Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 restore previous build failed, now cannot boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 donovanvaught

donovanvaught

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:28 PM

I'll try to be as concise as possible. Upgraded to windows "creators update" and it ruined my computer, constant crashes and freezes abound. Tried to revert to previous build but it froze during the restore process and failed, reboot to attempting to do startup repair and it fails that too. When booting normal get BSOD with critical process died error and then another failed startup repair. Revert to previous build from advanced options also fails. 

Computer info:

Custom Built

MSI motherboard

Windows 10 Creators update

AMD FX processor

troubleshooting steps tried:

sfc scannow returns no issues

chkdsk reports no bad sectors

DISM fails with windows in PE error

rebuildbcd reports no added OS

other high level cmd codes to alter windows files report files missing

Any other suggestions I've tried I'll edit here

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

Try startup repair by creating/using bootable W10 installation media from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Also try System Restore from there.

If that fails, then:

1)  Backup your data.  Try either slaving the hard drive to another system, or using a bootable disk to copy things to an external device

2)  Wipe the hard drive and use the bootable installation media to attempt to install W10 "clean"

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 donovanvaught

donovanvaught
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:02 PM

thanks for the reply, was preparing for that nuclear option today. I was going to do reset pc while keeping files (while also doing backups of course). Would a clean install from start be preferable?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:08 AM

Different techniques give different results.

True "nuclear" is (IMO) a wipe of the hard drive (reinitialize the disk), then installing Windows "clean" (without any 3rd party programs), then ensure you have ALL available Windows Updates.

With W8/10 systems, I also suggest that the BIOS/UEFI be updated the latest version.

If I have time, I like to progress:

- Reset (Keeping Files)

- Reset (Remove All)

- Wipe and clean reinstall

It's possible that even the wipe and clean reinstall won't work.

If that's the case, then the problem is most likely hardware (compatibility may also be a problem - but the likelihood of that is less on newer motherboards/cpus)

What's the exact make and model of your MSI motherboard?  How about the AMD CPU?

Edited by usasma, 30 May 2017 - 11:00 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users