Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taskeng.exe randomly popping up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Derpnik

Derpnik

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:06 PM

As the title says, today taskeng.exe started popping up randomly.  There's no content to the window, simply a flashing underscore, as though a command is being run.  The title bar of the window only says "taskeng.exe".  The only taskeng.exe on my system is in windows\system32.

I'm on Windows 7 x64.

I don't see anything in the Event Viewer that's been entered at the same time as one of these pop-ups.

It only started today, and I made no changes to my computer yesterday, or today (with the exception of updating MSE/malwarebytes definitions).

I did some googling, with most of it pointing towards scheduled tasks, but I sifted through the scheduled tasks, and I don't see any with a "Last Run Time" matching when I know of one popup (2:33-34 PM EST today).

I'm currently running MSE and malwarebytes full scans.

I did find this, but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be relevant, as I don't have the specified hidden task.

Can anyone help with this?  It's incredibly irritating.

Edit: I right clicked on the window in the start bar, and found it's officebackgroundtaskhandler.exe

Edited by Derpnik, 26 May 2017 - 02:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

This is the task scheduler service under Windows Vista/7/8/10. It is responsible for keeping track of tasks set to run at a time predetermined by the user, and to invoke them when necessary.

The taskeng.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, taskeng.exe is a virus.

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 26 May 2017 - 03:05 PM

I think that I might cinsider updating MS Office.

Louis

#4 Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

Guest_Aaron_Warrior_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

install and use autoruns to see if some malware is running taskeng.exe to launch something bad.

Do you/have you used registry cleaners?  This might be a legit scheduled task that has become corrupted due to the use of registry cleaners.

#5 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2017 - 10:35 AM

I also have Windows 7 x64 and had the exact same issue yesterday, right down the culprit appearing to be that office file.  The only difference was that it started happening for me at 2:17 rather than 2:33.  If we both had the same issue, it might possibly be a glitch from a recent Windows update.

Come to think of it, I noticed how the taskeng.exe window would reappear an hour later (3:17, 4:17, etc.), but failed to happen again at 7:17 and hasn't returned since (so far).  Did you notice anything like this happening on your computer derpnik?

Edit:  I noticed something interesting when I tried opening a new Word document which might be related to this.  Have you had any issues when you tried using Word? 

Edited by CrimsonCricket, 27 May 2017 - 11:01 AM.

#6 Zeeslag

Zeeslag

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 27 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

I have the same problem, I have this since yesterday. I thought it was just the task scheduler but that doesn't show a black popup normaly. for me it always launches between*:46/:47 . I used malwarebytes and avg this morning but they both failed find the problem so I thought it wasn't a virus. until later this day it opened one of those update chrome links: https://eekiemp3-funda.org/9573586460982/d3141484ad1ab215af7ce2eff89eeb24/a14e66a34840e68bd85db9c13ff675a3.html (its gone now?) it happened not long ago. as soon as I saw this I disabled all the tasks in the scheduler and used junkware removal tool and waited till *:46 the taskeng.exe still came. 

I am checking all my drives manually now for that exe but no luck yet :(

btw im also on windows 7.

EDIT: the link could be something else...

Edit 2: I removed the officebackgroundtaskhandler.exe which seems to work, or I haven't had any problems yet :)

Edited by Zeeslag, 27 May 2017 - 09:04 PM.

#7 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:21 AM

Have you tried opening an Office document? When I opened Word yesterday I got an "Opening Normal.dotm" message and Word froze.  After I closed it and tried again later, I got a message asking me if I wanted to create a new Normal.dotm.  I clicked "Yes" and now Word opens without any issue. 

#8 Lxno78

Lxno78

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

A very similar issue has been happening for different Windows versions (mainly 8. and 10). Users with OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration task causing a blank command prompt to pop-up and disappear quickly once every hour.

I don't know if that is exactly the same as the taskeng.exe pop-up but the symptoms do sound the same.

There are a few threads talking about the OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration issue

here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_officeinsider-mso_win10/officebackgroundtaskhandlerregistration-flashes-a/2600497e-78e4-41a1-9040-461cd2c3ea13

and here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/windows/comments/6dn6k4/command_prompt_popping_up_and_disappearing/?st=j3b0oi6x&sh=83e40756

Although this may not be the exact same issue, maybe one of the threads can help lead you in the right direction to fix your issue, both issues seem to be related to an update with Office.

Edited by Lxno78, 30 May 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#9 dna9

dna9

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:47 PM

virii maybe?     http://lmgtfy.com/?q=taskeng.exe

#10 PoP_kiLLaz

PoP_kiLLaz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

I have the same problems, yesterday i downloaded and installed some software, and this things happen:

1. When i log on Windows, a task eng or somesort started popping up randomly

2. Theres a widget (with a Russian language; i cant close or remove from desktop screen)

3. Theres a hardware monitors on the taskbar

4. The web browser redirect me to something like www.hot360.com (?)

......................................................................................................................................

Solution i tried

1. Download and install autorun (heres the link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns)

2. restart PC/notebook and start the safe mode

3. Login then find the autorun.exe

4. search the unusual/infected running program from the autorun menu

5. i found the most potential unwanted programs that run in my p, then i delete it from the registry...

now everything on my PC back to normal.

Happy hunting and wish you the best luck.

Thank you.

#11 Jennifer-2

Jennifer-2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 11:35 AM

Hi,

I'm new here and don't have the experience that most of you have. Would someone please explain the above post about using Autoruns? I don't understand what I should be looking for in the Autoruns result to tell whether the taskeng is a virus or a legitimate program.

Thanks

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users