Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Issues with large crowd

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 uatuba

uatuba

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:22 PM

Hello all...I'm new to the forum, as I usually research and find solutions to whatever issue I'm having without having to bother anyone. However, I'm genuinely stumped here.

Here's my need:

Private wireless network for remote operation of various hardware and software applications. Some examples include VirtualDJ (controlled via VirtualDJ Remote from an iDevice), the Behringer X-Air mixer, VNC Client, and so on. I have used a NUMBER of single and dual band wireless routers in an attempt to correct the issues I'm experiencing, but nothing has worked. 

When I test the equipment before everyone arrives, everything works flawlessly. I adjust the controls at ridiculous rate, just to make sure everything works well and it isn't a software issue. As soon as the crowds of a couple thousand people show up (football stadium, gymnasium, auditorium, etc.), the Wifi connection itself becomes intermittent, and data transfer between devices slows considerably or drops altogether.

No one else is connected to this wireless network--there are NO channel conflicts unless people are sitting in the audience with their hotspots turned on (and in this part of the country, I seriously doubt that). Is the issue being caused because so many phones are being sent the SSID? I've tried high-end and cheapo routers, and it seems as though the issue is prevalent, regardless.

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:09 PM

Hello

How do you connect the equipment together?

Does all of it have a built in wifi that you connect to your router, or do you have to have boxes connected to each item that then talks to the router?

tfn

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

Is it possible that the crowd is actually absorbing or blocking your signals, just the number of bodies present ?

I had a somewhat similar experience once. A Bridge Club I am a member of acquired electronic scoring equipment. A small unit on each table transmits the details to a receiver unit connected by USB to a laptop. The first night we used it one of the tables had a problem transmitting the data which I resolved by raising the position of the receiver unit. All that was in the room were 7 tables and 28 people and chairs !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 uatuba

uatuba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

Hello

How do you connect the equipment together?

Does all of it have a built in wifi that you connect to your router, or do you have to have boxes connected to each item that then talks to the router?

tfn

I'm using the built in wifi card on a MacBook and IPad to communicate with a mixer that is connected via Ethernet cable to the wireless router.

This happens even with me sitting directly next to the wireless router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users