Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VLC Media Player: Occasionally a DVD will not play

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 08:26 PM

(I posted this on another forum and did not receive an answer so I will try here.)

Sysem: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
VLC Media Player version 2.2.6 

Most DVDs play fine - no problem. But tonight we had a 2016 DVD that would not play with VLC Media Player but worked fine with Windows Media Player. (Note that this is not the first time this problem has occurred, although this problem is rare.) After watching the movie using Media Player, I tried an experiment with VLC. I inserted the DVD, chose VLC, and then waited. I tried this several times. Sometimes nothing would happen even after several minutes. But other times after a few minutes, the DVD would suddenly start to play. Very strange.

Any thoughts on what is wrong? How do I troubleshoot this problem?

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2017 - 11:11 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Audio/Video Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

My best guess might be an issue with copy protection on the disc. Some movie studios use copy protection for their DVDs. Sometimes VLC does not keep up with such copy protection schemes, I believe, because of licensing reasons. I could be wrong, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users