Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Defragmenter won't defrag no matter what

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 miba54

miba54

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:52 PM

Hi. I use Windows 7 64-bit.

For a couple of months now, whenever I try to defrag my hard drive with Windows' own Disk Defragmenter, it won't defrag it. It starts and runs, it goes on for 34 passes, but when it finishes, it still reads "18% fragmented". I re-analyze the disk after it finishes, it again reads "18% fragmented."

It used to work. When it finished defragging, it would read "0% fragmented". But now, it won't defrag no matter what.

Can this be solved or is it because those partitions of the drive are gone for good? I must admit that the drive is around 6 years old.

And before anybody asks, no, I'm not trying to defrag the System Reserved partition.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

defrag is over rated....it won't help much anyway,

try running it in safe mode if you really want to, or try a third party defrag program like deraggler

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:51 PM

Hi,

Do you have plenty of free space on the drive?

Microsoft recommendation is 15%

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:55 AM

defrag is over rated....it won't help much anyway,

try running it in safe mode if you really want to, or try a third party defrag program like deraggler

Wrong.  Fragmentation on a HD that has too-little free space can bring the whole system to a CRAWL.  Plus the fact that a basic function like defrag won't run means there's a serious problem.

Hi,

Do you have plenty of free space on the drive?

Microsoft recommendation is 15%

I think 15% is way to low.  I'd want something like 30% free space as a minimum.

#5 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:50 PM

are you refering to the windows version that comes with the OS?  or an app that you installed?

#6 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 10:53 PM

If your not sure or dont understand post a snip of your disk management window
Start>diskmgmt.msc

#7 miba54

miba54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:07 AM

Thanks everyone.

are you refering to the windows version that comes with the OS?  or an app that you installed?

I thought I made that pretty clear when I said "Windows' own Disk Defragmenter".

Edited by miba54, 31 May 2017 - 06:07 AM.

#8 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

ok use this:   http://ultradefrag.sourceforge.net/en/index.html

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:40 AM

For What It's Worth

Conclusions are at the bottom of the webpage.

Louis

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:22 AM

Arron_Warrior posted...

I think 15% is way to low.  I'd want something like 30% free space as a minimum.

You need to qualify that statement.

Back when hdds were considerably smaller that 15% figure may have been accurate for the average user, but it is  unrealistic with the larger hdds/ssds being used currently.  15% of 1TB equals 100000 MB, or 1000 GB.  30%... I don't need to even go there. :hysterical:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:42 AM

15% is the value that can be found on some Microsoft articles, this value is probably from the Windows XP era.

In a search found this, more realistic in my opinion...

Free hard disk space

Drives without any free disk space cannot be defragmented. For the best possible results, at least 5% of the whole hard disk capacity should be free. Files larger than the maximum free and connected storage space, may not be possible to defragment, and if so only with several runs.

To accelerate defragmentation, we recommend reserving at least 10-15% free hard disk space, however, this percentage decreases the higher the hard disk size is. What really matters is the size of the largest file that needs to be defragmented or moved around. For an optimal defragmentation, the file should have enough connected storage space available.

Source: https://docs.oo-software.com/en/oodefrag17/technical-information/free-space-needed-for-defragmentation

Edited by SleepyDude, 31 May 2017 - 09:42 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#12 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:20 AM

Arron_Warrior posted...

You need to qualify that statement.

Back when hdds were considerably smaller that 15% figure may have been accurate for the average user, but it is  unrealistic with the larger hdds/ssds being used currently.  15% of 1TB equals 100000 MB, or 1000 GB.  30%... I don't need to even go there. :hysterical:

You're right.  In my mind 80 Gbyte is still average.  Even though I have a 2 Tbyte drive now.  This is one of the "down sides" of being "old school".

Edited by Aaron_Warrior, 31 May 2017 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users