Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crazy Printer Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 johnkromka

johnkromka

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:12 AM

I have a crazy printer problem I cannot seem to resolve.  I have a printer.  I connect it to one computer and it loads and prints fine.  I disconnect it and connect it to another computer, it "appears" to load, but then it says "driver is unavailable".  How can this be if it printed on the other computer?  The printer MUST have the driver.  The problem appears to be in the settings of my computer in the printer section is my best guess(the one where it says 'driver is unavailable').  The computer where it doesn't print even has the printer listed in the Device Manager and it says it is working properly, and in the driver section even lists the driver, etc.  Also in the print box where it says 'select printer' the printer is not listed! Makes no sense to me.  In the print box of the computer that prints it IS there.  That is all I can tell you.  Maybe someone can make some sense out of this insanity, and get this printer to print on the other computer.  Please help. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:50 AM

Printer drivers are not stored on the printer - so the printer does NOT "have the driver".

Printer drivers are installed on the computer connected to the printer. They may be installed by the user from a disk supplied with the printer by the printer manufacturer or from a file downloaded from the printer manufacturer's website. For some printers, if the computer is connected to the internet, the operating system will find a suitable driver by itself.

So your problem seems fairly simple - you have a computer that has the correct printer driver installed & that machine can therefore print. Your other machine does not have the correct printer driver installed (as it is actually telling you) so it cannot communicate correctly with the printer & so it cannot print.

So almost certainly all you need is to find the correct printer driver for your printer & computer operating system & install it.

#3 johnkromka

johnkromka
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:48 AM

Sorry...the computer is HP 2000 Notebook PC, Windows 10. The printer is HP psc 1200 all in one series.  I am sorry I misunderstood this, but still need some guidance.  I found the appropriate driver for the printer on the HP website.  There was no download button, so all I could think to do was right click,, save target as, and I checked and it appears to have gone to my Downloads folder.  I tried to upload the file here but it wouldn't allow it because it said it didn't have an allowed extension.  It is an HTM file, size 294kb.  The file name is EXTREMELY long, 3 lines of numbers and letters.  Here is the first line: 04_Sj9cPyKssy0xPLMnMz0vMAFGjzOJ9DTwNjLzcDbwtwrxMDRwdHf2m3TyD.  Does that look like a driver?  I tried to install it from the HP site but I couldn't figure it out.  I feel like such an idiot.  This is probably so simple, I am sorry.  I believe I have the driver downloaded.  Now I need the steps to take to INSTALL it into my computer as you guys stated I need to do.  The printer is on there and still says driver is unavailable.  Also, when I connected the printer the Add New Hardware Wizard DID NOT come out and I tried it several times. I also went to the Add Device but nothing would show(the printer name).  Please be patient with me and help me through this.  Thanks.

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:31 AM

The latest driver for your printer available from HP is apparently for Windows Vista, but later versions of Windows should be able to use a Windows "built-in" driver (- instructions here:-

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01796879

The HTM file you have downloaded is not a printer driver.

The PSC 1200 is now a very old printer design - over 14 years old as far as I can see. If you cannot get it to work it may be worth replacing it. But have a go - I have an even older HP LaserJet 4L working on Windows 10 using the "built-in" driver & a USB-Parallel converter cable.

Edited by rqt, 28 May 2017 - 03:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users