Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell E6420 laptops bricking after last Win 10 Pro update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LacerdaPC

LacerdaPC

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

I have two identical Dell E6420 laptops that I have upgraded to Windows 10.  After the upgrade I put a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro and everything worked great.  Until I wen through and ran all of the updates.  

Made it fine through the 1607 update.  But I believe it is the last big developer update that took them out.

Before the final install I made sure to update the Bios to the A24 to make sure that was not the issue.

Any ideas on were to look next?

Thanks for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,791 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:01 PM

Were I you I would definitely touch base with Dell support about this.  I'm suspecting that they didn't patch something that needed patching and that you'll be far from the only person with this issue.

Instant bricking on identical machines suggests something very specific to them.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,606 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:07 PM

When you say bricked, you mean no power on, no post, nothing?

#4 LacerdaPC

LacerdaPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

Powers up and goes through the Dell start up screen.  Screen stays black after that.  Power is definitely on though.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,606 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:36 PM

If you follow this procedure do you get the Advanced Boot Options Screen?

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#6 LacerdaPC

LacerdaPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

Yeah, I have tried running it through the troubleshoot options. Keeps coming up unable to fix.

Even though these run very well on Windows 10.  I may just have to put them back to Win 7 Pro.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,606 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:13 PM

You can try manually repairing he bootloader. Option 2. Advanced Boot Options > Command Prompt. 

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN300987/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-on-a-gpt-hdd-for-windows-7--8--81-and-10-on-your-dell-pc?lang=EN

#8 opera

opera

• Members
  • 981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:02 AM

Listed as not tested and drivers not updated for November 1607 update

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN302709/computers-tested-for-windows-10-and-windows-10-november-update?lang=EN#Latitude

Nor is it listed as tested or drivers updated for the Creators build

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN297954/computers-tested-for-upgrade-to-windows-10-creators-update?lang=EN#Latitude

#9 LacerdaPC

LacerdaPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:49 PM

Neither are the 100's of others I have updated.  I do not believe at this point that they test anything for the upgrades anymore.

I have decided to back these up to win 7 pro.  There is definitely something that I have not figured out yet.

Thanks for the help people.  Let me know if you think of anything else. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users