Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removel Of Hp Home And Instalation Of Xp Pro

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 humma

humma

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

Hi i need some help.I have a friend that currently has xp home on a brand new dell lap top.He wants to uninstall xp home and install xp pro.How do we do this.dell recommends a clean install but what are the steps for this
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:18 PM

We need a little more information to be able to advise you of the best way to install XP Pro on this computer.

What is going to be used to install Pro - an upgrade version or a full installation Retail version CD?

If you have a new, Retail Version full installation cd you should be able to just use it to boot from, format the hard drive in NTFS and install XP Pro.

You must have the unique 25 digit key that accompanied the cd (and it must never have been used to install and authenticate Windows XP on any other computer because if it has been used before it will not activate Windows)

Just follow the instructions you will see on-screen.

Detailed instructions can be found here:
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsre...dexfullpage.htm

#3 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 03:22 PM

:thumbsup:
Not that I am an expert like some of the subscribers to the forum but, Why do you want to change to XP pro ? The Home addition is just as good if not better than The Pro and yes I know, it does have little additions like encryption for files and remote access, but thats not worth the trouble it takes to carry out the changeover. If File encryption is what you are after, well download A-Lock, its a free to use encryption tool small enough to fit on a floppy disc if you so wish.

Anyway, thats my thoughts.for what they are worth.

Regards,

Tony. :flowers:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

The differences between Home and Pro are far more than just file encription.

For one thing, MS support for XP Home will end two years after the release of Vista. XP Pro, considered a business product will have five additional years of extended support after that date.

Other features such as Automated System Recovery comes in XP Pro and is not available in XP Home.
So does remote desktop access capability, group policy editor, ability to join a domain, full user policy management.
Neither are other features available in XP Home such as The following corporate management features that are not included with Windows XP Home Edition -
Folder Redirection, Group Policy settings, Local Policy settings, System Policy settings (Poledit.exe), Roaming User Profiles, Offline Files and Folders, Remote Software Installation and Maintenance
Remote Installation Services (RIS)

Some other networking differences between the XP Home and Professional Edition
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...ls/wxpdifs.html

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 September 2006 - 04:06 PM.

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:13 PM

:thumbsup:

As I said, I'm no expert, I stand corrected. The point I was putting over was, how many homeusers i.e,purely personal usage need all the extras that Pro offers.

Tony. :flowers:
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2006 - 04:28 PM

Anybody that wants the additional security and functionality that Pro offers, as well as five more years of available critical updates, etc.

The average home user with children (or anyone else sharing the computer) greatly benefits from the the ability to keep their files private, which cannot be done effectively in XP Home as well as being able to access your computer remotely which you would pay Go To My PC $180 a year to do.

Well worth the difference in price.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:56 PM

Don't forget to download all the drivers to a CD before formatting and restarting. This'll make the setup go much easier.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users