Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optional Updates

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:40 PM

My computer says I am up to date with all my Updates, so could someone please explain all these Optional Updates?

I placed an Image of these Updates that I created with Tinypic, but when I clicked Save Changes the Image was removed. Is there any way I can attach this file?

Edited by ocean77, 28 May 2017 - 03:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:47 AM

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options.

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you want to post, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

attachment_zps9v6amtri.png

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Okay, let's give this a try. Thank you!

Attached Files

#4 Bat.1

Bat.1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:04 PM

I have updates set to download but let Me choose, then wait until a few Days after Patch Tuesday before installing.  I'll install the optional updates as long as they're Not telemetry related, cause PC crashes, or would force a downgrade to Windows 10. These are the updates I have hidden right now.

Attached File  Capture.PNG   22.52KB   0 downloads

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:36 AM

@ocean77

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking regarding your optional updates.  All I can do is add some information regarding these updates.  

Critical updates are installed automatically. Optional updates are just that — optional.  However, these optional updates may apply to computer hardware, such as your monitor or printer, and may improve performance or fix problems with devices.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Asheesh27

Asheesh27

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:44 AM

Hello! I am sorry need a reply fast... I'm in a quite a big problem... I am using Dell tulip laptop with intel i5 core with a windows 8.1 pro build 9600 Operating System....

All the programs Settings,Command prompt etc are not opening but chrome is working utorrent is too....... 

i cant sfc /scan and i dont have access to file recovery settings.... I can open my computer nd file explorer I cant view any videos too

Sometimes its showing 

The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005)

OR

C:\Users\admin\Appdata\Local\Pa...\AAA_SettingsPageRestoreFileHostory.settingcontent-ms

The app didn't start

OR

File System error -1073741819

#7 Asheesh27

Asheesh27

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:45 AM

dc3 please help me too...

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:54 AM

dc3 please help me too...

I replied to your topic.  You need to address your problem in that topic.  Do not post in another member's topic to ask for help on a topic which already exists.  It isn't fair to the person whose topic your are high jacking.

#9 Asheesh27

Asheesh27

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

sorry

#10 hairpullingwindows

hairpullingwindows

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:15 AM

Bat.1 post #4. If I see updates how can I recognize a "telemetry" [what is that?] update, an update that will cause a crash, or - shudder - a Win 10 update [I definitely want to keep my 8.1 vs 10.junk.]

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

With Microsoft telemetry is their way of collecting data from your operating system relating to the operating system.

Microsoft isn't going to upgrade your operating system to Windows 10 without your approval.  Unlike when they were pushing user of Windows 7 and 8 to upgrade to Windows 10.

#12 hairpullingwindows

hairpullingwindows

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:58 PM

Is there a way to recognize these telemetry updates? Should I not be installing them as Bat.1 seems to be indicating? I have just been installing my "optional" updates as they come along.

#13 hairpullingwindows

hairpullingwindows

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 09:24 AM

Yes? No? Is there anybody out there?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

Opt out of the Customer Experience Improvement Program.

Is Microsoft Gathering Data From You in Windows 7 and 8?

#15 hairpullingwindows

hairpullingwindows

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

Ah. Took the link. Thanks so much for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users