Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Myth or Fact? There Are No Female Role Models.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Artwarrior20

Artwarrior20

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

Hey, guys!

I wanted to open up the floor to discussion here. In recent years (referring to this feminism hubbub), I have been hearing people say they never had any female role models growing up. Which I naturally think is false because there has been load of positive female role models or women to look up to in real life as well as in fiction. I mean, women have been in media since the very beginning and a lot of strong women too. (And no I don't mean women pretending to be strong like men are strong, but strong like a person is strong.) 

Just to name a few:
  1. Princess Leia Star Wars
  2. Padme Star Wars
  3. Buffy Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  4. Piper and Phoebe HalliwellCharmed
  5. Clementine The Walking Dead videogame
  6. Temari Naruto
  7. The Bride Kill Bill
  8. Ellie Last of Us videogame
  9. Mikasa Ackerman Attack on Titan
  10. Touka Kirishima Tokyo Ghoul
  11. Storm Superhero from Marvel's X-Men
  12. Gene Grey Marvel's X-Men
  13. Wonder Woman Superhero from DC's Justice League
  14. Sigourney Weaver (Ellen Ripley) Strong Role Model/Superhero
  15. Angelina Jolie (Maleficent, Tomb Raider) Humanitarian/Strong Woman
  16. Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) Strong Woman
  17. Mesa Tate MMA Fighter/Hero/Strong Role Model
  18. Joanna Jedrzejczyk MMA Women's Strawweight Champion/Strong Role Model
  19. Rosario Dawson (Claire Temple) Humanitarian/Strong Role Model
  20. JK Rowling Writer/Strong Role Model

To me, all these characters and women prove that being strong doesn't mean being angry or masculine, but being passionate, taking action, being supportive and by showing you give a damn. I love this, but I guess what I love most is that these women know who they are and own their bleep when they mess up, make it right, and then move forward (because responsibility and accountability makes you strong). 

The long and short of it is that hearing women not much older than my 22 year old self say they had no heroes to look up to like the Ghostbusters or Superman is very invalid in my opinion, because women have been at the center of the most famous franchises ever. I mean, we already have so many awesome women to look up to! Maybe we just need to look harder?

What do you all think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:53 AM

I see a list of actors and fictional characters.

These women are true role models

Malala Yousafzai

Amal Clooney

Michelle Obama

Christiane Amanpour

Ellen DeGeneres

Professor Fiona  Wood AM

Mother Tereza

Edited by NickAu, 27 May 2017 - 02:58 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 03:00 AM

Angela Merkel and Theresa May imo are good examples of strong female role models.

#4 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Mother Theresa is quite an unusual role model. I have just read an interesting article by Christopher Hitchins, entitled "Mommie Dearest" This presents a different picture of her. 

#5 Artwarrior20

Artwarrior20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:00 PM

@NickAu

Yes, I saw this list online. 

I agree with that. I just named those actors because they don't usually speak on their causes, Angelina to be specific. I prefer people that work without really saying what they did as they carry more weight to me than those that speak too much on them. I guess I like a bit of a modest/humble heroine who works this way from a sense of duty and less so for the public to know. But that's just me.

I love the real women that put in work for sure, I listed characters because all women would have access to this information just based in entertainment. Moreso because I feel there's even less of an excuse for people to sya there are no strong female characters they had to look up to, and as you pointed out fictional or otherwise, there always has been someone.

Edited by Artwarrior20, 28 May 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 02:24 PM

Everything is relative.

Looking at the vast majority of all the women and female characters listed here pay attention to when they came into existence, literally, figuratively, or power-wise.

I don't think that anyone can claim that there "are no female role models" but there is a dearth of female role models reaching back for generations with the same power that men had and that history paid much attention to.

I'm old enough (and I'm 55) to remember the period of my late-early childhood where the idea of a woman working was almost unheard of, except in a select few jobs/careers like nursing and teaching.  Feminism began to peak in the late 1960s through the 1970s as a social force, and it transformed things for women.

Unless you believe all writers are liars, I suggest that you take a look at the obituaries and tributes to Mary Tyler Moore.  Her character, Mary Richards, was revolutionary in her time, and one of the first depictions of an independent working woman.  The Mary Tyler Moore Show that launched that character began in 1970, and if you watch the early episodes and continue through the series you see, pretty clearly and accurately, how things were for women and were changing for women throughout the 1970s.

So, while the statement "there are no role models" for women is incorrect, the depth and breadth of same going back through history exhibits a very great and noticeable dearth before the age of feminism.   And, being the age that I am, seeing some of the backlash against feminism, which seeks only for women to have the same opportunities as men do, frightens me.   We're doing a lot of regressing on a lot of fronts in the United States these days.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Artwarrior20

Artwarrior20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:39 PM

@

britechguy

I really appreciate your input and agree. However, to address one of your concerns:1st world feminism is receiving backlash because women's rights and representation since the first wave of feminism were balanced by in large, bringing about that change you mentioned. I only fear for women outside of 1st world countries because they actually experience that oppression these 1st world feminist keep complaining about on a daily bases--but unlike in the first world those women are trying to survive and fighting for their rights.

Edited by Artwarrior20, 28 May 2017 - 07:41 PM.

#8 Accented

Accented

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:49 AM

Love her or loathe her, Oprah is a fantastic role model, and not just for women. To rise from poverty to become quite possibly the most powerful celebrity in the world is incredible. She has to be tops on any list of female role models, imo.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:49 AM

In the USA women now have a lot of power. That power they have has been wasted. The last national election proved that.

Being able to vote is about as powerful tool citizens can use in this country.

When females vote to deny other women access to health care and forcing women and girls to be pregnant then they are losing

their power to control women's position in society.

barkhorn_womenvoters1.jpg

The stated reasons to "vote no" include:

BECAUSE 90% of the women either do not want it, or do not care.

BECAUSE it means competition of women with men instead of co-operation.

BECAUSE 80% of the women eligible to vote are married and can only double or annul their husband's votes.

BECAUSE it can be of no benefit commensurate with the additional expense involved.

BECAUSE in some States more voting women than voting men will place the Government under petticoat rule.

BECAUSE it is unwise to risk the good we already have for the evil which may

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

Women have obviously forgotten or don't know about the struggle their recent ancestors endured to gain their power at

the voting booths. Those women who fought the battles are excellent role models.

Against-Womens-Suffrage.jpg

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#11 Artwarrior20

Artwarrior20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 12:34 PM

@Buddy

I completely agree with you. Women in the USA have a lot of power and waste it by pretending to be powerless then turning around and using that power to screw women over. 

#12 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:14 PM

Heck some women in the first world nations don't even seem concerned with women the third world nations, who have real oppression.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 31 May 2017 - 07:14 PM.

#13 Artwarrior20

Artwarrior20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

@SuperSapien64

Yeah, I know. I honestly despise women like that. It's like, "You are sitting pretty in a country that allows you to speak freely no matter how outrageous you are being. Other women would be killed in a third world country for dressing or speaking like you do and you have the nerve to say you are oppressed?" 

It honestly disgusts me. I have seen the darkside. I know what opression looks like and no woman from a 1st world country can say they have endured nearly as much as injustice as women in 3rd world countries.

#14 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:40 PM

@ Artwarrior20

I just finished watching The Red Pill its about a feminist who made a documentary about the mens right movement its very good I highly recommend it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLzeakKC6fE

But the SJWs and radical third-wave feminist are trying ban it, so I would recommend buying it if you like it you can rent on Amazon Video or YouTube. :thumbup2:  

#15 Artwarrior20

Artwarrior20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

@SuperSapien64

"I just finished watching The Red Pill its about a feminist who made a documentary about the mens right movement its very good I highly recommend it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLzeakKC6fE

But the SJWs and radical third-wave feminist are trying ban it, so I would recommend buying it if you like it you can rent on Amazon Video or YouTube. :thumbup2:  "

Thanks! I will definitely watch this and let you know what I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users