Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which Which USB flash drives work best when using Media Creation Tool?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 sportsfan1

sportsfan1

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:56 AM

Hi,

Ive used Rufus successfully before to create Bootable USB Flash Drive Windows 10 Installation Media. This time I wanted to do a clean installation and cut out the need for Third Party Rufus by just using the Windows Media Creation Tool to create my bootable USB flash drive. My flash drive is a Sandisk Ultra 16gb SDCZ40 model that I bought a while ago. Having read online about people having problems with flash drives including Sandisk..I contacted Sandisk Tech Support..whose advice was useless!! They told me they don't recommend anybody to use a USB flash drive for Windows installations. People should always use SSD drives according to them!! They told me it might work..might not...they say they aren't tested for Windows installation usage only for file storage!! Anyway..Ive created the USB flash drive this morning using the Windows Media Creation Tool. Everything seemed to go without any problems. Ive tested it by rebooting then F12 and the Sandisk Ultra is there. I'm going to try the clean installation as soon as I get chance. Has anyone else used the Sandisk Ultra 16gb USB flash drive successfully? Am I likely to have any problems with this flash drive?

Ive always been happy with Sandisk until I spoke to them yesterday. If I decide to use another USB flash drive brand in the future...which USB flash drives work well with the Windows Media Creation Tool?
Anybodys feedback here would be much appreciated..Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:14 AM

The Media Creation Tool downloads a ISO file which you use to create the installation.  If you are going to use a flash drive for the installation media you will need a program like Rufus to load the media to the flash drive.  You can do a fresh installation using this method.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

I think sandisk misunderstood you as you can use any flash drive to do this with, you just cant run windows from flash drives.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:25 AM

The Media Creation Tool also gives options to create a DVD or USB flash drive.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Any flash drive 8GB or larger should be fine. The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is some older Sandisk drives show themselves to Windows as a hard disk (local disk) and not as a removable drive. The only tool I know of that can create a bootable USB flash drive that acts like a hard drive is Rufus. Perhaps the Media Creation Tool only runs if you have a flash drive that is showing as removable disk. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/USB-Flash-Drive-showing-up-as-LOCAL-DISK/td-p/309565

If Sandisk was referring to using a SSD for install media that sounds crazy.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 May 2017 - 10:25 AM.

#5 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:31 AM

The Media Creation Tool downloads a ISO file which you use to create the installation.  If you are going to use a flash drive for the installation media you will need a program like Rufus to load the media to the flash drive.  You can do a fresh installation using this method.

The Windows Media Creation Tool gives you two choices The second option is to download an ISO file (where you can then use Rufus or use DVD method instead) but the first option listed above it is to allow the Media Creation Tool to create the USB Flash Drive. I chose to let the Media Creation Tool create the bootable USB Flash drive to avoid using Rufus this time. That's why Ive asked my question about flash drives

#6 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:35 AM

I think sandisk misunderstood you as you can use any flash drive to do this with, you just cant run windows from flash drives.

Yeah..you could be right. It might explain some of the Technicians answers. Have you ever used the Windows Media Creation Tool on its own (by selecting the USB Flash Drive option as Media instead of the ISO option) to create the Bootable USB flash drive (without using Rufus or Diskpart)

#7 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Any flash drive 8GB or larger should be fine. The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is some older Sandisk drives show themselves to Windows as a hard disk (local disk) and not as a removable drive. The only tool I know of that can create a bootable USB flash drive that acts like a hard drive is Rufus. Perhaps the Media Creation Tool only runs if you have a flash drive that is showing as removable disk. 

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/USB-Flash-Drive-showing-up-as-LOCAL-DISK/td-p/309565

Hi John, Ive just read that sandisk forum link. Thanks for that. That's brought up a question. I formatted the sandisk ultra myself first using the windows own format right click on the drive method. Under My computer/This PC on Windows 10 the flash drive had the same icon as my C: drive local disc. After creating my bootable USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool stand alone method (no Rufus or Diskpart) that icon is now a Computer screen with a green forward pointing arrow on it. The flash drive drive properties just says USB drive. When I go into Disc Management though the flash drive is showing as a removable drive. What do you think?. Is my flash drive being seen as a Local disc/hard drive or as a Removable drive like it shows under Disc Management? The safely Remove drive icon is available on the taskbar when the USB flash drive is inserted..I don't know if that is anything to go by though 

Edited by sportsfan1, 27 May 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 11:39 AM

I would say Windows sees the drive as Removable if that is how it's detected in Disk Management which is kind of strange. I never heard of a Sandisk USB going from local to removable.

See this link on how to determine if a drive is local or removable.

https://superuser.com/questions/109389/how-can-i-tell-if-windows-thinks-a-hdd-is-removable-without-a-gui

#9 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:03 PM

I would say Windows sees the drive as Removable if that is how it's detected in Disk Management which is kind of strange. I never heard of a Sandisk USB going from local to removable.

See this link on how to determine if a drive is local or removable.

https://superuser.com/questions/109389/how-can-i-tell-if-windows-thinks-a-hdd-is-removable-without-a-gui

It was weird. It was immediately after I formatted the USB flash drive to completely clear all files on it...that  was when the icon on the drive in My Computer/This PC changed to the same icon as my local disc (without the Microsoft Windows logo on it). When I ran checkdisk on the USB flash drive to check for any drive errors a couple of minutes later the local disc icon changed to what looks like a blue PC screen with a forward pointing green arrow on it. I'm guessing that is the Windows 10 icon for a removable drive...am I correct in that assumption John?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:23 PM

I don't have experience with Windows 10 but I have never seen that icon before. Hopefully somebody with Windows 10 experience can post their experience.

Edit: I think this is the standard icon Microsoft uses for Windows 10 install.

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 May 2017 - 12:28 PM.

#11 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:37 PM

I don't have experience with Windows 10 but I have never seen that icon before. Hopefully somebody with Windows 10 experience can post their experience.

Edit: I think this is the standard icon Microsoft uses for Windows 10 install.

Yes it changed from the local disc icon to that thumbnail image with the blue screen with the forward pointing green arrow  but without the shield on it. The flash drive was empty as Id just formatted it in Windows

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:50 PM

Can you post an image of this icon?

Are you running Norton 360?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#13 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:57 PM

Can you post an image of this icon?

Are you running Norton 360?

It is shown in JohnC's message above. He's posted a thumbnail of it. Its the same except without the shield just a blue PC screen with a forward pointing green arrow. No..im not running Norton. I'm running McAfee Internet Security.

#14 sportsfan1

sportsfan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:34 AM

Hi John. Out of curiosity I contacted Sandisk customer support again thinking that they might have got confused and thought that I may be wanting to run Windows 10 from the USB flash drive instead of my intended use which is to create bootable Windows 10 installation media. There answer was exactly the same. They don't recommend using a Removable USB flash drive as a bootable drive at all. They again sent me the link to their SSD drives. Like you I think this is absolutely unbelievable. Microsoft recommends a USB flash drive for creating installation media with its Media Creation Tool. All over the internet there are Tutorials/guides explaining how to create Windows 10 installation media with a USB flash drive. There are other tutorials other methods ...explaining how to do it with Rufus or Diskpart ...all with a USB flash drive. I explained this to the Sandisk technician..whose standard answer was its an untested and not recommended method...she again pointed me to the SSD link. I really cant understand her reasoning at all. Whats your opinion?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:56 AM

That is crazy. As them why is it Microsoft provides install media in both DVD and USB flash drive format. Nobody installs Windows from an SSD. I would ask them how they intend to make the SSD bootable. Did you specifically say Run and not Install? If you said Run then I can see where Sandisk may have thought you meant running off of a SSD and not installing from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users