Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Command prompt popping up at the same time every hour

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nena29

Nena29

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:52 PM

Hello, I hope this is the right forum to post this in. I should clarify first that I am not a computer expert and quite frankly have no idea what to do in this scenario. I'm hoping that my system hasn't been infected with anything.

Yesterday, while playing League of Legends, I was randomly tabbed out of the game for no reason and thought nothing of it. As I continued playing throughout the day, I kept getting tabbed out. I looked at my phones time and realized it was happening every hour at the same time. For my computer it was at the 24 minute mark of every hour. Today, it's continued to happen and I finally looked it up on Google. I found quite a few forums with my exact problem, and a lot of them scared me with people saying the system could be infected. So, I decided to create my own thread hoping maybe my situation is slightly different from others and could be an easy fix and not malicious software in my system. The popup I keep getting is a command prompt window and it barely stays on the screen for a second before it vanishes. I have a Windows 10 operating system if that helps at all. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boriel1972

boriel1972

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:04 AM

Hello, 

I have win8.1 running and I am seeing the same thing. I am now running a full defender scan and then will probably download malwarebytes to double check. 

Hopefully some kind soul will wander past and offer some appropriate advice (hint... hint)

#3 boriel1972

boriel1972

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:00 AM

I have run windows defender, hitman pro and malwarebytes with null result... I wonder if it's a program bug?

#4 Anulled

Anulled

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:49 PM

Do you have Office installed?

If so, check your task scheduler for an entry in the 'Office' folder that has ran very close to that time.

I can't exactly remember the name (and cannot check on this PC) but it has something to do with registration.

I know that it causes a command prompt to appear for a few seconds and it gets really annoying as it runs exactly once an hour (similar to your problem).

#5 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:44 PM

There's a discussion of this issue going on over at the Windows 7 forum approaching under the assumption it's some sort of Office-related bug.  I noticed a "Normal.dotm" issue when I tried to open a new Word document which might be related.  There's also another thread here checking to see if it's malware or not.  It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

#6 boriel1972

boriel1972

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:45 PM

Do you have Office installed?

If so, check your task scheduler for an entry in the 'Office' folder that has ran very close to that time.

I can't exactly remember the name (and cannot check on this PC) but it has something to do with registration.

I know that it causes a command prompt to appear for a few seconds and it gets really annoying as it runs exactly once an hour (similar to your problem).

Hello thank you for that. Going through the scheduler I found adobe acrobat update checking ever 210 minutes, which was about the interval I was seeing the window. 

I have disabled that trigger and will see if that does it.

Once again thank you.

#7 Lxno78

Lxno78

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

I seem to be having the same issue, since yesterday as well. 

The scans I did came up clean too (Avast Antivirus, Malwarebytes, and Adwcleaner).

Is there a way to force an event to trigger, in the task scheduler, without having to change to trigger settings? I'm wondering if I could just go down the list of tasks and trigger them one by one and see if the command prompt shows up.

#8 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:37 PM

I seem to be having the same issue, since yesterday as well. 

The scans I did came up clean too (Avast Antivirus, Malwarebytes, and Adwcleaner).

Is there a way to force an event to trigger, in the task scheduler, without having to change to trigger settings? I'm wondering if I could just go down the list of tasks and trigger them one by one and see if the command prompt shows up.

I wonder if setting your computer's clock ahead by an hour would trigger it?

#9 Dazzalbus

Dazzalbus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:22 PM

I had the same issue this week, windows 10 home. Driverbooster updater seems the issue for me.

In task scheduler (administrator as my standard account had no tasks), disabled iobits DriverBooster 'update something or other' (it also had a UAC entry which i left alone). My system is very light so it was easy to determine. There was also adobes updater which i left alone.

Solved it for me.

#10 theeye23

theeye23

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:46 PM

Hello, I hope this is the right forum to post this in. I should clarify first that I am not a computer expert and quite frankly have no idea what to do in this scenario. I'm hoping that my system hasn't been infected with anything.

Yesterday, while playing League of Legends, I was randomly tabbed out of the game for no reason and thought nothing of it. As I continued playing throughout the day, I kept getting tabbed out. I looked at my phones time and realized it was happening every hour at the same time. For my computer it was at the 24 minute mark of every hour. Today, it's continued to happen and I finally looked it up on Google. I found quite a few forums with my exact problem, and a lot of them scared me with people saying the system could be infected. So, I decided to create my own thread hoping maybe my situation is slightly different from others and could be an easy fix and not malicious software in my system. The popup I keep getting is a command prompt window and it barely stays on the screen for a second before it vanishes. I have a Windows 10 operating system if that helps at all. 

I doubt that your system is compromised. But to be sure, scan your system with good AV and  try to look at your Task Scheduler and see if there are scheduled task running on that time when there's cmd window popping up.

#11 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

Seen this on two Windows 10 desktops today. Flashes by too quick to tell it is a command prompt (just the outline of a window flashes on the screen) but it is the right size for one.

Scans are clean and it fits with a task in task scheduler that I think may have been added/modified by a recent Office upgrade.

The task is named

OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration

This is all speculation so far but wanted to add that I too have had it reported to me by users and this is what I have found in common so far.

EDIT: Found more info about this...

"This issue is fixed starting with build 16.0.8201.2025 which is now available as the latest update for those participating in the Office Insiders Slow program. It will be included in a future update for those not participating in Insiders."

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_win10/officebackgroundtaskhandlerregistration-flashes-a/2600497e-78e4-41a1-9040-461cd2c3ea13

So if that is indeed our issue it should be fixed in an update soon.

Edited by James Litten, 30 May 2017 - 05:10 PM.

#12 Lxno78

Lxno78

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

Seen this on two Windows 10 desktops today. Flashes by too quick to tell it is a command prompt (just the outline of a window flashes on the screen) but it is the right size for one.

Scans are clean and it fits with a task in task scheduler that I think may have been added/modified by a recent Office upgrade.

The task is named

OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration

This is all speculation so far but wanted to add that I too have had it reported to me by users and this is what I have found in common so far.

EDIT: Found more info about this...

"This issue is fixed starting with build 16.0.8201.2025 which is now available as the latest update for those participating in the Office Insiders Slow program. It will be included in a future update for those not participating in Insiders."

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_win10/officebackgroundtaskhandlerregistration-flashes-a/2600497e-78e4-41a1-9040-461cd2c3ea13

So if that is indeed our issue it should be fixed in an update soon.

I can actual confirm that this appears to be the issue that occurred for me. I noticed that the command prompt was opening almost precisely every hour, so I was able to take a screen shot:

WbesBSD.jpg

You can see that most of the word OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration is in the titlebar. I also found this to questions saying this is the issue, from a few days ago.

Although I have not had my computer on for longer than an hour after reading the answer, to confirm if the fix works, the below is the suggested method to stop the propmt from popping up.

Method to Stop Command Prompt Pop-Up:

Go to the Task Scheduler  then  disable the task OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration in the task scheduler. To get to that task, in the left pane find the Office folder (located under Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft)

I go the answer from this thread on Reddit.

I suppose when the issue is eventually patched you can re-enable the OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration task if it's needed and obviously, if the  disabling the task causes you issues then enable it again, but the pop-up will return. (I haven't run into any issues yet with the task disabled though).

Edited by Lxno78, 30 May 2017 - 06:20 PM.

#13 DavePilbeam

DavePilbeam

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:00 AM

This worked it for me too on Windows 7 Pro

I was on the right track looking in Task Scheduler but actually finding a task that was running at 42 mins every hour was not intuitive until I read this post - thanks!

#14 MattWilliamsPC

MattWilliamsPC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

Hello! I have identified a potential fix for this issue. I was having an issue where the command window would randomly appear 22 minutes after the hour. I checked the Task Scheduler, and i saw that there is a background process from Microsoft Office that runs at this exact time. With the Task Scheduler, i was able to test this by forcing Windows to preform this task and the command prompt did show briefly.

The fix is to simple disable this task, it will not affect Office or Windows at all.

Hope this helps..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users