Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Manager is Disabled

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisK1776

ChrisK1776

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:12 AM

Hello, 

My computer crashed a couple weeks ago and it disabled my windows manager.  I have not been able to get my windows manager back on no matter what I try.  I have Windows 7 and it defaulted back to the windows classic view and the windows 7 Aero theme is blacked out.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Chris 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

Sorry but what is "Windows Manager"?

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 amfrank

amfrank

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:16 PM

Perhaps ChrisK1776 is referring to Desktop Window Manager (DWM)?

#4 ChrisK1776

ChrisK1776
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:02 PM

Yes, the Desktop Window Manager

#5 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,011 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

Please complete the following:

:step1: Check Disk

WARNING: It is recommended that you backup ALL your files. If CHKDSK finds and repairs a corrupted sector, you may lose your data.

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
chkdsk /R
  • You should see this message:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
  • Type Y and hit Enter on your keyboard.
  • Restart your computer and CHKDSK will run.

Once CHKDSK is complete, we need the log:

• Click Start, enter powershell.exe in the Search box, right-click on powershell.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Copy this command:
Get-WinEvent -FilterHashTable @{logname="Application"; id="1001"}| ?{$_.providername –match "wininit"} | fl timecreated, message | out-file $Env:UserProfile\Desktop\CHKDSKResults.txt
  • Right-click in Powershell to paste the command.
  • You will find CHKDSKResults.txt on your Desktop. Copy/paste that log in your next reply.

:step2: System File Checker

• Click Start, enter cmd.exe in the Search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and then click Run as administrator.
  • Type the following command and hit ENTER:
sfc /SCANNOW
  • After the scan is finished, you will see one of three things:
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log %WinDir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.
  • If you see either of the two latter messages, please immediately enter the following command:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
  • Then, attach sfcdetails.txt, which is found on your Desktop, in your next reply.

Edited by bwv848, 02 June 2017 - 02:16 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users