Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command Prompt Quickly Opening and Closing at Random

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lxno78

Lxno78

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:07 PM

The Issue

What looks like a Command Prompt window opens and closes, within fractions of a second and too fast to read, at random. It happens about once every hour sometimes once every two or three hours, so not often.

Events Leading up to Issue

I had had my system continuously on for the last few days whilst playing browser based flash games in the background (from the website Kongregate). I had not downloaded anything. The most recent item I had installed was the video game The Elder Scrolls Morrowind through STEAM. I did some minor internet suffering, like Google, YouTube, and a few random articles, I don't recall any intrusive ads or pop-ups from any of the websites.

Scan Results

I ran Avast Antivirus, then Malwarebytes, and then Adwcleaner. All scans displayed a clean result (no threats detected).

Computer Performance

The computer seems to be running normal. I'm not seeing any unusual processes or tasks in the task manager (although due to my lack of knowledge I might have missed something). Task Manager is reporting normal CPU and Memory usage. I'm not seeing unwanted programs being installed, no weird plug-ins or homepage changes either.

Things seem normal.

The only odd things I found, and I don't even know if it's related is a task named {EC99E0B6-35C6-4AE5-A44E-0CEBE4420045} in the task scheduler with an action of

C:\Windows\system32\pcalua.exe -a D:\ZToolBar.exe -d D:\

This task last ran almost 2 years ago, however and all browsers I have do not have any unwanted toolbars or add-ons.

operating System

Windows 8.1

Edited by Lxno78, 29 May 2017 - 05:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anulled

Anulled

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:09 PM

Check out the thread below, it seems like a similar problem:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/647845/command-prompt-popping-up-at-the-same-time-every-hour/

#3 Lxno78

Lxno78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:29 PM

In case any one reads this I believe I found what was happening.

I can actual confirm that this appears to be the issue that occurred for me. I noticed that the command prompt was opening almost precisely every hour, so I was able to take a screen shot:

WbesBSD.jpg

You can see that most of the word OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration is in the titlebar. I also found this to questions saying this is the issue, from a few days ago.

Although I have not had my computer on for longer than an hour after reading the answer, to confirm if the fix works, the below is the suggested method to stop the propmt from popping up.

Method to Stop Command Prompt Pop-Up:

Go to the Task Scheduler  then  disable the task OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration in the task scheduler. To get to that task, in the left pane find the Office folder (located under Task Scheduler Library Microsoft)

I go the answer from this thread on Reddit.

I suppose when the issue is eventually patched you can re-enable the OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration task if it's needed and obviously, if the  disabling the task causes you issues then enable it again, but the pop-up will return. (I haven't run into any issues yet with the task disabled though).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users