Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTX 970 SLI issues - black screens and uncontrollable fans

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 unusualcrow

unusualcrow

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:52 PM

I recently upgraded from one GTX 970 to two of them with SLI. Now, occasionally my screen will go dark for around 10 seconds. This never happened prior to the upgrade.

This generally occurs with a GPU load from vds.exe. Usually temperatures are pretty high when this happens (70 C), but after leaving my fans at 100% manually, this happened at only around 50 C.

It has also occurred when my displays first turned on after a long period of inactivity (normally they come on within 2 seconds, but now they seem to flicker a bit between grey and complete darkness for 10 seconds before coming on, just like what happens while I'm using my PC.)

This also seems to always happen when I watch videos for some reason.

So not only am I getting these black screens, but my fans are not spinning enough to really keep the temperature under control. I don't know for sure what safe temperatures are for my GPUs but around 70 C seems pretty high. I've looked in my BIOS and the only things I see that could possibly be the GPU fans are labeled as "system fans" and they stay at 0 RPM no matter how much I tamper with their controls. The fans DO turn on when the GPU gets pretty toasty, but they only go to around 60% at the most and the temperatures stay fairly high.

Stuff I've tried: Upgrading to latest BIOS, clean install of latest GPU drivers.

So my main questions here are: How can I properly control my GPU fans, and what might be causing the black screen issue? Thermal throttling, SLI instability, or something else? I would be very grateful for any help with this. I've posted this issue in multiple other places and so far nobody has even replied.

Some statistics:

http://i.imgur.com/lgyNax0.png

GPU 100% spike is due to firefox.exe (this is where the GPU hit around 70 C) and the 40% usage is due to vds.exe (which still caused some fairly high temperatures - again I'm not totally sure on what is considered normal.)

System specs:

GPU: GTX 970 (2x, SLI)

CPU: i5 4690K, not overclocked

Motherboard: Z97-G45, BIOS version 2.9

RAM: G.SKILL, 4x 4GB sticks, no overclock

PSU: Rosewill 750W Gold Certified

Operating System & Version: Windows 10 x64 from upgrade, version 1607 (OS build 14393.969)

GPU Drivers: GeForce 382.33 (latest), clean install

Monitors: 2 ASUS 1920x1080 monitors, perfectly working, both plugged into one card.

Edited by unusualcrow, 27 May 2017 - 02:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users