Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer painfully slow recently

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mamameeya

mamameeya

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:42 AM

Hi fellow Bleepers,

I am running Windows 10 on my Asus N56V (Intel core I5-3210M, 2.5Ghz, 16G RAM) which is still a new laptop given I only really use it for photoshop CS6, logging in remotely for work, and youtube and emails. Very light internet surfing, never been on any unsavoury sites etc (mainly YouTube, yahoo, Hotmail, twitter, facebook).

My laptop is painfully slow. Slow to launch Explorer, Photoshop is extremely slow to launch and to process. The PC has almost become useless. Is there something I can do? Do you think it's just a simple case of my PC is outdated, regardless of the little mileage it has had? Any help would be massively appreciated and any advice re what I can do spec wise for efficient Photoshop use would be massively helpful (the 16G RAM is the highest I can go on this PC).

Thanks!!

Edited by hamluis, 29 May 2017 - 09:26 AM.
Moved from W10 Spt to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

PC's don't become "outdated" and display the issues you're complaining about simply because of age. Boot to safe mode. Do things load faster there?

1) Do you have an anti virus app installed and resident?

2) Run a full system scan with your AV app AND with MalwareBytes.

3) If the scans come back "clean" and if the system runs normally in safe mode, we'll talk about a selective startup.

#3 mamameeya

mamameeya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:39 AM

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the quick reply. In answering your questions:

I tried booting in safe mode. It's a bit quicker in loading up my photos but I obviously can't launch IE etc to check that. No real difference noticed otherwise.

I have the latest version of AVG on my PC. I've just run a full scan and it came up clean.

Any advice on what else I could try?

Thanks

#4 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:23 AM

you updated all driver and try the steps

• Make sure that you have updated all drivers for your computer hardware especially the graphics card driver.
  • Perform a Windows 10 Repair: If you’re getting the high ram usage problems with Windows 10 on your computer, you should be able to use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.
  • Add more RAM: This is a useful method for your computer system. When your computer runs short of RAM, it’s forced to swap the overflow data on and off of the hard drive, which can cause memory high memory usage.
  • Uninstall unnecessary applications.

Edited by Lvlpost, 29 May 2017 - 07:26 AM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:27 AM

There is nothing in the above post I agree with. Uninstalling programs does nothing to speed up  your system unless your hd is full. Updating drivers also has nothing to do with your issue. A W10 repair? Why? As for ram, 16 gb is MORE than enough for you.

Did you run a scan with MalwareBytes? If not, please do so now.

Then let's try a selective startup. If this doesn't help the issue may be hardware related. 

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/startup_cpl.html) or autoruns to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:58 AM

Malwarebytes is a  program which should only be run in the Am I Infected forum.  Security scans are not allowed in the Windows forums for security reasons.  I will request that this topic be moved to the Am I Infected forum.  If nothing nasty is found this topic can be reopened in the Windows 10 forum if you ask a Moderator.

There are a couple of scans which you may benefit from, I will provide instructions for running these.  I will also provide instructions which may make running Malwarebytes easier.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.2.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  Malwarebytes will automatically open.  You will see an image like the one below, click on Update Now.  

mbam1_zps98e7fba9.png

3)  Click on Settings, you will see a image like the one below.

malware%20settings_zpsixkea5sd.png

When Settings opens click on Detection and Protection, then under Non-Malware Protection, click on the down arrow for PUP (Potentially Unwanted Programs) detections and select Treat detections as malware.  Under Detection Options place a check in the box for Scan for rootkits

4)  Click on Scan (next to Settings), then click on Scan Now.  The scan will automatically run now.

5)  When the scan is complete the results will be displayed.  Click on Delete All.

malwarenew_zps34b58fdc.png

6)  Please post the Malwarebytes log.

Do the following to find and post the Malwarebytes log.

*Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
*Click the Scan Tab at the top.
*Click the View detailed log link on the right.
*Click Copy to Clipboard at the bottom...come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
*Alternatively, you can click Export and save the log as a .txt file on yout Desktop or another location.
*Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

Please run AdwCleaner

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.

If there are no malicious programs are found you will receive the following message.

adwcleaner%20111_zpsiduqrrrp.png  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.  The computer will be restarted to complete the cleaning process.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

There are other things you can do to decrease that unneeded applications.

If the mass storage device is a hdd defrag it.

Use the Disk Cleanup feature.

Please download Temp File Cleaner by Old Timer and save it to your desktop.

1. Save any unsaved work. (TFC will close ALL open programs including your browser!)

2. Double-click on TFC.exe to run it.

3. Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process and let it run uninterrupted to completion.

tempfilecleaner1_zpsaaf9e118.png

4.  After Temp Flie Cleaner has run, click on Exit.

tempfilecleaner2_zpsdffa9226.png

Please download and install Junkware Removal Tool.

Open your browser and go to Downloads, then click on the Junkware Removal Tool to install it.  

Click on Run to initiate the installation.

To avoid potential conflicts, temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall.  You will want to be offline when you do this.

Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.

The tool will open and start scanning your system.

Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.  Copy and this and then post this in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:08 AM

you updated all driver and try the steps

• Make sure that you have updated all drivers for your computer hardware especially the graphics card driver.

• Perform a Windows 10 Repair: If you’re getting the high ram usage problems with Windows 10 on your computer, you should be able to use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

• Add more RAM: This is a useful method for your computer system. When your computer runs short of RAM, it’s forced to swap the overflow data on and off of the hard drive, which can cause memory high memory usage.

• Uninstall unnecessary applications.

+1  I agree with Allan, there is nothing appropriate for addressing the OP's problem in this post.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 mamameeya

mamameeya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:13 AM

Massive thanks for the help here... ok, I ran the malware, Adcleaner, Junkware - nothing detected on malware and no log available (let me know if I got this wrong though) and the logs for the other 2 are below. I also did defrag and clean as suggested. I also ran your tempfile cleaner. Forgot to say my IE will often say "IE not responding" at launch for a while before it kicks in and works. Not sure if this is vital info so apologies for missing it first time round

# AdwCleaner v6.047 - Logfile created 29/05/2017 at 16:43:23
# Updated on 19/05/2017 by Malwarebytes
# Database : 2017-05-26.6 [Server]
# Operating System : Windows 10 Home  (X64)
# Username : Miguel - MIG-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\Miguel\Downloads\AdwCleaner.exe
# Mode: Clean
# Support : https://www.malwarebytes.com/support

***** [ Services ] *****

[-] Service deleted: vToolbarUpdater40.3.7
[-] Service deleted: WtuSystemSupport

***** [ Folders ] *****

[!] Folder not deleted: C:\ProgramData\Avg_Update_0715tb
[!] Folder not deleted: C:\Users\Miguel\AppData\Local\avg web tuneup
[!] Folder not deleted: C:\Users\Miguel\AppData\LocalLow\avg web tuneup
[!] Folder not deleted: C:\Program Files\avg web tuneup
[!] Folder not deleted: C:\Program Files\Common Files\AVG Secure Search
[!] Folder not deleted: C:\ProgramData\AVG Secure Search
[!] Folder not deleted: C:\ProgramData\AVG Security Toolbar
[!] Folder not deleted: C:\ProgramData\avg web tuneup
[!] Folder not deleted: C:\Program Files (x86)\avg web tuneup
[!] Folder not deleted: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AVG Secure Search

***** [ Files ] *****

***** [ DLL ] *****

***** [ WMI ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

[!] Key not deleted: HKU\S-1-5-21-249429041-2159125157-736769044-1002\Software\AVG Nation toolbar
[!] Key not deleted: HKCU\Software\AVG Nation toolbar
[!] Key not deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVG Nation toolbar
[!] Key not deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVG Security Toolbar
[!] Key not deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVG Tuneup
[!] Key not deleted: [x64] HKCU\Software\AVG Nation toolbar
[!] Key not deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@avg.com/AVG SiteSafety plugin,version=11.0.0.1,application/x-avg-sitesafety-plugin
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.GenericWnd
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.GenericWnd.1
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.NativeApi
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.NativeApi.1
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.ScriptHelperApi
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.ScriptHelperApi.1
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\WtuServer.WtuServerObj
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\WtuServer.WtuServerObj.1
[#] Key deleted on reboot: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.GenericWnd
[#] Key deleted on reboot: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.GenericWnd.1
[#] Key deleted on reboot: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.NativeApi
[#] Key deleted on reboot: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.NativeApi.1
[#] Key deleted on reboot: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.ScriptHelperApi
[#] Key deleted on reboot: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\ScriptHelper.ScriptHelperApi.1
[#] Key deleted on reboot: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\WtuServer.WtuServerObj
[#] Key deleted on reboot: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\WtuServer.WtuServerObj.1
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{933B95E2-E7B7-4AD9-B952-7AC336682AE3}
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{B2BC04DF-EFBD-409A-95CA-36874E5AB92A}
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{CA3A5461-96B5-46DD-9341-5350D3C94615}
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{C401D2CE-DC27-45C7-BC0C-8E6EA7F085D6}
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{C2AC8A0E-E48E-484B-A71C-C7A937FAAB94}
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\TypeLib\{4BC8AD89-AC5F-4DBD-A38F-C355C7DD33D7}
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[-] Key deleted: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[-] Key deleted: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{B2BC04DF-EFBD-409A-95CA-36874E5AB92A}
[-] Key deleted: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\PreApproved\{B2BC04DF-EFBD-409A-95CA-36874E5AB92A}
[-] Key deleted: HKU\S-1-5-21-249429041-2159125157-736769044-1002\Software\Softonic
[#] Key deleted on reboot: HKCU\Software\Softonic
[#] Key deleted on reboot: [x64] HKCU\Software\Softonic
[-] Key deleted: HKU\S-1-5-21-249429041-2159125157-736769044-1002\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[#] Key deleted on reboot: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[#] Key deleted on reboot: [x64] HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{95B7759C-8C7F-4BF1-B163-73684A933233}
[-] Value deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run [vProt]
[-] Value deleted: [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartupApproved\Run32 [vProt]
[-] Key deleted: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\avgsh

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[-] [C:\Users\Miguel\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web data] [Search Provider] Deleted: uk.ask.com

:: "Tracing" keys deleted
:: Winsock settings cleared

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [5300 Bytes] - [29/05/2017 16:43:23]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [5345 Bytes] - [29/05/2017 16:40:23]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [5446 Bytes] ##########

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.1.3 (04.10.2017)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64
Ran by Miguel (Administrator) on 29/05/2017 at 17:00:05.17

File System: 2

Successfully deleted: C:\ProgramData\avg security toolbar (Folder)
Successfully deleted: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\avg secure search\vtoolbarupdater (Folder)

Registry: 1

Successfully deleted: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{0633EE93-D776-472f-A0FF-E1416B8B2E3A} (Registry Key)

Scan was completed on 29/05/2017 at 17:02:09.35
End of JRT log

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 11:19 AM

Is  the computer running any faster?

#10 mamameeya

mamameeya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Yes it is, and I am hugely grateful for your help here. Thanks. So it's ultimately caused by adware/junkware?

Also, may I ask what is required to make photoshop run as fast as possible? Apologies if not the right forum; amongst the photographer community the consensus seems to vary between RAM and SSD but I've never asked IT experts the question. Grateful for any comments on this and whether you think my system is good for this cause (I bought this laptop mainly because of screen quality for the price I could afford)

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:15 PM

A lot of the things that were taken out were the type of thirdparty applications that you wind up with if you download and install programs and use the Express "suggested" method of installation. 

Third party software being bundled in downloads has become a common practice, this is a source of extra revenue for the author of the primary software being downloaded.  

There are two methods of installing the software:

The Express method is the recommended option for installing the software.  If this method is used the embedded third party software will automatically be installed.

If you choose to use the Custom Installation (Advanced) each of the third party software will appear with a check mark already added to install the software, you must remove the check mark if you do not want this software installed.

An example of these two choices can be seen in the image below.

bundled_zps943899be.png

In order to answer you other question please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy...1png_zpsr3irze6o.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy...2_zpsia3rp09d.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy...3_zpsnj1twsfh.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

#12 mamameeya

mamameeya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 03:06 PM

Thanks once again - unfortunately have no idea of PSU but here is the other info:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Aq0LZFarx3gcd2v2OddUicz

Edited by mamameeya, 31 May 2017 - 03:07 PM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

Your computer has more than enough RAM and a CPU which should be fast enough to do most any type of photographic process short of video editing.  Basically, what you are experiencing now is about as good as it's going to get with this computer.  Those who are serious about photo editing usually will build their own computer with components which lend themselves to acceptable performance levels for what ever endeavor they are involved in.

#14 mamameeya

mamameeya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:20 AM

That's great and good to hear. Thank you for your help - much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users