Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question on reinstalling Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alabamahorsefly

alabamahorsefly

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:44 AM

I recently bought a Dell laptop which came preinstalled with windows 10 home.  It hasn't been right since I pulled it out of the box.  Exremely slow.  Painfully slow.  Ridiculosly slow.  I kept waiting for the AOL dial up sound everytime I opened the internet.  Literally couldn't even type a word doc.  It hurt even booting the thing up.  Anyway, I did a fresh reinstall, and it did help some.  But as time went on, back to the painful lagging and crashing.  It does same thing in Safe Mode.

I believe my problem is a hardware issue. And I believe Dell has finally agreed.  But I would like to make sure to avoid the hassle of sending it back to them.  I have not tried to download a copy of Windows 10 home and do hard reset deleting everything.  I do know what is involved and what I have to have to do that.  I am also upgrading to pro.  My question, will my downloaded ISO of Windows 10 use my digitally signed OEM windows 10 to activate after a reset like I'm doing?  I extracted the product key, but I have heard of trouble using it.  Also, I was going to wait to upgrade to pro until this mess was straightened out.  I wouldn't think I would want to do an upgrade when the system its upgrading is possibly corrupt.  Am I correct in my thinking?

I appreciate any help or opinions.  I'm ready to get this thing done.  Dell has been nice, but this ain't an issue CCleaner is going to fix (which is what they wanted me do everytime I talked to them)  But there is light at the end of the tunnel.  I just hope its not a flashlight......

Edited by alabamahorsefly, 29 May 2017 - 01:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:03 AM

I believe my problem is a hardware issue. And I believe Dell has finally agreed.  But I would like to make sure to avoid the hassle of sending it back to them.

You kind of lost me on this part. If you believe it is a hardware issue and Dell supposedly agrees, then how can you not avoid sending it back to them unless it is just a drive (or maybe RAM) issue and they are sending you a replacement drive for you to install yourself?

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:21 AM

Hi,

Usually the companies want you to restore the machine to Factory condition by following their guides then if the problem continues is most likely an hardware problem.

Not sure that is good idea to delete everything and start completely fresh because probably there is a Recovery partition on the HDD that is needed to restore to factory settings...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 alabamahorsefly

alabamahorsefly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:58 AM

I believe my problem is a hardware issue. And I believe Dell has finally agreed.  But I would like to make sure to avoid the hassle of sending it back to them.

You kind of lost me on this part. If you believe it is a hardware issue and Dell supposedly agrees, then how can you not avoid sending it back to them unless it is just a drive (or maybe RAM) issue and they are sending you a replacement drive for you to install yourself?

Sorry...should have been clearer.  I've thought its a hardware issue from early in the game.  However, Dell has not agreed.  So, after doing all the "by the book" tests, which I understand they have to do, the last conversation the guy said that I may just have to send it in to replaced the motherboard.  I asked if they could just send it to me and let me do it, and he said that option was not available..lol.  I'm supposed to get a call from a supervisor with further instruction.

#5 alabamahorsefly

alabamahorsefly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:22 AM

Hi,

Usually the companies want you to restore the machine to Factory condition by following their guides then if the problem continues is most likely an hardware problem.

Not sure that is good idea to delete everything and start completely fresh because probably there is a Recovery partition on the HDD that is needed to restore to factory settings...

You are correct.  That is probably not a good idea...lol.  My impatience and aggravation over this is driving nuts.  Been going on for a few months now.  

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

You can at least determine if there is a problem with the hdd.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installatioSeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:49 PM

I asked if they could just send it to me and let me do it, and he said that option was not available..lol.  I'm supposed to get a call from a supervisor with further instruction.

Not surprised. Generally not an option for laptops as getting to the motherboard and replacing the motherboard on many laptops is not exactly a simple task. Or at least not typically as simple as a desktop.

#8 alabamahorsefly

alabamahorsefly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 10:25 PM

Thanks dc3! I will run that later tonight and post results. I did create a windows 10 bootable usb and installed it in same partition where the old one was. After everything updated, I'm actually running pretty good. I hate to say it's running great, as it could fall apart any moment, but it's yet to run this smooth. I'm anxious to see results from Seatools.

#9 alabamahorsefly

alabamahorsefly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

Sorry for delay.  Got called into work last night.  But I was happy to see this result.  Still running good.

Attached File  Screenshot (1).png   500.36KB   0 downloads

#10 alabamahorsefly

alabamahorsefly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

One last thing, when I gave laptop to my wife.  I didn't do anything to set up.  She did it all.  I love her, but she is not as careful as I am when she is on the internet.  She was complaining about it being to slow to use. I didn't pay much attention to her complaint. I knew I had bought a cheap computer because she didn't need much for what she does.  This thing definitely wasn't going to set any kind of speed record.  I didn't think it was malware, because she literally had just taken it out of the box.  I asked  her if she had been on the internet and she said all she had done was register something.  Of course, she couldn't tell me what it was.  It was just "something"  I thought there was no way she picked up a virus or malware.  Its only been on 30 mins.  So I get to messing around trying to figure our what the deal was with it being so dang slow, and I started getting redirected to other sites anytime I clicked on the screen.  I was like, crap!  I can't believe I just loaded up some malware.  Keep in mind, this was over a period of a couple two or three weeks. Then I got hard disk error.  Then a message that said I was out of space.  Then it wouldn't recognize my battery charger.  With the crashing and lagging, my thought is bad hardware.  I had done everything I knew to do, so I contacted Dell.  All their test showed no problems.  They kept doing all these test.  A lot of the same test over and over again.  I finally said that I would just reinstall Windows.  If there is a corrupt file somewhere, that should fix it.  I did a fresh install.  However, I believe it did bring some files over.  It didn't totally delete everything, just most things.  There was no change after reinstall.  Still painfully slow.  But the redirect virus was gone.  So I thought.  Like the next day it had started redirecting me again.  It had gotten so annoying, that I stopped trying to figure out my hardware problem, and started trying to remove the malware.  I couldn't find it.  I found a few things that looked odd, but wound up being nothing major.  No scans picked anything up. I mean I was stumped.  I ran farbar to see if I could get an idea of where this thing was originating from.  I got errors from system.exe to a ton of .dll problems.  There was one that said something like error reading volume on hard disk.  A lot of that info is above my paygrade, but error reading hard disk generally is not a good thing.  So I thought my hardware problem is preventing me from getting a good read on the log.  All of which confirmed my original thought of bad hardware.  Then, I finally found the stinking malware bug.  I wish I could say it was because I'm so good, but I just got lucky...haha.  That little joker would not only hide itself from malware scans, it also had a command that basically said if that file didn't load, then load this other one.  Pretty sneaky.  It had loaded in 5 different places.  It was like a big loop.  Once one was found, the rest were easy. Simply following the path to remove it.  Even after I got rid of it, never once did it enter my mind that is could be the contributing factor to my problem. Now...I'm not so sure.

So, all of the above (and sorry for the length) led to my original post.  Wipe everything, get a different copy of windows, load it up and see if there is any change.  At least then I would truly know where my problem is.  But after SleepyDude's reply, I thought, yeah...this is still under warranty.  I'll just let Dell deal with it.  But I just couldn't stand not knowing.  So against my better judgement and council's advice, I wiped it clean.  Leaving the recovery partition be.  Could that stupid malware bug be my problem entirely?  Really??  Surely it can't be that simple.  After I've made different changes to laptop or Dell has done anything to it, it would run good for a little while, then go back to the same junk.  Could we have been deleting file malware was hid in and then when it regenerated it was causing all my issues?  I guess I will know in a few days.  

I appreciate all the help and input.  Even though I'm about to be on the down hill slide in age, I still learn everyday.  The only way I learn is tear down and put it back together. I've always been like that. Not one to read the book.  If it ain't broke, I try to figure out why it's not...lol.  There is good and bad in that.  I'm generally not the guy to ask what I would do to fix something...lol.  I'll fix it until it won't work.  Thanks again guys.  Look forward to my next problem, and it coming soon :0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users