Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop bsod when connecting western digital my book duo 12TB

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CampNowhere

CampNowhere

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Thanks to the help of users in this forum I was able to recover my files after my western digital my book duo gave my laptop a bsod.

A recap of what my problem is. I had my hd plugged into my laptop but wasn't reading or writing to my drive, all of a sudden my computer bsod and the computer was unable to fix the problem and boot so I had to reinstall windows. The error I get is a generic system_thread_exception_not_handled message with no code or information. And since I can't load windows I am unable to check any logs to see what happened.

I had an old desktop computer laying around that I hooked my drive up to that had both USB 2 and 3.0 ports. I was able to connect my drive to my desktops USB 3 ports and use testdisk to recover my files.

I thought maybe my laptop might be the issue but I tested a wd passport USB 3.0 and my laptop did not give me a bsod. My laptop has 4 USB 3.0 ports and all of them worked fine with my passport drive.

My laptop is a MSI Stealth 70 with windows 10 and the hard drive I am having trouble with is a Wesern Digital My Book Duo 12TB.

My drive is still under warranty so I could get a new one but I've done warranties before and they're always a pain. So I'd like to see if this is just a conflict with my laptop that can be fixed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:16 PM

For reference, here is the thread the original poster was talking about dealing with the drive:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/647697/huge-problem-with-external-hard-drive-please-help-get-my-data-back/

It should be noted that the original poster is in the middle of recovering the data from the drive but has said they can try the drive again with the laptop and then take a picture of the BSOD error message if that is desired.

To me, it is not clear if this is an issue with the drive, the computer hardware, or maybe a Windows and/or driver conflict. Thus, I suggested they post here to see if one of the BSOD experts might have some ideas.

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

Please follow these BSOD posting instructions and attach the requested files by replying to this topic. Please DO NOT create a new topic — there is no need to do so.

Thank you.

Regards,
bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 pantera2049

pantera2049

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:17 AM

hi!

Your hdd is not compatible with your pc. Try connect hdd to another pc.

#5 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:25 AM

Attached is the file from SysnativeFileCollectionApp and PERFMON.  After I got all my data back I attempted to connect my drive back to my laptop and it actually loaded and worked for a few seconds then bsod again.  I tried restoring from a restore point and it said that it failed, but then my computer restarted and said it was successful so I was able to run SysnativeFileCollectionApp after the bsod happened.

Attached Files

#6 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:15 AM

Interesting note, my drive was actually working on my computer for a little over an hour then all of a sudden bsod.  I check the event log and right when it happened I got the following messsage "Disk 3 has the same disk identifiers as one or more disks connected to the system. Go to Microsoft's support website (http://support.microsoft.com) and search for KB2983588 to resolve the issue.

#7 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:59 AM

Good morning, CampNowhere, :)

Only one memory dump in the uploaded reports. If using a Disk Cleanup utility, please stop.

The primary suspects from the dumps file were: asmtxhci.sys and asmthub3.sys. These are both USB drivers, please reinstall them. **DOWNLOAD LINK**

Next, suggest you reinstall your Killer Networking drivers as older version cause BSODs. **DOWNLOAD LINK** We also need to disable its service/startup:

• Download and save Autoruns from here.
• Right-click on Autoruns64.exe, select Run as administrator, and accept any User Account Control prompts.
• Go to Options, and check Hide Empty Locations and Hide Microsoft Entries.
• Wait for a minute or so, then go to the Logon tab. Uncheck Killer Network Manager.Ink It's under the

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

area. You'll have to scroll down. :wink:
• Next, go to the Services tab, and uncheck Killer Service v2.
• Restart your computer. If your internet connection is broken, undo the steps we did above, and reboot. 

Apart from that I have a few other "generic" (but helpful) suggestions:

Good luck!

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#8 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:09 PM

Hi bwv848 thanks for the reply! I downloaded the USB driver and attempted to install them but during the installation it asked me to remove or repair so I guess I had the current version. My killer network software was out of date so I updated that as well as my bios.

After all that I plugged in my drive and it bsod again. One thing I notice is that 3 driver installation notification pop up on the screen, I would think there should only be 2 since there are only 2 drives being loaded. Anyway what's odd to me is that I can load my drive into my old desktop without a bsod in its USB 2.0 & 3.0 ports.

I've contacted western digital and they are sending me a replacement drive which will arrive in 3-5 days. Once I receive that I'm going to plug it in to my laptop and see if it bsod my computer again.

Now if the new drive does give my computer a bsod, but my 3 other western digital passport drives work correctly, what would the issue be?

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:05 PM

Hi bwv848 thanks for the reply! I downloaded the USB driver and attempted to install them but during the installation it asked me to remove or repair so I guess I had the current version.

You might go ahead and try remove the currently installed drivers and then install the newly downloaded ones.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:31 PM

Hi, CampNowhere, :)

As smax013 says, please uninstall the old USB drivers from your system and install the new ones. It doesn't matter whether if they're older than your current ones.
When that is done, does your computer still BSOD?

Best regards,

bwv848

#11 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:39 PM

Update: sorry for the long delay, I received my replacement and copied all my data to the new drive. The new drive worked great for a few days in my laptop, then got another bsod.

I'm beginning to think there is an issue with the drive being in JBOD. When the drive did work sometimes the drives would not show up at all, I'd unplug the drive for a few minutes then plug it back in and it shows up, then gives me a bsod.

I've reformatted the drive to raid 0 and I do not get any errors when using the drive.

I'm just at a loss as this point, it's been very frustrating.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:52 PM

Mind if you zip up the contents of C:\windows\minidump? :)

#13 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:44 PM

Here you go

Attached Files

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,027 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

Hi, CampNowhere, :)

As you can see in my signature, I'll be on vacation for a month starting tomorrow. With that said, my friend will be taking over this topic. :wink:

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,
bwv848

P.S. While you're waiting, are your USB ports physically damaged and did you update your Western Digital drivers (if any)? :)

#15 CampNowhere

CampNowhere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for the help!

I do not believe the ports are damaged because I can plug in other USB 3.0 devices into all of them and they work, it's only the my book duo that has the problem.

I used the drives that come with the ny book duo and also download the western digital drive utilities that comes with the SES driver.

I did contact western digital, they said they've never heard of this issue but recommended I write all 0's to my drive to erase any errors that may be in the drive. I'm in the process of copying my data to another disc to give it a try.

I'm at the point where I think it's an issue with 2 physical drives inside an enclosure, maybe the controller inside the enclosure is causing this issue. I don't know. If I can't get this to work I'm going to just sell the damn drive and buy 2 seperate 8tb drives

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users