Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice changing WPS docs back to Words docs.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Alex411

Alex411

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

A friend accidentally downloaded WPS office and somehow converted all his Word docs to WPS docs. I have no idea how or why this happened as I have never used WPS before, nor had I ever heard of it until this incident. Is there anyway to just safely convert everything back to normal?  

This is on windows 10

Edited by hamluis, 01 June 2017 - 11:09 AM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Bus Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:52 PM

Are you sure the files were converted or are the files only now associated with WPS? Are the file extensions still .doc or docx? If yes then I would believe you can re-associate the the files with office. Right click the doc or a docx file and select open with. Select Office Word and check the box to always open with the selected program.

Note: WPS write documents have a .wps extension.

#3 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:32 PM

Yes, they're still .doc and a few .docx. I've opened a file with word but didn't get any prompts to set a default. Would it matter if I deleted WPS off his pc? I don't want to mess up any files or anything since they all have the logo above every file's pic. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

If you delete WPS off the machine and Office is still on the computer then the files should associate back to Office but I can't be sure. You can follow this guide on associating files after the WPS deletion if the association does not automatically fall back.

https://www.howtogeek.com/223144/how-to-set-your-default-apps-in-windows-10/

#5 Alex411

Alex411
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

Thank you! 

#6 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:33 AM

A friend accidentally downloaded WPS office and somehow converted all his Word docs to WPS docs. I have no idea how or why this happened as I have never used WPS before, nor had I ever heard of it until this incident. Is there anyway to just safely convert everything back to normal?  

This is on windows 10

If you delete WPS off the machine and Office is still on the computer then the files should associate back to Office but I can't be sure. You can follow this guide on associating files after the WPS deletion if the association does not automatically fall back.

https://www.howtogeek.com/223144/how-to-set-your-default-apps-in-windows-10/

Thank you! 

You and your friend will/should find that Apache OpenOffice and Softmaker/Textmaker&Planmaker will not force file associations as part of their installations, so these might be more pleasant alternatives for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users