Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to install without "sudo"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cooljay

cooljay

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:14 PM

I read this article late last night that I save god knows where. I looked for it just now bec I wanted to ask you guys if I can trust this writer, he's got more where that was coming from, and it's handy to have a reliable source to look things up when you folk inexplicably are asleep ;).

He says that one should AVOID installing stuff in "sumo" whenever possible. He says it creates all kinds of files and folders then that can complicate and even mess up your system. Is this true?

The thing he didn't explain is HOW do you install anything without it? Since it demands root privileges. How do I go around it and is it worth the trouble?

For example, right now I am trying to install my VPN. They give you a guide tailored for each operating system that exists, or just about, I guess. What do I know?

So their steps are very explicit, they give you the commands to put into the terminal.

Should I ignore this and double-click on it like I would in Windows? Is this the alternative to installing without sumo?

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 01 June 2017 - 05:19 PM.
Typo in title corrected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:38 PM

LOL!! I put this question of my topic into DuckDuckGo, and guess what? It's number 1 on the first page of results. Long live SEO!

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:00 PM

Sumo? You mean sudo

sudo is basically administrator rights without using a admin account meaning that really you cant install things without it unless you use root and using root is a very bad idea.

Sounds like the person who gave you this info has no real idea about UNIX and UNIX like systems like Linux and OSX.

While it is true that using sudo can have its drawbacks such as using the same password for the administration as it is for logging in running under root is basically like running windows XP with little protection for you and you can murder things in your system if you dont know what you are doing.

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 May 2017 - 04:21 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:20 PM

Sumo? You mean sudo

sudo is basically administrator rights without using a admin account meaning that really you cant install things without it unless you use root and using root is a very bad idea.

Sounds like the person who gave you this info has no real idea about UNIX and UNIX like systems like Linux and OSX.

While it is true that using sudo can have its drawbacks such as using the same password for the administration as it is for logging in running under root is basically like running windows XP with little protection for you and you can murder things in your system if you dont know what you are doing.

Agreed.

#5 JaffaCakes

JaffaCakes

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 02:38 PM

The short answer is, you can't install anything without the correct privileges.

#6 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

Sure you can you just wipe it at the terminal level and reinstall with root access... (evil grin... really evil grin)

Yes you could probably use SU like in debian and the others.. sudo is better but if you just want to hang out with the admins then use the su command.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users