Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow start up at login screen, complete slow downs multiple times per day

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jamesg17

jamesg17

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:08 PM

Hi there,

I have a HP Pavillion laptop with Windows 10 installed. It has an Intel Core i3-5157U CPU @2.5 GHz, 8GB installed ram and a 64 bit processor. It is about a year and a half years old and recently I have been experiencing severe and frequent hangs.

This manifests itself as -

- Starting up normally to the point of loading the login screen, black screen and a very slow load. Can sometimes take up to 5/10 minutes to wake up.

- Going on a complete slow down where nothing will load or open up. What is strange is that I can still navigate already open windows, move the mouse etc... but nothing new will open or respond.

- This can happen many times during the day, sometimes lasting for periods of up to 15 minutes.

- Might not be true but trying to open the task manager seems to help speed up recovery... this might entirely be my own perception though!

When this isn't occurring the laptop functions perfectly well.

Just looking for any support, ideas or starting points as I'm unsure of what to do really! I have in advance completed the BSOD reports which are attached in the hope this will help you.

Most appreciated - thank you.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jimbeitz

Jimbeitz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:34 PM

try doing a fresh windows install

#3 Jimbeitz

Jimbeitz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

could also be hard drive 

#4 jamesg17

jamesg17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:07 PM

Thanks for your reply! Is there a way to interrogate if it is the hard drive? are there indications in the data I attached?

Id much prefer not doing a clean wipe if possible.

Edited by jamesg17, 30 May 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Start with the hard drive test, but complete ALL of the tests and let us know the results.
Also, you can try the HP diagnostics - usually accessed by tapping the Esc or F2 key as the system first starts up.

Either way, post back with your results and we'll move on from there.

I haven't looked at the data that you posted yet, but will do so when/if the hard drive passes the diagnostics.

Another point here is that, if the hard drive is dying, then you'll want to IMMEDIATELY backup your data.

If dying, it can completely fail at any time - so it's essential that you back it up ASAP to avoid losing data.  The more that you use the drive, the more likely it is to fail.

More info on backup here:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 jamesg17

jamesg17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:50 PM

Amazing. Thanks so much. Will look at this asap!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users