Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Mouse works on my laptop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 carboxylic

carboxylic

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:05 AM

I have a toshiba L855-S532 laptop running windows 8.1

About a few weeks ago my usb mouse stop working. I checked the mouse on a different computer and it worked. Today I got the chance to get a new mouse and it also doesn't work. I even installed the proper driver.

Weird thing is that all the mouse shows up in the other device tab in device manager.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:15 AM

Please uninstall all mouse drivers hidden mouse drivers as well.

View Non Present Devices in Device Manager

Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

Press the windows keywindowskey_zps092d5c75.png  and the X key to open the Windows Mobility Center menu.

Select Device Manager from the menu.

Scroll down to Mice and other pointing devices, click/tap on the Driver tab, uninstall the driver/s.

When you restart the computer a new driver will be installed.

While you are in the Mice and other pointing devices look in the Driver section and click/tap on Power Management.  Make sure the box for Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power does not have a check in the box.

There is another possibility, the USB port may not be turned on.  Right click on the first icon in the list (this will have the user's or computer's name) and select scan for hardware changes.  This will force the port to power up.

Edited by dc3, 27 May 2017 - 09:03 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 carboxylic

carboxylic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:57 PM

Thanks everyone who replied. 

I tried uninstalling all mouse and other drivers (hidden and non hidden) but it still doesn't work. The USB ports definitely work because I have tested them with two different thumb drives. 

Any other advice?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 06:28 PM

One thing you may want to try is deleting all non-present USB drivers on the computer. Sometimes drivers from one device attached will conflict with another device.

Download device cleanup command. Not the tool. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. In the folder you will see a X86 folder and a X64 folder. If your Windows is 64bit copy DeviceCleanupCmd.exe in X64 to the root of C:

Open a command prompt. Type

cd C:\    
DeviceCleanupCmd *

After the command completes attach your mouse and see if it is detected. When you attach a USB flash drive the drivers will be installed again.

#6 carboxylic

carboxylic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

Thanks for the help. I still have the problem despite running the command.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:09 AM

Do you have a restore point from before the problem occurred? You should move any files from the desktop you added since the restore point to My Documents and any programs added would need to be reinstalled.

If you know someone with a powered USB hub try attaching the mouse to the USB hub and see if it works.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 May 2017 - 07:18 AM.

#8 carboxylic

carboxylic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:01 PM

Restore point and USB hub didn't work either.

I ended up just resetting my pic and that solved the issue. Hopefully it's not temporary.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:05 PM

Glad you sorted out the problem and thanks for the update. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users