Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden BSOD and computer-crashing I/O errors

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lMarcusl

lMarcusl

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:14 PM

Hi,

in the last few days I've run into two BSODs, and numerous random I/O errors tied to various applications that run in the background (explorer.exe, jusched.exe, it seems to be something different every time). These errors are then invariably followed by a crash and restart. I've been trying to poinpoint exactly what might be causing these but so far no luck. I'm starting to suspect the motherboard but it might also be memory, drivers, HDD...I'm at a loss. I'm enclosing the required files. As for HW and SW information, my system is retail Win 7 x64, about 4 years old (both HW and OS install), with Intel Core i5-4460 CPU, motherboard ASUS B85-PLUS, NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 GPU, 8GB Kingston 1600MhZ DDR3 memory and WD Blue 10EZEX 1TB HDD.

Now a bit of background on how this all started though I'm not quite sure to what extent it might all be related. I've been having some trouble for a while now with my mouse. It frequently double clicks when I single click and it really gets annoying seeing as I both work on my PC for a living and am an avid gamer. As far as I can tell it works fine on other PCs. I've let the issue be since I couldn't find any useful info on how to fix this. The driver claimed to be functioning fine and up-to-date. Finally a few days ago I decided that maybe reinstalling the driver might work. Since the mouse did not come with a driver however, I decided to simply uninstall the one it had, unplug the mouse and plug it in again to force a reinstall. Not 10 minutes after I did that, my computer blue screened. After that little shocker I got back into Windows, proceeded with my work as usual until the above mentioned "unable to access memory due to I/O error" messages appeared and crashed my computer again. Sometimes multiples popped up one after another before a restart occurred. Each time the error occurred all icons and the Start panel disappeared, and restarting was sluggish and had the windows stuck on a black screen for a while before it booted up. After about two more restarts, the errors started appearing right after the Welcome screen in Windows, i.e. I couldn't even get into Windows anymore. I went into Safe Mode and tried to do a system restore to a restore point 2 days prior. Restore completed, I/O errors were still there after restart.

Since I still had work to do I went into Safe Mode, where I sat for about 3 hours without problem finishing up what I needed, and backing up my critical files on an external drive. After that I decided to start trying to deal with the issue a bit more. I got into Windows first try and started a defrag, during which windows crashed again due to I/O error so I decided to try and scan the disc for errors first. The process completed fine, unfortunately the final screen flashed through so fast I didn't have enough time to check whether anything got fixed. After that I got into windows, did a defrag on the system drive (C: drive, the drive is partitioned into 2, C: for the system, D: for games and other larger programmes) which took about an hour and a half. No crashes. During the process I checked Device Manager and noticed an unknown device with a warning sign next to it. After checking around I determined it had the code of my motherboard. I popped in the CD that came in with the motherboard and reinstalled its driver. Missing device disappeared, no warning indicators on any HW in Device Manager. Everything seemed to be holding fine without further crashes since the Scan Disc.

The next day, based on a friend's recommendation to run a HW testing tool, I tried the Hot CPU Tester (trial version) which I found highly recommended on a couple of sites. The trial version does not test the chipset (and the program is about 10 years old apparently so who knows how reliable it is for modern HW) but it ran a full 6 hour stress test on my memory, CPU and hard drive. The computer was barely able to do anything else during that due to how much stress the programme put on the system, so the programme seemed to be doing its job. No crashes, no errors found. I also ran a full scan on my PC with AVG, and aside from the occasional Trojan, nothing that could explain such crashes was found. AVG notoriously tends to detect some cracks and mods as Trojans where other anti-virus programmes pass them just fine but I had AVG remove them anyway just to be sure (to be clear, since I know it is against your forum guidelines, I crack basically every game I own that requires a CD in the drive cause I've had CD/DVD drives die out on me or damage original CDs often in the past). Except for one strange instance when I started the computer and my keyboard refused to work (indicators for NumLock etc. were on but I couldn't write anything, shortcuts didn't work) until I replugged it, everything seemed to be working perfectly for over 36 hours, until about an hour ago when I got another BSOD, followed by a sluggish restart and another I/O error crash. Seeing as I'm no closer to determining which part of my HW or SW might be failing than I was before, I now turn to you for any help you can offer in finding out why my system is going belly up :( Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Attached Files

Edited by lMarcusl, 27 May 2017 - 04:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pantera2049

pantera2049

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:23 AM

hi!

Posible malware infections.

many apps and services in background.

try to scan you pc with a good antimalware soft.

#3 lMarcusl

lMarcusl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:27 AM

What programme would you recommend, then? I have AVG and firewall active and on all the time and don't usually browse unsafe sites for this to be a likely cause of such sudden change in system stability, but I'm open to suggestions.

#4 lMarcusl

lMarcusl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 07:10 AM

So today I ran my computer through with an ESET Online Scanner. It found some .hacktools.BQ and .EN, OpenCandy, InstallCore etc. Most of them were related to .iso images for games I own and just crack for convenience. Removed or uninstalled all the applications and files concerned just to be sure, so we'll see what it does. However, all of the files and apps concerned were on my drive for quite a long time without any instability until now.

I've run into another BSOD and a couple of I/O crashes once again yesterday so the system is still pretty shaky to say the least and I'm no closer to finding out why. You mentioned that I have a lot of services running in the background but I'm no wiser from looking through the list, there is a lot there but I have no clue what they do. I did look through all my installed programmes (at least those that show up in the list of software) and found nothing that does not belong there, all the applications are programmes or utilities that I knowingly installed, no toolbars or such shady garbage.

Any help please? These crashes are seriously interfering with my ability to safely work on the PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users