Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UNZIP HIJACK THIS

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 peter252

peter252

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:37 AM

I have been following the instuctions to get rid of the coolwebsearch hijacker and have downloaded and used the hijackthis program. However I have just discovered that i may not have unzipped it correctly. This may seem stupid but some of us computer illiterate people make these mistakes. Can anyone tell me if there is a simple way of unzipping this program. The tutorial on this website only covers the windows xp system but I use windows ME. I have already downloaded WINZIP.
any suggestions?
Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,514 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:04 AM

If you're running XP then you don't need Winzip if all you want to do is unzip a file. I've written some how to's on correctly saving and unzipping HJT in the following pinned thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p?showtopic=309

If you're running an OS other than XP let us know or still need more help.

And, peter, please don't post the same question in more than one thread. I'm deleting your duplicate.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 10 June 2004 - 11:59 AM

Its very easy using winzip for me. When you download a zip file you should save it to a directory somewhere on your hard drive. Then you can double click on that file and winzip will open. Select to use it in evaluation mode and then click on the extract button. When it asks where you would like to extract it to, type in the directory or use the gui to find the directory where you would like to extra the files to.

If the directory does not exist, winzip will create it. For example to unzip hijackthis.zip, you would download it your drive, then double click on it. Then click on the extract button and when it asks where you would like to extract it to, type c:\hijackthis and press enter. The file will then be extracted to that directory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users