Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender is on, but I cannot open the window.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ithai

ithai

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:59 PM

It seems to be running as it says No Actions Needed in the taskbar. However, when I try to open it, a window opens and closes immediately. I cannot seem to open Windows Defender.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:25 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Safe Mode in Windows 10

Press the Windows key windowskey_zps092d5c75.png and the R key to open the Run box.

Type msconfig in the Run box and click/tap OK.  This will open System Configuration.

Click/tap on the Boot tab, then click/tap on Safe boot.

Click/tap on Apply, the OK.

Edited to add important information.

The computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode until you go back to System Configuration and open the Boot tab and remove the check from the Safe boot box.  Click/tap on Apply, then OK.

Restart the computer to boot into Windows 10.

Edited by dc3, 29 May 2017 - 09:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ithai

ithai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

Yes, I am able to boot in Safe Mode. However, I am unable to open up Windows Defender. When clicking on Update & Security in Settings, the window closes.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

Are you running another antivirus on this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 ithai

ithai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

The only other thing I have was malwarebytes. But removing it didn't do anything.

Edited by ithai, 30 May 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#6 Iangh

Iangh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 04:52 AM

Sounds like Windows Defender Security Centre service isn't starting. I have this problem with only Comodo Firewall. If you go into Services see whether it is running. Mine is correctly set to auto but doesn't start. If not running start it and you should get access to WD. Try rebooting to see if you can still get access. If not, access WD classic via a shortcut, http://winaero.com/blog/classic-windows-defender-windows-10-1703/.

#7 ithai

ithai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

That didn't help.

I managed to fix my problem, among other Windows 10 related problems where I could not open other things. I assumed it was due to moving the partition. I fixed it by "Upgrading" my Windows as a means of reinstalling/repairing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users