Hi Sardoc,

I have a question about KB4018556.  The Microsoft Update Catalog gives two files  --  one is an .msu file (Windows6.0-kb4018556-x86_7766800....) and the other is an .exe file (mpsyschk_e5388c.....).    Do you install both of them??  If so, is the order of installation important? 

Also, even though these are 9 files are WS2008 patches, will they be listed in Installed Updates, once installed?

Edited by KYKaren, 09 July 2017 - 06:54 PM.

#22 Sardoc

Sardoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Here they are:

Hi Sardoc,

I have a question about KB4018556.  The Microsoft Update Catalog gives two files  --  one is an .msu file (Windows6.0-kb4018556-x86_7766800....) and the other is an .exe file (mpsyschk_e5388c.....).    Do you install both of them??  If so, is the order of installation important? 

Also, even though these are 9 files are WS2008 patches, will they be listed in Installed Updates, once installed?

Hi,

I didn't install the mpsyschk exe file. Looks like it's a system checker of some sort, but I just installed the .msu.

I had every update installed listed in Installed Updates, yes.

#23 KYKaren

KYKaren

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:05 PM

Sardoc, many thanks for your help. 

Edited by KYKaren, 10 July 2017 - 04:06 PM.

#24 pimjoosten

pimjoosten

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

I have installed Windows Server 2008 (both 32 and 64 bit) in virtual machines to be able to quickly see which new updates have been released in July without having to sift through Microsoft's update lists. I too am trying to use Windows Server 2008 patches on my Vista machines, although with mixed results (on which I will report later). Especially for you Sardoc (much thanks for what you have done already!) I have attached a screenshot with the July updates that Windows Update gives on my Windows Server x64 VM. The results in the 32-bit VM were the same. I hope it helps you with composing your post for July. Please note that I have not yet installed any of these updates, so i cannot tell you about my experiences yet. I usually wait for at least two weeks or so before I do that. I usually keep an eye on Woody Leonhard's MS-DEFCON system on AskWoody.com.

Another suggestion for anybody who uses Server 2008 updates on a Vista machine is to also uninstall Silverlight. It is barely used anymore, but it is a security risk. In June there was a security update for Silverlight, but, of course, not for Vista. I do not know whether a Silverlight update has been released for Windows Server 2008. In fact I do not know whether Silverlight can even be installed on Server 2008. But I have nowhere seen any reference to manually updating Silverlight on any forum, so my view is that the safest choice is to uninstall it (via the Control Panel). I think you will probably not miss it, as most websites have stopped using Silverlight anyway.

I apparently made the window a bit too small to show the KB number of the Internet Explorer update in the list with updates, but it is visible on the right hand side in the title of the update.

Windows_Server_2008_x64_updates_juli_201

Edited by pimjoosten, 12 July 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#25 KYKaren

KYKaren

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

What is the KB file for the Cumulative Security Update for IE9?  Can't see the number. 

I've cross-checked with the Security Guidance Summary.  There is one missing from your list: 

KB4025872   Security Update for the PowerShell remote code execution vulnerability in Windows Server 2008. 

Maybe, it doesn't apply to your machine.

Any .NET Framework updates?  I see one each in the Security Guidance Summary for 4.6,  4.6.1,  4.6.2/4.7, and 4.7, but none for 2.0 or 4.5.x

Thanks.

Edited by KYKaren, 12 July 2017 - 11:19 AM.

#26 joezapp

joezapp

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for posting this, pimjoosten. I do need Silverlight on my Vista machine, as I have a program that requires it. I suppose that effectively nullifies the idea of possibly going with the Windows Server 2008 updates.

Please note that I was recently prompted to update Silverlight, which I did, and it shows in my list of installed updates. So apparently Silverlight updates aren't going away for Vista users.  

#27 pimjoosten

pimjoosten

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

What is the KB file for the Cumulative Security Update for IE9?  Can't see the number. 

I've cross-checked with the Security Guidance Summary.  There is one missing from your list: 

KB4025872   Security Update for the PowerShell remote code execution vulnerability in Windows Server 2008. 

Maybe, it doesn't apply to your machine.

Any .NET Framework updates?  I see one each in the Security Guidance Summary for 4.6,  4.6.1,  4.6.2/4.7, and 4.7, but none for 2.0 or 4.5.x

Thanks.

The KB number for the IE update is KB4025252. Only after taking the screenshot I realized that that number was not included, but you can see it on the right hand side in the title of the patch.

I just checked and PowerShell is installed on both my Server 2008 VM's, but they do not come up with any update. I read on a neighbouring thread on msfn.org that poster bbq was unable to install the PowerShell update on Vista. I do think that is related with it not showing up in my VM's, but I don't know how.

There were no .NET updates. I have installed .NET 3.5 SP1 and 4.6.1 in the VM's, if there were any updates they should have appeared. .NET 2.0 and 3.0 are already included in Server 2008/Vista. I think updates for version 2.0 should appear automatically too. Version 3.0 is superseded by version 3.5 SP1.

Thanks for posting this, pimjoosten. I do need Silverlight on my Vista machine, as I have a program that requires it. I suppose that effectively nullifies the idea of possibly going with the Windows Server 2008 updates.

Please note that I was recently prompted to update Silverlight, which I did, and it shows in my list of installed updates. So apparently Silverlight updates aren't going away for Vista users.  

Especially for you :wink:  I have installed Silverlight in my VM's (it is apparently possible). Windows Update then came up with only one update from June: KB4023307, so Silverlight is still maintained on Server 2008. Is that the one you got? On my Vista machines (x86 and x64) I did not get this one (I uninstalled Silverlight in July), therefore I think there will be no Silverlight updates on Vista. I still do get Office 2007 patches though, so updates for supported programs are still provided.

#28 KYKaren

KYKaren

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

Especially for you :wink:  I have installed Silverlight in my VM's (it is apparently possible). Windows Update then came up with only one update from June: KB4023307, so Silverlight is still maintained on Server 2008. Is that the one you got? On my Vista machines (x86 and x64) I did not get this one (I uninstalled Silverlight in July), therefore I think there will be no Silverlight updates on Vista. I still do get Office 2007 patches though, so updates for supported programs are still provided.

Is JoeApps referring to some pre-4/11/2017 patch?  At  https://www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight/Get-Started/Install/Default , it says that Silverlight with IE9 is no longer supported on Vista SP2 after 4/11/2017 (i.e., no new patches past this date), but it is supported on WS 2008 SP2 until 1/14/2020.

#29 KYKaren

KYKaren

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

Yes please, ladies and gents, do share your feedback if you've tried it. It can be about anything: whether everything installed just fine, some updates failed or said they weren't applicable, maybe everything ran fine or there were stability/performance/compatibility issues, there were bluescreens, something stopped working or started working, something was slow or just the opposite, you know: ANYTHING. There shouldn't be anything extreme, as there are only security updates and possibly bugfixes released for WS2008 (so no new features or under the hood engineering), but please do feel free to report anything positive, negative or indifferent.

I have finally bit the bullet and have installed all 12 of the May WS 2008 patches on my Vista Ultimate x86 laptop.  So, I am sharing my feedback. Nothing went sideways, but there was one small glitch, which I will report here, as follows.

I first installed KB4015193 and KB4018556 together before restarting.  After the Restart, when the Desktop screen finally appeared, the sidebar and the task bar were white.  There was also a bubble that said that the connection to Windows Services had failed.  A number of times before EOL for Vista, I had encountered a white sidebar and taskbar and had found a solution for this.  So, I applied it.  As a result, the sidebar and taskbar changed to their usual color.   This is the solution I used (found it on the internet a LONG time ago -- don't know where now).

1.  Type SERVICES into the Start search field and hit ENTER.

2.  Click on the SERVICES icon that comes up.  A SERVICES dialog box appears with a list of services.

3.  Find THEMES in the list and click on it.  It will become highlighted and there will now be a section to the left where you can click on "Restart the service". Do that and then close the dialog box.

4.  Press the Win key + R (for Run) and type "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes" (without the quotes) in the field.

5.  A folder will appear.  Click on the file "aero.theme"

Now,

6.  Right-click on an empty space on the Desktop.

7.  Click on Personalize

8.  Click on Windows Color and Appearance and check the box for "enable transparency"

9.  Click on Open Classic Windows Properties

10. Set color scheme to Windows Aero.

Now, the sidebar and the taskbar will be their usual color and the "aero" transparency works.

Other than this glitch, everything worked fine, including NFW 2.0 and 4.5.2 files.  NFW 2.0 files are .msu files. 4.5.2 are .exe files.  I installed all of the NFW .msu files first without restarting and then I installed the NFW .exe files after that.  Each .exe file will initiate an installation wizard, so be sure to wait for it to appear on the screen and proceed from there.  When the wizard finishes, it will give you a "RESTART now" and a "Close" button. I selected "Close" for all but the last .exe file, and for the last .exe file I selected "RESTART now".

Now, on to the June WS 2008 patches to install on this Vista Ultimate x86 laptop. And then after that, the July WS 2008 patches.  I expect everything to go well, but will give you feedback if there are glitches (other than the one I reported here, for which that solution will most likely work again, as it has in the past).

Edited by KYKaren, 18 July 2017 - 08:17 PM.

#30 BeigeBochs

BeigeBochs

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:50 PM

Regarding Silverlight, I don't know if Windows Vista is continuing to receive updates for it through Windows Update; but in case it isn't, I have something to contribute on that front.

The latest Microsoft Silverlight builds continue to work on the discontinued XP and Vista versions of Windows.  But if your system's Silverlight is no longer being kept up to date, it must be kept updated manually by downloading it from the Microsoft Update Catalog.  Going to Silverlight's homepage (www.microsoft.com/silverlight) may not work.  For Windows XP users at least (even users with the POSReady spoof), downloading Silverlight from the Silverlight homepage provides you with only the latest build which was available back when Windows XP was still supported, a build which is now three years old.  I don't know if the homepage does the same to Vista visitors, but I strongly suggest going to the Update Catalog anyway to be safe if installing Silverlight fresh.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users