Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinions please on several laptop models

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blitzjg

blitzjg

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:32 PM

After several discussions I have found a couple choices I was hoping to get your opinions on.  

A refresher from my previous topic (which if an mod could close that would be great) is that I am looking for something that:

Will not have any significant slowdowns/problems when I have a browser open with several tabs and am also running adobe acrobat, word, powerpoint/excel simultaneously, and can easily handle what is below:

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 

Mail, browsing, streaming music/TV/movies, bioinformatics (I work in a research lab that deals with big data), possibly some R and Python work

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 

The only things I can think of besides what's covered above would be Mothur, Gitbash, Python, and I will be accessing my school's high performance computing through WinSCP/PuTTY

I am willing to spend a bit more than I previously indicated, but would like to keep it under 800.  I decided to forgo gaming requirements but at this price I think it is reasonable to expect to be able to play League of Legends and/or Heroes of the Storm.

Here are 4 I have found and am interested in:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-710-2-in-1-14-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-silver/5579143.p?skuId=5579143

I'd probably get this one as a certified excellent condition out of box model unless it is advised against getting open-box.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-hp-envy-x360-2-in-1-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-silver/5622388.p?skuId=5622388

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-256gb-solid-state-drive-black/5872507.p?skuId=5872507

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-touch-screen-laptop-amd-fx-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-r7-m445-1tb-hard-drive-matte-gray/5624362.p?skuId=5624362

Thanks for your time and input!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

I ended up purchasing an HP Envy x360 2-in-1 from Best Buy.  I don't see any forums that deal with general questions, but I have a few before I jump into my new laptop, if an admin could redirect me, or tell me if this is the best place for these questions?

I am wondering what external accessories/tools you would recommend.  My only other laptop is 11 years old and the only thing I had for it was a backpack that had a partition for the laptop.

I want to take good care of this one, I see a lot of people with those thin black covers, is that something I should invest in?  I also assume i should get a screen protector?  What about one of those pads that allows for better airflow underneath the laptop?

Anything else I didn't mention besides like a portable mouse?

I also purchased the Best Buy protection plan for a year, but I am not sure I need it, was hoping to get you guys' thoughts on that as well.

#3 MichelBevan

MichelBevan

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:26 PM

One + for the Lenovo. My close friend bought the same PC and looks amazing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users