Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really odd problem, exe files and program files deleting themselves!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Novum-Semita

Novum-Semita

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:29 PM

Hello,

I have a very strange problem indeed. On my desktop certain programs have changed their icons to the standard icon picture. When clicked on they say the item this shortcut refers to has been either changed or moved. I have not deleted any files to the best of my knowledge. When I go to the target location indicated in the shortcut properties the files and folders are, indeed, not there. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to what programs are effected and what aren't. Some are game files, others are utilities software such as Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel. I fear it may be a virus or malware so I've run a scan using Malwarebytes both in normal and safe mode and a scan using Windows Defender but so far I've come up with nothing. Here are my system specs:

Edition: Windows 10 Home

Version: 1607

OS Build: 14393.1198

Product ID: 00325-95943-90030-AAOEM

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60 GHz

RAM 16.0 Gb (15.9Gb useable)

System type: 64 bit, x64 processor

I'm hoping someone can help. I'm worried it might delete something important next.

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 27 May 2017 - 05:10 PM.
Moved from Win 10 to 'Am I infected?'

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

Any cache/computer cleaning software installed?
Download & run Adwcleaner, MalwareBytes & Eset online scanner to rule out anything which defender may have missed.
MBAM: https://www.malwarebytes.com/
Eset: http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
Adwcleaner: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner

#3 Novum-Semita

Novum-Semita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:41 PM

Yeah, I've got CCleaner installed. Might that have something to do with it? An example of one of the occurrences was that I installed a video game called Spore from disc yesterday. Played it fine for a few hours. Logged off the computer last night. When I logged on this morning the files for it had been deleted and I don't believe CCleaner was run during that time.

I'm just waiting on Eset and Adwcleaner doing their scans. I've already scanned with Malwarebytes both in normal and safe mode but they didn't find anything. I really appreciate your help and hopefully I'll be able to either find these files again or at least the cause of them going missing so I can prevent it in future. 

#4 Novum-Semita

Novum-Semita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:46 AM

Any cache/computer cleaning software installed?
Download & run Adwcleaner, MalwareBytes & Eset online scanner to rule out anything which defender may have missed.
MBAM: https://www.malwarebytes.com/
Eset: http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/
Adwcleaner: https://toolslib.net/downloads/viewdownload/1-adwcleaner

Well, I've run the three scans now. Eset came up clear, Malwarebytes came up clear yesterday but today the scan picked up some items, most of which were linked to a program I got in before to try and fix this program called Reimage. But this program was used after the files started disappearing. Adwcleaner also picked up on the Reimage files but there were a couple of files I didn't recognise as necessarily being apart of the files left behind after Reimage was uninstalled. Here is one of the folders I don't recognise but when I investigated the subfolders inside it lead to some empty dell driver folders: C:\ProgramData\2c84195e-8d9d-465f-ab97-ae4f44696951

I've found a pattern that mostly fits for the files and folders deleted. Twenty programs are effected. 18 of them are located in the D drive in the program files and program files (x86) folders. One is located in the system 32 folder (Intel® HD Graphics Control Panel) and one is in the downloads folder on the D drive.

#5 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:22 AM

CCleaner should be fine. I've known other cleaners (JV16 powertools) to remove or corrupt programs.
Is it possible the programs have reinstalled themselves to the C drive? That would explain why the shortcuts no longer work. I ask as I'm sure during install of some programs I've been told that it must be installed on the C drive.

#6 Novum-Semita

Novum-Semita
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:05 AM

CCleaner should be fine. I've known other cleaners (JV16 powertools) to remove or corrupt programs.
Is it possible the programs have reinstalled themselves to the C drive? That would explain why the shortcuts no longer work. I ask as I'm sure during install of some programs I've been told that it must be installed on the C drive.

Ahhh, okay. And no, they haven't reinstalled to the C drive. I just had a quick search for them. The strange thing is the missing programs still show up in the add and remove programs section of the control panel and in the start up menu folder on the C drive yet I can't open them from there either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users