Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Crazy HP printing problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 gyrene

gyrene

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

Gateway zx6971 computer with Win7.  HP photosmart 5520 and HP photosmart 7520.  I can print to both if it is in color but neither will print black text.  I have replaced the black (564xl) cartridges on both with new ones, same result.  Diagnostics run shows no problems. Estimated ink levels show full.  I have cleaned print heads and deep cleaned print heads.  When I print the quality Diagnostic page everything looks good except the black box is empty (on the 7520 the photo black box is black).

Both HP printers are doing this but when I print to my wife's Epson xp-810 everything is fine.  BTW, all three printers are on wireless.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gyrene

gyrene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

OH, this problem just started a few days ago, up until then both printers worked just fine.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

When I print the quality Diagnostic page everything looks good except the black box is empty (on the 7520 the photo black box is black).

Are you initiating this from the printer's control panel on the printer itself? Or by way of the print driver on the computer?

If it is the former, then that does suggest there is some issue with the printer itself (assuming what I am interpreting the same thing when you say "quality Diagnostic page" that you are intending).

#4 gyrene

gyrene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:36 AM

Same result with Print Diagnostic Page from the computer and from the printer control panel.  Won't print black when I use them as a copier either.  

If I print a text document with printer setting of "Best" it prints a light gray, at "Normal" there is only a faint gray every few lines.  

As improbably as it feels, I begin to think all three (new) HP ink cartridges I have tried are bad. 

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

Same result with Print Diagnostic Page from the computer and from the printer control panel.  Won't print black when I use them as a copier either.  
  If I print a text document with printer setting of "Best" it prints a light gray, at "Normal" there is only a faint gray every few lines.  
As improbably as it feels, I begin to think all three (new) HP ink cartridges I have tried are bad.

That is odd.

I agree it is improbable that you got multiple bad ink cartridges, but you never know. It is also improbable that you would have TWO HP printers appear to have problems with the printer itself that is not somehow software related, but more likely hardware related...and what seems like the same hardware related problem.

If you want to test you bad ink cartridge theory, you could go buy another one...but go to a different store. Maybe it is a bad lot that go shipped to one store. When you say new, did you just buy them? Or have they been sitting around as spare cartridges for a while (i.e. months if not years)? What was the "expiration" date on the carton for the cartridges? At one point, some companies actually upgraded firmware of printers so that they would not use expired cartridges. I believe most stopped doing that after blowback from consumers (i.e. people what to have a spare sitting there so that they don't have to wait to go to a store to keep printing if their cartridge ran out...and then got pissed with they put in a new cartridge that had expired and did not work or would only work for a few months since it had been sitting there unused for a while).

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:21 PM

I saw this fault appear on a network printer and it was found that WINX had a bad driver.  I haven't seen it on any WIN7 or 8.

#7 gyrene

gyrene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 05:51 AM

All three cartridges were purchased within the past month.  

#8 gyrene

gyrene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 06:25 AM

Ugh..to double cross-check I took the cartridges from to 7520 and put them in the 5520.  Now I can't put them back because the 5520 "protected" them and they won't work in any other printer. :smash:

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 12:39 PM

I don't put it beyond HP to pull that trick.  I have somewhat the same thing with a pair of HP 1510 AIO units.  Cartridges installed in one can't be swapped to the other.  I have found that they may have a small capacitor inside that holds a minimal charge to characterized the cartridge, kind of like its own BIOS.  I rubbed foil across the contacts and was able to swap.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:55 PM

I saw this fault appear on a network printer and it was found that WINX had a bad driver.  I haven't seen it on any WIN7 or 8.

If it was a driver issue, then I would not think that initiating the report from the face of the printer (i.e. doing it without touching the computer) would not produce the problem. When you initiate the report from the printer itself (as opposed to in Windows), then it should have nothing to do with the Windows driver.

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 11:16 AM

Every bit that goes to the printer has to pass through the operating system to know how to handle the data, route it to the proper port and shake hands with the device before sending any data.

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

Every bit that goes to the printer has to pass through the operating system to know how to handle the data, route it to the proper port and shake hands with the device before sending any data.

Not true.

Most printers have either test pages or reports that are purely firmware based and can be initiated from the control panel or buttons on the printer even when the printer is not connected to anything other than power. These reports will show things like "supply status" (i.e. ink or toner levels), configuration (network settings if a network printer, memory amount, lifetime page print counts, etc), alignment checks (for inkjets), clean printheads (for inkjets), or just a general test page. Most of these types of tests/reports CAN also be initiated with the printer drive on a computer, but it is no necessary.

All four of my current printers can print tests/reports while not connected to anything other than power. This includes my roughly two decade old HP LaserJet 6MP laser printer. But it is true of both my newer LaserJet and both my inkjet printers (both are all-in-ones). For the old 6MP that does not have a display panel or any sort of menu structure, it is done purely by pushing combinations of the two buttons for the printer. For my other three printers, they have a display panels with a menu structure and a number of buttons to navigate the menu.

#13 gyrene

gyrene
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

Well, I purchased another black cartridge, this time directly from HP.  And I still have the same problem on both the 7520 and 5520 units.  I can confidently say it is not caused by bad cartridges since this makes 4 new ones I have tried. I've had my computer checked for malware and it is clean.  I tried printing from a friends laptop which is Win8 and got the same result. I totally give up.  Since my wife's Epson has no problems printing normally I am simply going to junk the HPs I have and get an Epson or some other manufacturer.

#14 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:25 PM

How old are the two HP printers? Still under warranty?

#15 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,767 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

I don't know if this correlates or not but After a WIN7 update, the scanner  portion of an HP 1500 AIO unit would not scan in black and white.  I had to set the scanner for color to get a good scan and then change it to B/W when printing.  It was caused by an OS update that wasn't right.  A restore to the week before and downloading/updating the suspect update again cleared the fault.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users