Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommendations re browsers, antivirus

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 cooljay

cooljay

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:43 PM

Being fed up with Firefox which I swore by for many years - having to do with lack of safety of many of their post popular add-ons: (https://arstechnica.com/security/2016/04/noscript-and-other-popular-firefox-add-ons-open-millions-to-new-attack/) I am game for trying a different browser.

I looked at this http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20090915140752430/WebBrowsers.html and I like Arora. Does anyone here use it? How about Dillo? I am looking for light weight with graphic ability. Apparently there are just those two?

How about antivirus for those Linux users who like to cover all the bases? Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:04 PM

I run all general internet activity, firefox (with adblock and noscript extensions), skype ... etc under a restricted userid that is excluded from accessing most other folders/files. For other internet activity and personal docs etc. I use my main userid (ctrl-alt-fn and login), that has firefox with no extensions ... and only ever browse to specific/trusted web sites with that. Other alternatives include firejail ... where with --private boot parameter it sets up a entirely new/clean instance (or the regular choice that simply contains the firefox session in a similar manner to running under a restricted userid).

OpenBSD (-release) data server (that auto detects and rsshfs mounts one of its folders onto my desktop system).

Desktop system sshfs mounts my android phone (SSHelper app installed on phone).

Desktop system runs X under non-root, and is mostly booted read only (desktop changes lost at shutdown/reboot).

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

What about vivaldi?

https://vivaldi.com/?lang=en_US

Based on chrome but offers a lot of nice customization and the search engine can be changed with ease.

It defaults to bing but duckduckgo can be used as well

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:48 PM

Or, there's SlimJet (from FlashPeak).

It's another Chromium 'fork', but typically uses around half the RAM that Chrome/Chromium seem to chew their way through with ease. Strongly privacy-orientated, with built-in adblocking, it has a host of nifty, useful features (such as 'turbocharged' downloading, which d/ls from multiple mirrors simultaneously).

Definitely worth a look.

https://www.slimjet.com/

-------------------------------------------

As for AV products for Linux, you usually don't need them; the built-in firewall generally covers the bases. However, they are useful particularly if you're running Linux, and regularly send material to folks running a Windows system. They tend to scan a Linux system for Windows malware(!!); they're frequently used by people who run e-mail servers, for example.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-linux-antivirus-programs/

This article from MakeUseOf covers the 7 best free AV products for Linux. Personally, I'd recommend the Comodo one, as I have several years good experience of their products. I have a remote Comodo AV 'install', which is sym-linked into all 10 of my Puppies, for the odd occasions when I need to use it.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 May 2017 - 03:34 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 shelf life

shelf life

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

https://brave.com/

How Can I Reduce My Risk to Malware?

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

I would recommend using firejail sand box.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/firejail/files/firejail/

download 2nd from top for 64bit.

download 3rd from top for 32bit.

Read about firejail sandbox here.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/sandbox

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:16 PM

Toolman - thank you! I meant to ask about Firejail.

Thanks, Mike, as usual, you are a treasure trove of info. I will certainly take a look at those you mention.

By the way, what is Wine? If it doesn't show up under installed apps, can I assume it's not there or is it one of those things that are hidden? (If there is anything hidden in Linux.)

Thanks, Madman, I'll check out Vivaldi

Thanks Shelf Life, I'll look into Brave.

Rufwoof, thanks for sharing that. It's an interesting idea but someone like me would quickly get messed up. For me, this kind of separation is difficult to maintain even on different computers, let alone on one. You must be incredibly organized!

Edited by cooljay, 28 May 2017 - 09:16 PM.

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:20 PM

I use Opera- it works great on Linux Mint!

#9 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:02 AM

By the way, what is Wine? If it doesn't show up under installed apps, can I assume it's not there or is it one of those things that are hidden? (If there is anything hidden in Linux.)

Morning, cooljay.

WINE. Mm. Ooh, it raises all kinds of reactions among Linux users, this one...!  :lol:

What the WINE Project essentially does is to enable the use of Windows software within a Linux OS. In a nutshell (without getting too technical), it creates a virtual, 'real-time' Windows environment within which .exe files/MS software, etc., can install & function.

There's two schools of thought on this matter. You have the pro-Linux heavyweights, who, having got away from Windows, have no intention of having anything to do with MyCrudSoft ever again. For these, WINE is the ultimate 'slap in the face', and anyone using it is not 'playing the game'; as far as they're concerned, running it negates the whole point of Linux's security/permissions model.  :o

Then there's the second school of thought, which says that, okay, although I prefer using Linux, I'm used to some Windows programs for certain stuff; I wouldn't mind running the odd one occasionally, without needing to boot into Windows itself. I tend to agree with this; there's no getting away from the fact that for some things, various Windows apps do the job better.....just as for others, the Linux equivalents are more suitable. There's no shame in using both side by side, and getting the best of both worlds.

(TBH, there's also a third one here; which says that it's quite happy running both Windows & Linux.....but wants to keep them on totally separate machines. Which is fair enough..!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tend to be ambivalent about the entire issue; I can see all points of view, and, indeed, I use WINE myself for a dozen or so graphics apps that I used for years before switching to Linux when XP went EOL (including a much-used copy of Photoshop CS2, that cost me a small fortune back in the day.....which runs extremely well). For my last ever XP re-install, I took a totally different path from what I usually did, and ran everything as Portable Apps... 

Worked a treat. And for some strange reason, these run even better under WINE than normal Windows software does.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The argument against using WINE goes like this; You're running a Windows environment inside a Linux one, therefore you're opening your system up to all the Windows malware that goes with it. To me, this doesn't hold water; WINE is running behind the Linux firewall (which Windows malware can't get through anyway), and on top of the underlying Linux file-system.....and even if by some freak of fate it does get through, it's designed to work on Windows code/system stuff (so it's only going to 'wreak havoc' within the WINE 'container'). In any case. It won't affect the rest of your Linux system, because the coding is so completely different.

(My personal view? The whole argument is specious, really.....and amounts to nothing more than a 'storm in a teacup'..! I've said it before, and I'll say it again; there is no point is being so dogmatic about everything that you're constantly shooting yourself in the foot.....)

And yes; in 'normal' usage, WINE usually runs from a 'hidden' folder/directory within your home directory, and won't show unless you tell your file manager to show hidden items. Although it'll normally show up within the list of installed programs...  :scratchhead: It's not installed by default, anyway; you have to make the conscious decision to install WINE, so if it's not in the list of installed stuff, then no; it's not on your system.

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 29 May 2017 - 06:01 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:41 AM

(TBH, there's also a third one here; which says that it's quite happy running both Windows & Linux.....but wants to keep them on totally separate machines. Which is fair enough..!)

I find it best have a Windows XP only computer never connected online.

I have it for those only works well in Windows OS environment software apps.

I have some Engineering software and some other Windows software that I will occasionally need to use every now and than.

It is already installed on my Windows XP desktop so that is why I choose this way of running Windows software.

Works best for myself.

When I gave Wine a try I found it to be very limited as what programs it would run.

The Toolman

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:35 AM

Hiya, Toolman.

Whatever works best for ya!

That's the nice thing about the entire IT world these days; there is such a wealth of choice out there, that it would be extremely unusual for anyone NOT to be able to find a way of doing things that works for them. I think, in all honesty, that the way you're doing things is probably the preferred way for anyone who's got access to at least 2 or more reasonably capable machines.

I do have a VirtualBox install on one of my Pups, running a trial version of Win 7; 3 months per 'activation', and the option to re-arm 5 more times (which gives me around 18 months with it). But I don't use it very often because, although the old Compaq is well able to run it, it's slow.....for the simple reason that the Athlon64 X2 doesn't have VT in the instruction set.....

If I had a second box with the Compaq's specs, I'd probably do the same as you. Probably easier, keeping everything totally separate.....and we all know that, generally speaking, Windoze doesn't 'play nice' with Linux!

(I'm in Tahrpup64 at the mo.....which is so much sweeter to use!  :lol: ) I know which I prefer, given the choice.....

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:26 AM

Hiya, Toolman.

Whatever works best for ya!

That's the nice thing about the entire IT world these days; there is such a wealth of choice out there, that it would be extremely unusual for anyone NOT to be able to find a way of doing things that works for them. I think, in all honesty, that the way you're doing things is probably the preferred way for anyone who's got access to at least 2 or more reasonably capable machines.

If I had a second box with the Compaq's specs, I'd probably do the same as you. Probably easier, keeping everything totally separate.....

Agreed and I'm about easier.

Bummer you don't live around the corner from me so to speak.

If you did I would give you a very capable Dell desktop which I have a slew of.

Yes I know we are drifting :offtopic: :oopsign: it just happens. :whistle:

#13 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:01 AM

There's two schools of thought on this matter. You have the pro-Linux heavyweights, who, having got away from Windows, have no intention of having anything to do with MyCrudSoft ever again. For these, WINE is the ultimate 'slap in the face', and anyone using it is not 'playing the game'; as far as they're concerned, running it negates the whole point of Linux's security/permissions model.  :o

I have been watching this thread in an effort to learn some a Linux as I have some interest in experimenting with it some as time permits. This above has caused to comment.

Those who have this Linux only type approach likely don't work in fields (whether purely for work/business purposes or non-work/business purposes) that require (or at least strongly encourage) use of software that either does not have a Linux equivalent or the Linux equivalent is no where near the level of the Windows version.

I say this as a Mac user (and yes, I know that mentioning the computers and OS with a color fruit logo on it will perturb some Linux users just as much if not more than mentioning Microsoft and Windows) who has encountered such situations in the Mac. I am a structural engineer in the "real world". While there used to be some halfway decent structural engineering programs for macOS, they are largely gone. You can likely find a program that will do some stuff, but the reality is there is no structural engineering programs that can do all of what the major programs for Windows can do. So, if you are a structural engineer, you will almost definitely be using Windows programs (some real old times who hate using computer programs might go completely without and do everything by hand, but that is rather impractical, if not impossible, in today's world).

To me personally, my attitude is find the tool that works for you. There was a time when I was a bit of a good Mac fanboy and trolled Windows users by saying things like "An Apple a day will keep the Windoze away" (even though I had and used Windows computers), but I have mellowed out in my old age and suppressed my inner troll (he rages to get out on occasion, however). So, today, I say use what works for you. A computer is a tool. An OS is what make that tool work and different some other tool. All tools have strengths and weaknesses. Use the tool that works best for you to get the job you need done.

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,443 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:06 AM

All browsers are crap.

I have tried most of them and one isn't any better than another one.

I'll stay with Firefox at least I'm use to them.

I still hate them.

Edited by The-Toolman, 29 May 2017 - 07:34 PM.

#15 cooljay

cooljay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:45 AM

Lol, Toolman! Not sure how you can hate browsers in general - is there any other way to get online? As far as Firefox, I swore by it but now feel it let me down. If you look at my opening post you'll see why. I immediately disabled a bunch of my extensions. Real bummer, especially since this is an issue not talked about.

Thanks, Mike, for the info on WINE. I read an article where it was briefly mentioned, in half a sentence, as a security threat, and I just wondered if it was possible that this is installed already without my knowledge. So I'm guessing the answer to that one is no.

By the way, I installed Arora, just for fun, and the first thing I see is that it is joined at the hip with Google. Or at least it seems that way? There is a google search box on the home page. Complete turnoff for me unless I can get rid of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users