Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two O.s. On One Computer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rayandmaura

rayandmaura

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 03:10 PM

Im running XP home and have plenty of space. I have heard about having multible O.S. on one computer and wish I knew how to do it.Could I creat another partition from some of the space on the partition im using for XP now? I meanI wanna keep what I have now but add a second XP OS without messing anything up! What id like to do is if possible is have another copy of XP on a seperate partition and some how back up all of files hardware etc to the second XP OS. Is that at all possible? and if so could anyone please help me to better understand how to do this? As you can probley tell im new to the whole computer thing and hope i dont sound to silly..

Thank You.......

RAY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 06:38 PM

What you are talking about is known as multi-booting.

Yes, it is possible.

How to create a multiple-boot system in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...Ben-us%3B306559

#3 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 08 September 2006 - 08:29 PM

Thank you for your help , and if possible I have a few questions does that article mean i can install 2 XP OS on one computer or does it mean only XP over an older version like 98 or something ? and would i lose any thing on the xp I already have installed ?Im pretty sure I have ntfs file system and really am not sure about the whole must install ms- dos thing as i am pretty new at this. I think id probley need a better tutorial than the microft one as that is all greek to me. could i just put the XP disk in the cd drive, reformat my drive to take back some of the space ( as ive allocated ALL space to the current Xp OS im using ) without messing any thing up and add a second XP. thanx again for all suggestions ..........

RAY

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:44 PM

You can install two copies of XP but usually you would usually install one ap of XP and one of a different op system like Windows 98, ME, Windows 2000 or one of the distributions of Linux.

You could loose what you had installed if you are not careful in creating additional partitions on which to install the additional op systems so make sure you backup all your data first and have the capability to reinstall XP should the need arise.

I would suggest Partition Magic or some other partition manager and that you become proficient in its use before attempting to create additional partitions on your hard drive.

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 September 2006 - 02:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users