Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dread Turning On My Computer

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

I am using Windows 10 Pro Edition but its got that I almost dread turning on my computer, because whenever I do I am nearly always confronted by yet another problem to solve.

Today the problem is my files disappearing right before my eyes. one minute I am looking at the them and the next they have disappeared and I get the message saying this folder is empty.

On another occasion I opened a wordpad document on which I had been storing very important information for over a year. The document is still there but all the information that was on it has gone.

The other day rather than try to solve a problem I decide to restore the operating system using True Image. But when I clicked on restart to begin the process, Windows began installing updates which took over an hour. A total waste of time because they would not be on the restored image.

I thought PC stood for Personal Computer. So how come I have little or no control over it.

Edited by hamluis, 29 May 2017 - 03:06 PM.
Moved from W10 Spt to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

Not to be snarky or nasty, but from everything you've described you clearly have either a corrupt Windows 10 installation, some sort of virus/malware, or both.

If it is the former, but prior to the latter, then restoring an image is not going to be of any help.

If it is the latter, not the former, then you need to run the appropriate tools on your system to "exorcise" it.  It's my gut feeling that this is what's going on.

If it's both, you'd still need to "exorcise" your system before doing anything as far as repairing it.

If you've been a long term user of Windows you have to recognize that what is occurring is aberrant.  As to Windows doing work to apply updates before shutdown/restart, this has been the norm for many moons now.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

You couId say I have been a long term user of Windows seeing as I have used just about every operating system Microsoft ever produced. I did not get a computer of my own though until Windows 95 came out.

Yes installing updates on shutdown has been around for many years but its only on Windows 10 that I found I had no control over it. With Windows XP you could make it show you what updates were available and you could select which ones you wanted to install.

I used a downloaded ISO image from Microsoft to install my operating system but I guess there is a slight possibility that it was corrupted, so I have just downloaded it again.

As for viruses etc, I have found Avast quite good at keeping them at bay, plus I occasionally scan with Trend Micro's HouseCall.

Still not to worry, I have managed to recover everything, including the information on wordpad document. It cost me though because I had to purchase yet another third party program to do the job.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users