Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsure if this is the right sub-forum - Got an hourly window pop up i cant solve

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hyperjackal

Hyperjackal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

Having an issue with a new computer build. The problem can be seen on this unlisted video on my youtube (0:07 - https://youtu.be/u00J2SANC2s), and occurs at the same time every hour.

The computer as a fresh install doesn't do it, but i can't seem to discern when this problem occurs. I have very few things installed, but here is a list of everything in order:

Windows 10 Pro (Plus auto detected drivers, including amd drivers for gpu)
Windows 10 Updates
Winrar
Private Internet Access (VPN)
Gigabyte Drivers - Only the Realtek Audio and Realtek LAN drivers
Gigabyte Services - Includes APP Center/EasyTune/V-Tuner/System Information Viewer/ON-OFF Charge 2.0

MatLab
Office 2016
Chrome
java - 32bit
Malware Bytes 3
Microsoft Expression Encoder 4 (for recording the video)

Things I have tried: 
-Reinstalling windows (followed the same application install path and it returned occurring at a different time every hour)
-Task Scheduler: Its clean of anything happening during that time frame
-Autoruns: Nothing looked too suspicious except for some stuff under the drivers tab, WinMad, WinVerbs and ibbus from a publisher called Mellanox all have timestamps ending in the 46th minute of the hour. However I'm assuming its coincidence more than anything as the time stamps are dated way back in 2016.
-windows defender (Microsoft security essentials) Full Scan: Found No threats
-Malware Bytes 3 Threat Scan and Memory Scan: No Threats

Any help would be appreciated, as this hourly popup is driving me crazy, and shoots me back to desktop whenever in full screen activities.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Reaver330

Reaver330

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

Hello,

I've been getting this exact same issue!

I've checked startup items, checked running processes and scheduled tasks. I've run pretty much the minimum and it still happens. It seems to minimise any game that I may be playing at the time too.

Hopefully someone will have an answer to this as it's really bugging me.

Edit:

Appears after further searches we aren't the only ones suffering from this. TL;DR it's because of Microsoft Office.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/6dnsb4/today_i_noticed_that_a_random_cmdexe_window_keeps/

SOLUTION: go to Task Scheduler > Microsoft > Office > Right click "OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration" > Disable.

Edited by Reaver330, 28 May 2017 - 12:54 PM.

#3 Hyperjackal

Hyperjackal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:59 PM

I think I found a potential solution (It at least worked for me, so I hope it may work for you)

1.) Open Task Scheduler

2.) Open up the Task Scheduler Library (Little Arrow Next to the Folder Icon. Make sure its pointing in the down position)

3.) Open up the Microsoft folder (again, arrow pointing down)

4.) Click on the Office Folder

5.) Disable or Delete 'OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration'. (This made sense for me as the time stamp, especially minutes and seconds match up exactly with the time in the video)

Here's a link of the picture of my task scheduler:http: //imgur.com/a/bPQrV 

I think if that doesn't work, it's definitely worth looking through all the sub folders and each individual task for anything that matches the exact time stamp you see it occurring!

Edit - LOL Was about 5 minutes late to finish my reply, but i found my solution over on the tomshardware forum: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3426109/hourly-executable-pop-ruining-build-figure.html

Edited by Hyperjackal, 28 May 2017 - 01:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users