Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mint 18 sarah 32 bit

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:50 PM

Hello,

I have recently been re-purposed a linux unit, that i wish to use as a browser. i want to use a pci rosewill wireless adapter to connect, and use firefox to browse. i have been navigating though the OS and am impressed but hit a password block a few times. i knew how to bypass this pw block in vista/7. this is a decent PC with a pentium e2140 cpu and 2gb ddr2.

the rosewill pci adapter is a rnx-g300e

after googling that adapter, it is a song and dance to get it working with LM

i am now writing from my mint machine using the auto-detected netgear wna1100 usb jobber. downloaded nvidia quadro x86 drivers and about to load up an old quadro while i still feel lucky

i still need help removing the pw though,,,yippee!!  I am now in the defenestration club, using firefox with no-script added on

taada. after googling the lm pw subject, i found out how to edit grub and get the pw reset, i think,   now i can install my quadro vidcard and enjoy my dual monitors in rich hues. this started out as a project i would pursue when time permitted, but it is definitely refreshing to get past the MS Syndrome.

turns out the pw is integral and needs to be there for admin tasks

Edited by synergy513, 29 May 2017 - 01:35 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:14 PM

Alas is a issue that comes from using certain hardware with linux.

If things go totally pear shaped go USB dongle as PCI is not that common anymore.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:10 PM

Yes, the USB adapter fired up very willingly, does a linux pw have to to be  so many characters long with uppercase and numbers blah blah?

this is all taking me back to the SUN solaris days when unix was the only 32 bit around so thats what we used at work,  circa 1993. oddly enough, i think WINE was around back then

Edited by synergy513, 29 May 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:25 PM

No you can use short passwords but that goes to your hardware and your network.

You can train linux to remember passwords though

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:27 PM

i mean when i try to install my nvidia drivers it prompts for pw

i thought i edited the grub last night, but i used a short pw and it didn't stick. i  think the PW reset may be good for one boot, and then you have to change it again at the OS level.

edit:  ok, i have it now, i was right, when you edit the boot line for pw reset, it is good for one boot, and you have to change it in the OS after that one boot, and it did have to be over 8 characters with letters and numbers. i installed pale moon via superuser admin, ...next is my quadro

Edited by synergy513, 30 May 2017 - 12:02 AM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,117 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:19 AM

You got me confused here brother, there should be no password problems, you use "sudo" when installing packages.  I guess for some stuff you would use the Login Password, but that would not have to be changed, and mine is only Six Digits Long.

If you had installed an older version of Linux the Wifi may have worked, the newer versions don't have as many older Wifi Drivers.  I would have installed Linux Mint Mate 17.1 or 17.3 depending, 64bit on that machine.  64bit would allow you to have Google Chrome also, but you can still go to the Software Manager and install Chromium! which is as good as anything I've used to date.

Nvidia Drivers may be present in the Driver Manager also, no need to download with ppa's and all kinds of complicated instructions.  Usually the included ones will work fine and lesson your negative first impressions.

Most of all have fun, pcpunk 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:28 PM

the tricky part was it wasn't boot-up that was requiring the pw, it was installing the updates or any other admin tasks, like installing a card or drivers or browsers. it is all fixed now, this machine only has two ram slots and is ddr2, it may only max at 2gb total, i need to dig up some 2gb sticks and see what happens, ...so it is 32 bit for me, which is fine for pale moon.

i plugged in a USB wifi adapter and it fired right up and connected. this PC is going to be my browser unit now.

edit:

ok, after loading up my vid card, the software manager recognized it and offered up the driver rather nicely. now my screaming 1.6 ghz cpu is really humming along with a little help on the graphics side of things.. i am only using one monitor though, right now anyway.

this is more of a breeze than i thought it would be....i still need to stick to the old school credo though, "if it works, then do not muck with it"

once i get my second monitor in the symphony, i am done with the setup for a while,

Edited by synergy513, 30 May 2017 - 01:52 PM.

#8 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:11 PM

ok, after much debate and inner turmoil, i decided to cannibalize the PC that came with the mint boot disk and install that disk for some dual-boot action in an old vista unit with the king of the dual core socket 775,,,, the e8600 ,,,and 3 gb ram.  now, the llint OS  sees the vista disk, but not vice versa, so i may open up a new topic in the vista section about the vista OS not seeing the lint disk.  Both OS's are booting fine with a stock dell inspiron 530 mobo and a gtx 460..

the more i think about it, maybe i am better off with vista not seeing the lint hdd.

the odd thing is, when i load up speccy in  the vista OS, the lint disk is there, and device manager sees it also...but file explorer doesn't see it

Edited by synergy513, 31 May 2017 - 09:31 PM.

#9 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

Hello,

I have recently been re-purposed a linux unit, that i wish to use as a browser. i want to use a pci rosewill wireless adapter to connect, and use firefox to browse. i have been navigating though the OS and am impressed but hit a password block a few times. i knew how to bypass this pw block in vista/7. this is a decent PC with a pentium e2140 cpu and 2gb ddr2.

the rosewill pci adapter is a rnx-g300e

after googling that adapter, it is a song and dance to get it working with LM

i am now writing from my mint machine using the auto-detected netgear wna1100 usb jobber. downloaded nvidia quadro x86 drivers and about to load up an old quadro while i still feel lucky

i still need help removing the pw though,,,yippee!!  I am now in the defenestration club, using firefox with no-script added on

taada. after googling the lm pw subject, i found out how to edit grub and get the pw reset, i think,   now i can install my quadro vidcard and enjoy my dual monitors in rich hues. this started out as a project i would pursue when time permitted, but it is definitely refreshing to get past the MS Syndrome.

turns out the pw is integral and needs to be there for admin tasks

boot to singleuser  or level 0 and you would have to change a few things... good luck getting to OS level 0 anymore.. 

#10 synergy513

synergy513
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

i think i only have "user'

can't recall seeing "choose level"

are these  chosen from the grub menu?

is the grub menu kind of the equivalent of the windows safe mode?

anyway. i solved it and am using this OS as a browser platform and it is performing  beautifully, turned on the firewall and viola. now i am reading the forum for anti-malware options and browser protection,,, and as the veteran users are saying, if you are cross-platforming windows or dealing with any windows files whatsoever, there is a need for prophylaxis.

Edited by synergy513, 01 June 2017 - 02:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users