Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck at OS X Utilities!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 samiul

samiul

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:56 PM

I recently formatted a Macbook Air. When I went to reinstall the OS X it asked me for apple ID and Password. i doesn't have an apple ID because someone gave me this computer.

So now when I turn on the Mac it just goes to the OS X Utilities options menu.

Is there a way i can install an OS X without an apple ID or password?

The OS it was using was "Mavericks". I have a .DMG of El Capitan downloaded.

Can I make a bootable flash drive and install one of those .dmg files to install an OS?  (I only have a PC running windows 10)

Can I use this "Mac OS X base System" to recover the OS without my apple ID or password?

Would it be easier to install another operating system? (windows, Linux) If so how do i begin doing that?

If you need more information please ask. I don't know Mac nearly as well as I know PC. None of the videos i watched told me i would need an apple ID and Password to reinstall the OS X or i would have never done it!

My friend is really mad at me because her macbook is pretty much useless right now. Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated. 

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read this.

Moved from internal hardware

NickAu

Attached Files

Edited by NickAu, 28 May 2017 - 11:42 PM.
Mod Edit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:57 PM

To use the recovery partition on the Mac, you will need the AppleID and password used to "buy" Mavericks, aka 10.9.x, from the App Store that is installed on that Mac. The exception is if that Mac came with Mavericks, which it looks like it did not since it is asking for an AppleID. Without that AppleID and password, you cannot use the recovery partition.

Now, you will have one of two options depending on the which MacBook Air model it is. If it is a MacBook Air model that shipped with Lion, aka 10.7.x, or later, then you should be able use the Internet recovery (Option-Command-R when booting). I honestly don't recall, however, if it requires an AppleID. It should not as it is now meant to be the ultimate way to recover the Mac effectively to the state it was shipped in. If the Mac was shipped with Snow Leopard, aka 10.6.x, or older than the Mac shipped with some sort of recovery media (typically optical disc if the Mac had an optical drive, but it would be a USB drive for a Mac that does not have an internal optical drive like a MacBook Air). This recovery media would then allow you to install at least the macOS version that come with the Mac and then you would try to go about upgrading from there (if it came with 10.6, then you have access to the App Store can "buy" the current macOS version, aka Sierra 10.12.x, assuming it can run on your Mac and/or access any previously purchased macOS versions that you have "bought" with your AppleID...if it came with 10.5 or earlier, then you need to somehow at least get you hands on 10.6 so that you can get access to the App Store). There are some odd ball cases of Macs that shipped right around the time that Lion, aka 10.7, was released but that did not ship with Lion. Some of those Macs could have their firmware upgraded so that they can use the Internet recovery even though they shipped with recovery media.

Now, the last option would be to create a bootable install USB disk from the El Capitan DMG that you have. Typically, you need a Mac to do this, however. I did find this guide on how you supposedly can do it on a Windows computer...I have no idea if it works...and have no experience with the TransMac software nor its reputation:

http://pureinfotech.com/create-macos-bootable-usb-windows/

#3 samiul

samiul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:15 AM

Thank you very much for answer. My MackBook Air Model is A1466. Acutely i Make a usb Bootable disk(using TransMac but i cant boot using this disk. when Mac starting i tried to press 'option' key but its goes to recovery mode os x utilities. 

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:51 AM

Thank you very much for answer. My MackBook Air Model is A1466.

Unfortunately, using that model number does not mean much. Apple in their infinite wisdom uses a "model number" scheme that really does not help differentiate between different models. To help illustrate this, this link shows all the "models" that use that model number:

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=a1466

That is 9 different "models". Each likely shipped with different macOS versions.

What you will want to provide is the processor specs and the "model year" (i.e. Mid 2012, Mid 2013, Early 2014, or Early 2015). With that, I can tell you (or you can look using that link) what your model came with as the original macOS version.

I can say this, however...which ever version it is, it will support Internet Recovery. The oldest model on that list shipped with 10.7.4 (that would be the Mid 2012 model with the 1.8 GHz i5), so all of them will have Internet Recovery. So, you should be able to hold down the Option-Command-R keys when you reboot the Mac and get to the Internet recovery. This will install either the macOS version that came with the Mac or the closest version that is still available. See footnote #2 for the table in the following link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Acutely i Make a usb Bootable disk(using TransMac but i cant boot using this disk. when Mac starting i tried to press 'option' key but its goes to recovery mode os x utilities.

I can think of three potential reason why it did not boot.

The first would be if the flash drive is not actually getting formatted with a GPT partition. So, you might try the "How to create a GPT partition on a USB flash drive" instructions in the same link in my last post that is AFTER the full TransMac instructions.

The second is that the DMG you have is not of a bootable disk image of the macOS installer and TransMac will only work with a bootable disk image. In other words, it might depend on where/how you got that DMG and what is actually contains. If you extracted it from a El Capitan Upgrade Installer app, then I believe it is not bootable without extra work. And I don't know if TransMac will do that extra work or not.

The last is that the method in the link just does not work. As I said, I have zero experience with TransMac, so I have no clue if that method works or not.

In the end, it should not matter. You can use Internet Recovery to reinstall the macOS. It will be an older version of the macOS, but all the models on the list in the above link can run Sierra. So, whatever version it is, once it is installed and you get the Mac setup with that older macOS version, you can then go into the App Store and "buy" (I put it in quotes because it is a free purchase) Sierra and then upgrade the Mac to Sierra if you want.

#5 samiul

samiul
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:17 AM

Thank you i searched. The Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.7.4 (11E2520), OS X Lion link.

I can use Internet Recovery, But problem is when i reinstall the macOS its ask apple store id. Is there have any way to bypass apple id?? And i think USB disk formatted GPT partition is ok coz i checked different computer, Next i will be try for different USB disk. However my mac keyboard is not worked i used external keyboard, is this a region for not booting usb?? 

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:38 AM

Thank you i searched. The Pre-Installed MacOS: X 10.7.4 (11E2520), OS X Lion link.

I can use Internet Recovery, But problem is when i reinstall the macOS its ask apple store id. Is there have any way to bypass apple id??

As I understand it, it should not. Are you sure it is using Internet Recovery and not the recovery partition from the drive? Internet Recovery should reinstall 10.7.4 unless Apple no longer offers that version through their servers. If they don't, it should be a newer version, but still not one tied to an AppleID.

I don't believe there is an equivalent to "activation lock" for the macOS. With an iOS device, you can tied that device to your iCloud account. That will prevent a stolen iOS device from being wiped and then be able to be used. The thief would need to know you iCloud (aka AppleID) account and password. You need to remember this when selling an iOS device as well...i.e. you need to deactivate iCloud on your iOS device before you sell it. I am pretty sure there is not a similar feature on the macOS, but I have never really tested it.

If you are using Internet Recovery and still being asked for a specific AppleID to proceed after install (you will likely be asked to enter YOUR AppleID/iCloud account info as part of the setup to help set the macOS up if you have an AppleID, but you can usually skip this step or create an AppleID...this is because many features make use of an AppleID...App Store for purchases, FaceTime, Messages, iCloud if you want to use it, iTunes purchases, etc), you might have to ask Apple. You can do free chats with their support by way of their website or go to an Apple Store for free help (need to make an appointment).

And i think USB disk formatted GPT partition is ok coz i checked different computer, Next i will be try for different USB disk. However my mac keyboard is not worked i used external keyboard, is this a region for not booting usb??

An external keyboard should work. And if memory serves, a Mac will boot without a keyboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users