Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Compaq DX2000 Win98 boot Problem "standard IDE/ISDE hard disk driver"

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Darkplx

Darkplx

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:04 AM

Hi everyone, i recently bought a pc on ebay with this name: "HP Compaq DX2000 Tower Intel Pentium4 2,8GHz 512MB DDR1 40GB IDE DVD IDE".

I wanted to make a win98se gaming pc, and this pc seemed perfect due to the pentium 4 and 512mb memory.

when i installed the os i had a small problem with the cd not being detected by 98, but i resolved the issue with an old floppy disk with a dos cd driver:(version 2.1)

I also found a site with my specs: https://www.allthingsmine.com/products/Desktops/c_S2077004.html "my ram is not 256 but 512."

Heres the issue im having: in the device manager there was a conflict with the intel® 82801EB ultra ata storage controllers. I resolved the problem by setting the dual ide channel to :"only primary ide channel enabled". After rebooting i tried to detect any other hardware and found the "standard IDE/ISDE hard disk Controller" when i installed the intel driver for it, the secondary ide controller and dvd player appeared in the device manager. 

But now every time i reboot it freezes in the windows startup text. ill attach a picture of the text. Attached File  win98 issue.jpg   72.59KB   2 downloads 

i rebooted in safe mode and disabled the controller in device manager. and rebooted again without freezing. my dvd drive is gone and only comes back when i enable the IDE/ISDE controller. 

hard disk is primary master, dvd player is secondary slave. secondary slave is the only thing thats atapi compatible. according to bios setup

Anyone know how i can fix this?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:48 AM

Is this 98 or 98SE? I would rename your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files to Autoexec.bak and Config.bak. Windows 98 doesn't need these files unless you plan on playing some DOS games and 98 has a DOS mode where the files are automatically created to run a DOS game. These files will be on the root of C:

If you are running Windows 98 and 98SE then download SE here.

#3 Darkplx

Darkplx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! i have the latest version of win98SE. where can i find these Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files to rename them?

#4 Darkplx

Darkplx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:55 AM

Is this 98 or 98SE? I would rename your Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files to Autoexec.bak and Config.bak. Windows 98 doesn't need these files unless you plan on playing some DOS games and 98 has a DOS mode where the files are automatically created to run a DOS game. These files will be on the root of C:

If you are running Windows 98 and 98SE then download SE here.

(Forgot to quote and dont know how to delete the post) Thanks for the quick reply! i have the latest version of win98SE. where can i find these Autoexec.bat and Config.sys files to rename them?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,537 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:00 PM

They should be on the root of C:\. Open my Computer or Computer and click on your hard drive. I am hazarding a guess the image you posted is showing commands given by the autoexec.bat file.

#6 Darkplx

Darkplx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

They should be on the root of C:\. Open my Computer or Computer and click on your hard drive. I am hazarding a guess the image you posted is showing commands given by the autoexec.bat file.

I changed the files to .bak, and also looked at the autoexec file and your right about the image. i enabled the standard IDE/ISDE hard disk Controller and tried rebooting. now its stuck with this text: Attached File  IMG_20170528_190622564.jpg   35.51KB   1 downloads 

Any suggestions on how  i can fix this? edit: the dot on the bottom keeps bleeping so technically not fully frozen.

Thanks.

Edited by Darkplx, 28 May 2017 - 12:55 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,537 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

I would check your hard drive and RAM for any problems. 

Seatools for DOS

Memtest+86

You can burn the iso to a CD by right clicking on a Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image.

If the hard drive and memory check out okay then download Win98SE from the link I provided. Perhaps your install iso is bad. 

Another option. Install more RAM and install XP. Then install Virtual Box and run Windows 98 in a Virtual Machine. I am not sure what the max RAM is for your MB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRAQabqyQXQ

#8 Darkplx

Darkplx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:22 PM

I would check your hard drive and RAM for any problems. 

Seatools for DOS

Memtest+86

You can burn the iso to a CD by right clicking on a Windows 7 or later computer and selecting Burn Disk Image.

If the hard drive and memory check out okay then download Win98SE from the link I provided. Perhaps your install iso is bad. 

Another option. Install more RAM and install XP. Then install Virtual Box and run Windows 98 in a Virtual Machine. I am not sure what the max RAM is for your MB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRAQabqyQXQ

First of all, Thanks for all the advice! 

ive tried seatools for dos, and memtest for 9x and passed both tests.

I also wanted to try seatools for windows but it required : " .NET Framework v4.0" which is incomptible with windows 98.

I dont think my windows 98SE will be the cause of the problem. because i used an official Microsoft installation cd fresh out of the package.

Could it be that its a driver issue? because like i said, the pc works fine until i install the "standard IDE/ISDE hard disk Controller".

Any suggestions from anyone are welcome. Because i dont want to give up on my win98 just yet.  :warrior: 

Thanks.

Edit: Im currently using the following chipset driver:

sp27532.exe       

"Driver name: Intel Chipset Support For Windows"

"Driver version: 5.1.0.1008 A"

"Release date: 2005-01-18"

"File Size: 2.6 MB"

"Supported OS: XP, Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows ME"

Edited by Darkplx, 29 May 2017 - 11:44 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,537 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 07:53 AM

I am not sure how to proceed at this point. Can you revert the driver in Device Manager similar to Windows 7? Other than that you may want to try reinstalling Windows 98.

#10 Darkplx

Darkplx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

I am not sure how to proceed at this point. Can you revert the driver in Device Manager similar to Windows 7? Other than that you may want to try reinstalling Windows 98.

I have decided to instead of fixing the problem, im going to manually enable and disable the "ISDE" when i need my dvd drive. According to a professional  the issue is because my hp compaq is just too new for it to work on windows 98 

he also stated i should install xp and from there use virtualbox. but im able to install and play games right now, and thats all i care about.

so case closed i guess.. 

a big thank you from belgium!

A.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,537 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:01 PM

Your Welcome, and thanks for the update. As you say, the most important part is getting the old games to play.

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 13 June 2017 - 10:03 PM

I dont think my windows 98SE will be the cause of the problem. because i used an official Microsoft installation cd fresh out of the package.

Couldnt have. 98 does not write the real mode drivers to autoexec.bat like you are seeing in the screenshot you posted

In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 Darkplx

Darkplx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:49 AM

Couldnt have. 98 does not write the real mode drivers to autoexec.bat like you are seeing in the screenshot you posted

I used the cd you see in the picture. It came with package and everything. I dont see how my copy is not legitimate.. 

it says second edition on both the cd and manual.

But like i said, i did have some driver issues when i installed it. So maybe that has something to do with it?

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users