Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:54 AM

i had this motherboard given to me with a case.....is it worth building a computer with this with windows 7 or 10??....how does this board compare to a dell E521?

these are the dell specs.....AMD Athlon™ 64 x2 dual core processor 3600+ 1.9 Ghz

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5K/

https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-p5k-se-motherboard-atx-lga775-socket-p35-series/specs/

Edited by mikey11, 28 May 2017 - 08:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:34 PM

If you can find cheap Core 2 Quad on that Asus, then it's OK.

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

i would take the DELL stock board over an old ASUS anyday. My workstation has a sabertooth in it, and that  is ok for me most of the time but those old asus boards are nothing but trouble. but then, your mileage may vary. i once thought that if the user didn't have the complimentary asus AI suite, then yes the asus boards aren't that good.  but after wrangling with a few of the asis boards, and then learning the joys of gigabyte boards, i can't look back now.

also, long ago, there was a big scandal with dell (foxcon) boards, circa 2001..the capacitors were rupturing..   they corrected that and i haven't seen and old stock dell board with faulty components since

the problems i had with those asus boards range from sata ports, to memory slots to pcie slots to USB inconsistency. i remember one time, the board offered about 5 differing reasons why it couldn't boot when the boot disk was good...

the controllers and buses  are the hardware level characteristics that make themselves known whether the board is good or not

Edited by synergy513, 28 May 2017 - 07:45 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

Getting a core 2 quad is indeed a cool idea, I mean you were given the motherboard so why the heck not?

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:22 PM

thanks for the info....

the chip that came with it say....

intel core 2 quad

2.40ghz

a bunch of other writing that is so small its hard to read even with a magnifying glass

another number at the bottom i think is L741A915

SLACR MALAY

given the specs is it safe to say this motherboard is better then the dell E521....if i was building a computer out of the two motherboards alone, which would be best?

i will be buying windows 7 or 10 for either choice....or possibly going with linux

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2017 - 06:06 AM.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

CPU is probably that one http://ark.intel.com/products/29765/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q6600-8M-Cache-2_40-GHz-1066-MHz-FSB

That Asus is not OEM motherboard so it's probably better than Dell one.

I don't think there are Windows 10 chipset drivers for P35 chipset.

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:18 PM

yes, the core 2 quad q6600 in the asus motherboard beats out the amd x2 in the stock dell.  last time i benched those, the core 2 duo was about twice the potency hertz for hertz than the amd x2 and the p4d was about half the potency of the amd64 x2.  i benched with opengl though. those q6600 cpus grew quite famous for their clock speed manipulation abilities. I have the xeon equivalent in my everyday windoze PC, the 3220.

there is a bright side to an old asus mobo , lots of learning how to keep the thing booting , make the google search results for the board a bookmark in your browser, you will prolly be calling it up often.

Edited by synergy513, 29 May 2017 - 08:39 PM.

#8 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

thanks for the info.....what were the problems you had with not booting?

i booted it up the other day with just a power supply and no hard drive, i just used a USB stick with linux mint for testing, i set all the bios settings to default and it seemed to run greaton the web.....i watched a few short youtube videos and no troubles or freezing,

not sure what i will use as a permanent OS yet when i install a hard drive...leaning toward windows 7

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2017 - 06:05 AM.

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:39 PM

it was just one thing after another, the sata ports were not picking up the HDD connection consistently so henceforth error "no bot device", the USB 3.0 and 2.0 weren't picking up the drive i had stuck in consistently, The ODD sata cable  had to be disconnected for it to see the hdd in a different port consistently..one time, it said my HDD was failing SMART, the memory slots were good though. it was a nightmare,,,but in a way, the nightmare was a learning experience and I know alot more than i did before wrangling with it, so, i guess that was a good thing in the end. But after it was all done , i said, "E-Nuff" and got it to booting consistently with Win7 32 bit and left it on the heap.

My stock DELL MoBo from an Inspiron 530 socket 775 is humming along as a triple boot number with each OS on its own HDD. ..with the ODD occupying the last sata port. That board is making me happy now. Unfortunately, it is the variety that can only take a dual core, so i stuck an e8600 in it after updating BIOS.

And when i insert a usb stick in it, it picks it right up..on time..everytime

Edited by synergy513, 08 June 2017 - 08:41 PM.

#10 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2017 - 02:28 PM

thanks again for the info,

having a hard time trying to find the latest bios software for this, i would like to make sure its up to date.....any suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2017 - 06:05 AM.

#11 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2017 - 01:15 AM

yes, the board support page , looks like 11 bios editions, but it looks like a OS sub listing, i just put linux in as an example

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5K/HelpDesk_Download/

looks like the last edition was november 2008

Edited by synergy513, 10 June 2017 - 01:17 AM.

#12 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

thanks dude,

i will be throwing a hard drive in it this week and loading windows, will let you know how it goes

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2017 - 06:04 AM.

#13 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2017 - 02:08 PM

Excellent, your mileage may vary, but hopefully the flow will be seemless

#14 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 12:53 PM

thanks again,

i should be installing 64 bit windows 7 with this....correct?

Edited by hamluis, 17 June 2017 - 06:04 AM.

#15 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

sure thing.

OS is user choice. i would make a dual-boot with it. linux for anything telecom, windows for standalone isolated use  64 bit or 32 bit, depends on your memory, video card , anticipated applications etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users